Has any of you ever dosed yourself with Ivermectin ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
A good friend that spends a lot of time and attention on his horses was here the other day talking about deworming my Aussie with IVercare for heartguard. I asked him what he thought would happen if a human gave themself a dose of the paste dewormer. He says he does it once a month and he stays all cleared out. I say, ... how do you do it ? He says he just puts a dab on his finger, wipes it on the back of his tongue and swallows. Hmmmm.... sounds simple enough.... is this something any of you have tried? Does it work? I fully believe we as humans come into contact wiht all the same tings that give our horses worms, and our dogs worms...so it only makes sence to deworm ourselves.

Has anyone on here dewormed themselves this way> What happened>:?

No clue on that but I do know people do get worms and alot more than we realize!!

Little kids get them alot because of eating too many sweets, then they have nightmares and scaredy sessions, like hallucinations .. That is the trouble with alot of kids who wont sleep at night and have nightmares..

I know people can take a liquid dewormer, its from a health food store...

Ivermection is currently being tested for use in humans. I think that deworming yourself without a known infestation is a little silly. But to each their own.

Jan

No clue on that but I do know people do get worms and alot more than we realize!!

Little kids get them alot because of eating too many sweets, then they have nightmares and scaredy sessions, like hallucinations .. That is the trouble with alot of kids who wont sleep at night and have nightmares..

I know people can take a liquid dewormer, its from a health food store...

Huh? What does eating sweets have to do with getting worms? Just curious...

Never wormed myself, but I did accidentally vaccinate myself against West Nile Virus the other day. :DOH!

Matt, I am not a dr but was told by one years ago when this happened to my sister that this was the cause. My little sister was a junk food junkie, starting freaking out , nightmares , other scaredy sessions, took to doc and he said worms, worms like sweets in humans. She even passed them (worms)after given dewormer for humans... Then she was fine, no more nightmares, etc, of course my MOM took her off all the junk...

Young children get worms because they dont wash their hands after going to the bathroom
default_smile.png
This is how it spreads in schools etc. My neighbors son had them recently and they say its rampant in younger grades as they cant get them to wash their hands. The worms are so tiny you cant really see them expect when they come out at night. You usually know as kids will scratch their bottom a lot when they have them.

It has nothing to do with sweets and I suspect maybe your sister was told that to get her to cut down LOL

Children get worms, and too many sweets might give some children nightmares, but I don't believe that children get worms from sweets, no matter what one doctor might have said. Children do get worms from playing in sandboxes (as one example) which have been soiled by animals (cats)...they can get worms from playing with family pets....dirty fingers get put into mouths, and that results in worms.

Would I dose myself with ivermectin? No. I know several people that have used banamine on themselves, and that's an especially stupid thing to do. People have dosed themselves with bute...and have died as a result--not necessarily after one dose, but after repeated doses.

There was a thing on TV recently about parasites. Mention was made of how babies today are being raised in an environment that is too sterile. They don't get parasites, and this can actually lead to health problems--babies build a stronger immune system if they do play in sandboxes & such. When there is nothing for the immune system to "fight"--such as parasites--in some cases it then turns on itself, resulting in the auto immune illnesses. One man who had MS went to some little third world tropical country--I'll remember which country as soon as I post this but at the moment I'm drawing a blank!--specifically to give himself hookworm. He took off his shoes & socks & walked barefoot through raw sewage. He said the sewage, and the smell of it in the heat & humidity, and the feel of it was just repulsive, but he did it, and succeeded in giving himself hookworm. That cured his MS, if cured is the right word--anyway, it's been in remission since then. According to that program, people can actually be given hookworm by their doctor--it looked like the hookworms, or eggs? are placed on the skin of the arm, with a patch applied over top, and the worms penetrates the skin and infect the patient. They said this is a new treatment being used for a variety of auto immune diseases. They even listed Crohns and colitis, which I hadn't really thought were auto immune diseases (I really know nothing about either disease).

As yucky as the thought of having worms is, after seeing that program I guess if one does have some it's not necessarily a bad thing--though if I have them I'd rather not know they're there!
default_unsure.png

So no, unless my doctor were to specifically prescribe ivermectin I won't be deworming myself with it.

