harness's from Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrat

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Rons Harness in Canada?

Does the presidential harness have a sliding backband? I plan on hearing from him today but knowing there are many Canadain's on this forum I thought I'd ask.

And what is the over all opinion on the leather quality and workmanship.

Thanks

I am from Ontario but am not familiar with this one.

Where is he located??

I've dealt with Ron's and was very pleased. I don't have a presidential harness so I can't give you any info on that at all. We purchased a mini team harness from them and they were very good about communication and the harness is quite nice. Not cheap leather altho we did end up with fit issues (collars fit but the harness wouldn't adjust quite small enough for the 30" geldings it was intended for. Modifications were needed (extra holes)

Amy - The address is Long Reach N. B. Canada.

Reignmaker - Thanks for the info. - I'm wanting to fit a 29" mini. - was there plenty of room for you to add the extra holes you needed? Or did you have to send it back to be modified?

Thank you both for taking the time to respond

default_saludando.gif

Edited to add the web site there is alot of good pictures and info. on his site. http://easyentrycart.tripod.com/ronshorsetackcopy/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently bought the A sized miniature harness, not the Presidential. It's a little bit small (around the bellyband) for my 33" horses, probably would fit your little guy nicely! As far as quality, I'm quite pleased with it. My big criteria was that I wanted a solid, well padded tree with a spine channel and wire in the blinders to hold them out from their eyes. It seems to be good quality leather, and is quite attractive in my opinion. It does come with open tugs, and when I asked if it was possible to get another (longer) bellyband made with wrap straps (so I could use it without breeching in the show ring), they were willing to take it back and put longer straps on the side to make it bigger around, but I was told I had to use the breeching.
default_rolleyes.gif

A friend of mine bought the B size, which I believe is the Presidential harness? It's nice, I think, nicely padded and comfortable for the horse, seemed to fit nicely, very pretty bridle. Different than what I'm used to, more of a carriage driving type harness. No sliding backband, at least I think I would've noticed, I only saw it once but I did fit it to her horse for her. It fit, just, her 34.5" gelding ... I don't think you'd want to try it on a horse much smaller, we had it about as small as it would go.

jbrat, yes there was enough space to put the extra holes in and fit it properly. My BIL also purchased a harness thro them and as I recal they sent it back for resizing but I'm not sure what the issue there was. They had no problems getting the harness corrected and returned to them tho. I really like the look of the presidential harness. It is an attractive harness and would I think look good on the horse, interesting that your friend (Kendra) had the same issues as we did where the harness was on the larger side.

Thanks for the replies!

Kendra - My big thing is a good saddle like you described, and the bridle a big plus. Is it downsized nice for a mini head? And how'd you like the padding on the brest collar?

The presidential saddle looks like it is really padded great! But maybe it won't come small enough so I really appreciate your opinion of the other A size mini harness.

When you said your friends was more of a carriage type, what did you mean?

bulkier? More padding like on the sport type harness's??????????? etc.?????

I'm really after comfort for the horse!

I want something nice enough for 4-H shows for the kids to use but comfortable and tuff enough for the Wooded- hilly trails for me
default_smile.png

Reignmaker - I'm glad to know that it all worked out, and he is good to work with as far as fixing fitting errors. Funny you both had oppposite problems - Just shows how big of a variety of shapes and sizes, our mini's can be.

Thanks again
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies!

Kendra - My big thing is a good saddle like you described, and the bridle a big plus. Is it downsized nice for a mini head? And how'd you like the padding on the brest collar?

The presidential saddle looks like it is really padded great! But maybe it won't come small enough so I really appreciate your opinion of the other A size mini harness.

When you said your friends was more of a carriage type, what did you mean?

bulkier? More padding like on the sport type harness's?

I'm really after comfort for the horse!

I want something nice enough for 4-H shows for the kids to use but comfortable and tuff enough for the Wooded- hilly trails for me
default_smile.png
Yeah, a sport type harness, extra padding on the breastcollar and breeching, would be very comfortable I think! Also the extra rings for the lines to run through on the breastcollar straps. I really liked the breastcollar, seemed a good width and lots of padding, buckle-in traces. The bridle seemed to fit him really well, with the exception of the noseband, which we couldn't get done up, though I think that had more to do with his winter beard than anything else! And it's an attractive harness, would certainly look nice in the shows for your kids! Lots I like about it! I have my doubts that you could make it small enough to fit at 29" horse, like I said, we had it down almost to it's limits, and he's not a fineboned 34.5" either. But they have a great return policy, if you wanted to try it out.

I've emailed Ron before. I am trying to talk him into making a synthetic harness. He has alot of options on the Presidential that I really like.

I bought my first harness from Ron's Harness. I have never regretted that decision. My daughter and I both showed in that harness for 3 years, until we decided that we needed two harnesses as we have two show horses. At the time Ron only had one size for minis and it was B sized, so we had to have it altered (cost 50$) locally, but now he makes A sized ones too, so that should fit your mini with very little alterations needed. The leather is strong and of the best quaility. It is not a fine show harness, but I always placed well when I used it, so it will do excellently in a 4H environment. I think you will be pleased with your purchase, I certainly was.

Latest posts

Back