Has anyone ever heard of....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniaturePrincess429

Reaction score
Have any of you ever heard of a Equine Vet that majorly specialized in Equine Reproduction. I am entering my senior year of high school next year, and I want to go to school to be a vet(if i don't get into vet svhool then I want to be a farrier). But if i become a vet i want to specialize in Equine Reproduction and all that good stuff. I also do want to breed horses of my own, but i've always been fascinated with horse breeding.

Just wondering.

You don't even have to be a vet to specialize in Equine Reproduction.

The daughter of the lady where I board is setting up a training/breeding facility... she has gone to school specifically for Equine Reproduction... she got her degree in Equine Science and took additional reproduction courses beyond that with Equine Reproduction facilities.

She has invested in all the breeding equipment so she can handle everything from stallion collection, to packing semen, to AI'ing mares.

I don't think you need a vet license to run a stallion station, etc.

Andrea

I work at a vet clinic/stallion station, all the vets there have to very well versed in repro! We did have one vet there that had a specialization of some kind (diplomate? or something) in theriogenology, he's now teaching at WCVM.

Andrea's right, look into majoring in Equine Science or Animal Science with a concentration in Equine Studies (will vary depending college) The equine reproduction program at Colorado State is probably the best program out there
default_yes.gif

The vet I used when I was in CO specialized in equine reproduction; he did other equine vet work, but his specialty was reproduction. I loved him, and miss his vet services and skills.

Latest posts

Back