harnessing a horse up questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibquackers20

Reaction score
does anyone have photos of a horse wearing a biothane harness that has the breeching with 2 straps on each side of the horse and also a photo of it all hitched up to an easy entry cart that has a loop on the shafts.

I am new to harnessing a mini to an easy entry cart and a biothane harness - I do have a leather harness but it is for my smaller guy who pulls my roadster 1 seater.The biothane one is quite different looking than my leather one and my roadster does not have a loop under the front of the shafts.
default_unsure.png

does anyone have photos of a horse wearing a biothane harness that has the breeching with 2 straps on each side of the horse and also a photo of it all hitched up to an easy entry cart that has a loop on the shafts.

I am new to harnessing a mini to an easy entry cart and a biothane harness - I do have a leather harness but it is for my smaller guy who pulls my roadster 1 seater.The biothane one is quite different looking than my leather one and my roadster does not have a loop under the front of the shafts.
default_unsure.png
Are you referring to the footman's loop ?

I don't have any pictures handy but I bet Leia does.

I just bumped a thread with good pictures up to current for you.

"driving harness collars ??"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya'll have got to quit having quite so much faith in me! *LOL* Okay, well, I do have a photo actually
default_rolleyes.gif
but I'll have to dig it out when I get home from work tonight.
default_wink.png
There's also a good website with pictures at Regency Miniatures that shows exactly how to wrap the strap.

I'll post more later!

Leia

This is not the best view but maybe you can use it to point out what you're asking about. It's not a biothane but the breeching does have two straps over the butt -but then only a single strap that wraps the shaft. (note: the traces are slack here because [if you look close you'll see how the breeching is tight] he's stopping)

chipNursinghome1.jpg

here's a pic. of one of our Betathane harness's

100_1331.jpg

Hope it helps!

Okay, I'm finally back on with a picture. It was very nice of Sandee and Jbrat to post photos, thank you guys! Just a small critique or two since the poster is asking the technically correct way to do up breeching....

In Sandee's shot the holdback strap appears to be wrapped behind the footman's loop instead of in front of it and is not tucked under the last wrap; on Jbrat's the traces are running above the holdback instead of through the buckled loop and because her cart has the footman's loops too far back (something you'll see on a lot of mini carts) she had to wrap a lot of extra strap behind the loop as well as in front of it.

The correct way to connect the breeching is to bring the holdback strap forward under the shaft and trace and run it through the loop towards the outside without twisting. Wrap the strap forward of the loop and around the shaft towards the inside enough times to take up the slack and still have enough room to buckle. Twice is desirable, three times okay, more than that and you should be adjusting either holdbacks or the location of the footman's loop if it's your permanent cart and harness. When you have enough wraps tuck the end of the strap under the LAST wrap, the one closest to the breeching, then buckle it in over the trace so the trace runs through the open space without being caught in any of the wraps.

Here's a quick crop of my breeching with the Hyperbike.

IMG_9226-1.jpg

Because my traces drop to a lowered singletree I don't run it through the holdback strap but rather through a specific "trace carrier" that hangs from my breeching ring. If I had a particularly high singletree I might let the traces run above the holdback straps to avoid pulling the traces out of alignment but generally on an easy entry cart it should run through the buckled holdback strap.

Leia

great photos guys, I think my breaching is to short because the photo from hobbyhorse23 my breaching does not sit where yours is instead with it on the last holes it sits near the butt, I can not get it that far up to the crease of the leg , mine only reaches at the back side (hard to explain will have to go out later today and snap a photo of it on - right now I have to drop a child off at daycare and get the winter matts out of my dogs fur. Then I will get there because I also want to try the new bridle on him to see if it fits.

Just a word of caution - don't drive with your breeching lower than Leia's or higher unless you stay on the flat. With the breeching below the curve of his buttocks you could take his feet right out from under him when they come into play on a hill. With it up closer to his tail it could easily slip right up and goose him and you will have a wreck on your hands and I wouldn't even drive on the flat with it like that. Take it off and stay on flat ground till you get a longer hangar strap for it. Did you assemble your harness yourself? If so, are you SURE you used the right piece of leather for it?

