Has anyone been to this Miniature Horse Auction??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickhorses

Reaction score
I am thinking of going to the Southlawn Miniature Horse Auction in Greencastle, PA. It is a good 5 hours from me so before I take off work that day and drive there with a truck and trailer, I was hoping to get some input from people that have been to this auction and could tell me what it was like as far as the number of horses that were there to be auctioned? Where there a lot of show quality horses or just pet quality or a little bit of both? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I went to their sale for the first time in October. They had some good deals on carts, harnesses, and tack. But you have to know what the item costs so you know if you are getting a good deal. As for the horses it was a mixed bag. I sat in the back so I couldn't get the best view of the horses, also the auction ring is in a "pit" so you are looking down on the animal. And it was cold so lots of horses were in winter woolies. There were a 3 driving horses for sale. There was one I was interested in--AMHA regionals champion, show horse.., but I wasn't really looking to buy. There was a big name trainer that had a lot of foals/young halter horses. Lots of horses with good pedigrees, but no show experience or "proving" themselves. Very low prices. I don't think anything sold for over $3,000 and most were around $1,000. As far as number of horses it was around 50-60...I think. Of course don't always believe everything the auctioneer is saying--they may say great conformation, but if you are seeing crooked legs, trust your eyes. Personally buying a horse from an auction is not how I would buy a horse unless I knew the horse and the seller very well. If you have any other questions let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are strictly looking for small A size (under 31") to train for our therapy program, so we are not looking for show quality. I am strictly looking for something with decent conformation, but doesn't have to be registered nor be show quality. Size and temperament is most important in what we do with ours in the therapy program.

But if there is not going to be anything there that will work for us at this auction then I won't waste my time going. So that is why I was hoping to get some more info on it

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also check out the program online ahead of time. I know they did this for the October show. That way you can get a better idea of what will be there, but not all horses will be included because some are late entries.

I've been several times, some do take their culls and some breeders take their foals. Some that have fallen on hard times take good quality horses that they haven't been able to sell. You get a mix, some culls, some pets, some registered, some not, some with great pedigrees, some that have shown, some that haven't. Best thing to do is get there the day before and go check out the horses on Fri. night, if you need to get someone to take those interested in out of the stall so you can look at them, pedigrees should be in the catalog or if the seller is present, ask questions. Check conformation, teeth lift hoofs. rub horse see if it is the horse for you, make sure papers are in order, that is so important. Good luck! The restaraunt across the street has a great buffet.

Latest posts

Back