For the record, I didnt mean sweets gave her worms...

Dr said the worms she got maybe outside on dirty hands or after pottying, whatever, that the worms feed on the sweets in her body...

Oh my good gosh!

I stumbled upon this thread and don't meant to pry, but please get some education on human worms and the human misuse of horse dewormers. A doctor can clear those up in a person, while the horse dewormer can eat slowly away at your stomach or worse. It's not something to mess around with, and I say this with nothing but care and concern.

:Kim

I think the worms that school kids get (and their teachers!) most commonly are called "Pin Worms". And they are transferred with skin to skin contact........especially when young children don't wash their hands enough, which happens a lot.

There IS a human wormer for pin worms.

Well, I know for a fact that kids get ring worm! Though its not a worm, its a fungus. How do I know, cuz one of the little ones gave me ring worm on the back of my neck last fall from giving me a hug! Note to self....never let kids hug you around the neck anymore!

This is slightly off subject, but I have often wondered if some people maybe use their pets and horses to get drugs for themselves? It first occured to me that some would when my parents' dog had to be on narcotic pain killers, then lead me to wonder what of our horse tranqs, etc., could be used in people? And if some people take hurt animals to the vets to get drugs actually for themselves? Not happy thoughts, but I bet it happens.

Jill

I believe people were taking a cat tranquilizer as a recreational drug. I can't remember if they were giving it to themselves or others, to take advantage of the person while they were out. Believe it was referred to as special k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my good gosh!I stumbled upon this thread and don'tmeant to pry, but please get some education on human worms and the human misuse of horse dewormersA doctor can clear those up in a person, while the horse dewormer can eat slowly away at your stomach or worse. It's not something to mess aroundwith, and I say this withnothing butcare and concern.

:Kim
Exactly! Educate yourselves, and dont EVER put equine Ivermectin in your mouth
default_new_shocked.gif

Matt, I am not a dr but was told by one years ago when this happened to my sister that this was the cause. My little sister was a junk food junkie, starting freaking out , nightmares , other scaredy sessions, took to doc and he said worms, worms like sweets in humans. She even passed them (worms)after given dewormer for humans... Then she was fine, no more nightmares, etc, of course my MOM took her off all the junk...

Interesting...

Jill

I believe people were taking a cat tranquilizer as a recreational drug. I can't remember if they were giving it to themselves or others, to take advantage of the person while they were out. Believe it was referred to as special k.

Yeah. It's Ketamine. Not just a cat tranquilizer -used on many animals-. "Special K" is a very popular gay party drug.
default_wacko.png
Cannot imagine taking an animal tranquilizer to have fun
default_wacko.png

I agree with several of the posts here - let's use a little common sense! Don't take drugs that aren't specifically intended for human use, and consult your doctor if you think you have parasites! Most types of parasites are host-specific, meaning, if you aren't a horse, you can't get horse parasites. Hanging around with wormy critters isn't going to give you worms unless the worm happens to be one of the few that can take advantage of multiple hosts. What it'll do to your soul - well - that's a different matter!

Ringworm (which is a fungus) is an exception. While it can be caught by direct contact with an infected host, (I got it from a cat) it can also be picked up from contact with soil. It is also easily treated with OTC antifungals, so Irish Hills, I see no need to pass on hugs!
default_rolleyes.gif

Bunnylady,

I didn't say I was going to pass on hugs...I said I am going to pass on hugs around the neck. I don't need ringworm on my neck! I have neck troubles from a car accident (hit by a drunk driver) so for me not to get chiropractic treatments and massages so I can continue to move around because of ring worm doesn't work for me. So, I'll continue to pass on the hugs around the neck.
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It first occured to me that some would when my parents' dog had to be on narcotic pain killers, then lead me to wonder what of our horse tranqs, etc., could be used in people? And if some people take hurt animals to the vets to get drugs actually for themselves? Not happy thoughts, but I bet it happens.
Yep like Matt said, its Special K. Stupid to do because more often then not it kills people.

Hey, I know this is not what was being questioned, but I think Aussies are one of the breeds you have to be careful about giving ivermectin to! Maybe you already knew that, Kim, but if not, do your research and make your own choice, just in case!

Latest posts

Back