I have fairly clear diagrams of how to wrap the breeching and tug wraps on my website My Webpage

not sure if I like the fit of the biothane harness,here are a few photos of him harnessed with it I think some parts to big/bridle and the breaching to small ??the blue haulter is made so you can tie yhem while bridle is on and can be removed when ready to work with by undoing the buckles - I think is a cool idea -- should mention first time in a harness and he did really good while I fiddled with buckles --- mini in training -- still has winter wollies and belly

princeandharness002.jpg

princeandharness003.jpg

princeandharness004.jpg

princeandharness005.jpg

I agree with you, the breeching does not fit correctly. BUT there are people on this forum with a lot more expertise than me and I'll let them answer.

Did the harness come with a side check or just an over check ?

You won't be able to use the over check in any ADT, CDE, type of events.

Could they have sent a "a" size breeching ? Maybe you can exchange for a "b" size.

One of the problems in harness fit without measurements is this "A" size "B" size thing.

My horses are all "A" size, 33". First thing Janie with Chimicum said when she saw my horse is, "you need a "b" size harness" Sure enough, she was right. It's the first harness I've bought that actually fits properly.

What a good baby to stand still while us humans poke and prod.

I do not plan on showing he is just for pleasure here at home , harness said it fits minis from 31-37 inches but I think there must be a mistake because the breaching seems to small and the bridle seems to big

I do not plan on showing he is just for pleasure here at home , harness said it fits minis from 31-37 inches but I think there must be a mistake because the breaching seems to small and the bridle seems to big
Certainly looks that way to me.

If you're just driving at home, try taking the check off.

I'm curious about the check too. It looks like you have both.

Side checks usually run up the cheek by the bridle, and over-check ususally X across the front of face.

I'm getting rid of the check on my betathane harness, it is a side check and I think it is like yours. (goes up from the bit thru the ring behind the ear and the goes back like round (contest)reins to loop thru the water hook) my problem with that set up is, I like a loose check and with this type they can get caught over the terrets. On our other harness the side checks are better they come thru the holder ring behind the ear on the bridle but then about half way down the neck and become 1 rein to connect to the water hook. Hope that makes sense? You may decide you don't need a check at all if your not showing where it is required.

I also agrees the breeching doesn't fit right.

Thanks Leia for the detail about the holdback wrapping, That was an old picture from when we started, but I still don't feel I've mastered the wrapping technique.

Oh my. No WONDER you were having trouble getting things to fit!
default_new_shocked.gif
I hate to say it but that harness is one of those made by someone who had no idea what they were doing. As others have said it seems to have sidecheck attachments on the side but a nonfunctional overcheck across the face that doesn't attach to anything, the saddle ends way above the tug loops so offers the horse no protection at all from the shafts, the breeching is sized completely wrong and probably wouldn't fit anything but a dwarf. The holdback straps are not made to be wrapped at all, only snapped, and offer no adjustment or ability to BE wrapped. Conway buckles there? Not a good choice for any part you're going to be adjusting frequently! The bridle is poorly designed and of questionable materials (I don't think you could make those blinkers sit comfortably against the cheek no matter how much you tightened it) and and and....
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif

Your difficulties in fitting this are not your fault! It's the harness itself. I've got nothing against inexpensive harness and certainly not against synthetic materials but this one is unsafe and should be returned immediately. If you've got your heart set on biothane I'm sure we can find you a better one and if you don't mind leather I'd recommend Ozark Mtn's pleasure harness for $240. It isn't fancy but it's designed correctly and it's safe.

I agree by the way, your little mini-in-training did very well! He's clearly being quite patient.

Leia

I talked with my dealer and we settled on trying another harness made of beta thane,so she is sending it to me. If I like it better and it fits right then I will only have to send 1 back but if I do not like the way the beta thane one fits then it to will go back, and will have to settle on leather -- I would like one that is easy to clean and fits properly. Safty for myself and my mini is first. Does anyone have a clear and good photo of a beta harness, I checked a couple sites for one that I can see a clear shot of it but have come up blank - hard to see a photo at a distance.

Thanks for the advice I knew there was something just not right.

The pic. I posted is of a Beta thane harness made here in Ohio.

Betathane looks and feels alot more like leather. Biothane is more of a shiny/glossy finish. It also stiffer, IMO.

Betathane and biothane are just two different kinds of synthetic material any level of harness can be made from. There are very good betathane harnesses and very bad ones. I haven't seen any particularly good biothane harnesses but that's because the plasticy material isn't well suited to harness-making by itself. So just because you don't like the betathane harness you get doesn't mean you have to go to leather! You just need to shop around and choose a GOOD betathane harness. The one I showed is synthetic, it's a Camptown.

Leia

Latest posts

Back