Has anyone else had this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterCountry

Reaction score
Sable is at 291 days today.

I am thinking that after 300 days is fair game so I am keeping a close eye on her since I don't know her foaling history other than she is now on her third foal.

Now my question is..she has always had fluid in her bag whether she is in foal or not but it has been clear. She has no udder at all at this point, but the fluid has gone cloudy. I realize it is possible for her to foal with no udder or bag up at the last minute or even after foaling, but the ratio of mares that do this is small, so I am expecting her to be in the normal group.

Having said that, has anyone had a mare foal without an udder at all and still have fluid that changes color at the right time?

Also, Sable is very red and loose in the vulva. However, she is not mushy in the back end and she has strong tail resistance. Her belly has also got a dropped appearance.

I guess what I am asking, is should I be watching her as close as I am? I am sure I have lots of time to go, but if she foaled and I missed it, I would never forgive myself.

I would be keeping a sharp eye on her as these mares do not read the books and have foals when bags are full, small bags, no bags etc. Chances are she will not go for another month. Most mares that have had foals before bag up first, but I would still be watching her.

Your mare is showing some classic signs of preparing herself for foaling. Take note of how sticky her milk is. I guarantee it will be changing over the next days and probably weeks. If she was reading the "books", I would tell you that she has at least 2 weeks, maybe more to go.....but mares don't read the books!

Speaking of books, I highly recommend one titled, "Blessed Are The Brood Mares" by Phyllis Lose.

(sorry, typo.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Riverdance, that's what I thought.

Miniv I have a book on foaling, 'The Compete Book of Foaling" and I have a breeding book and have a miniature horse veterinary book.

I have only attended one birth and foaled the mare out myself and everything went fine, but I always worry!

I am glad you asked these questions! My mare is at 319 days and has no evidence at all of a bag!

Peggy

I do not know that my mares really needed it, but my vet was not happy with the amount of bag Hope and Lou had, and put them on Equidone / Domperidone 1x a day @ 2cc. Hope only got 2 doses before she foaled (with plenty of milk) and Lou was on it for 6 days before she foaled and she was streaming milk after the foal was born but her foal still needed plasma transfusions (little suck reflex and unable to stand the first few hours, but is doing really good now at 1wk old).

The vet told me the Equidone would not hurt and if they had gotten white milk before foaling (both did but following last doses), I was to stop giving it.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: APRIL 12

Sable has been making some strange changes. I have no idea what she is doing.

She has loose manure, her tail has little resistance and her croup has become pretty soft. She also has caved in sides, I can feel the foal as if it was in my hands, almost like there is no water bag in there, but it is kicking away in there so all is well.

All of these developments have occurred over the past 24 hours. I am hoping she is not planning to foal, but we will know soon enough. I just want her to hold off for another 2 weeks at least. This is too early for her to foal, isn't it? She is 292 days today!
default_new_shocked.gif

It sounds like she might be close to me , with no experience at all, just from reading. But Lets pray if she does it will be fine!
default_pray.gif

Latest posts

Back