Harness Labeled parts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn the parts of a harness. And this was shared on another FB board I am on. Thought I would share it with you all, as I thought it was pretty detailed, I think. But then again, I know nothing and am just now learning.

1468597_706500436040505_897966904_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty complete to me. My terminology is somewhat different for a couple of things, but not sure if I'm wrong or the diagram or neither.

Crown-Head Stall

Shaft Loop-Fill or Fills

Trace-Tug

Dr. Taylor

Yeah, I noticed that, after I posted it here. Names were a bit different with what I was hearing and seeing. I like that is was on a horse, so I could visualize it better. For me anyway. Another person, here had done the labeling on it being laid out, but my computer screen is so small, I can't see what they say. LOL I only have a laptop. If I ever find a diagram, on a horse, that has terms with what I have actually heard, I will share that too.

There was a very nice poster at the ASPC/AMHR Convention this year from CDE (I think) that had a correctly harnessed horse with labels.

I do think the fills were mislabeled, but it still was a good poster.

Dr. Taylor

FYI... if you are having trouble reading it, try clicking on it, then pressing "<Ctrl> +" several times to zoom in on it.

Some harness parts have different names depending on the discipline you're doing. (Like in English riding its a girth and in Western it's a cinch).

Draft horses call it "britchen" and fine harness is usually "breeching". Draft horses have "tugs" and fine harness has "traces" though the draft people have "trace carriers" so that's odd to me
default_smile.png

Winkers and blinkers and blinders are interchangeable but no matter which one is used they call the wire straps connecting "winker stays" even if it's "blinders" they are holding in place. So again, that's odd to me.

A back pad and a saddle are the same thing for a harness though the saddle usually refers to having a tree of some sort.

A spider might be called a rump safe in a draft harness.

The check hook, I've known as a "waterhook".

I call it a bridle and never a head stall. The crown is specifically the strap that sits on the poll behind the ears to me, so it's the "crown on the bridle".

Horse jargon is never super easy to learn because everyone calls things different things.

We call the crown the headpiece. Tugs are the shaft holders and traces are....well, traces!

Blinkers are pretty much always blinkers.

And then there is about 8 different styles of draft harness of which there seems to be only two major "types" or styles used for minis and shetlands.

Some have different parts named different things... I have a little bit of time, might get some of them copied and diagrammed over Christmas holidays.

I would love to have a set of "side backer" draft harness - but have the feeling that that would be too much "stuff" in the front of the little guys (even my larger shetlands) even if it would be nice to not have to do quarter straps under their bellies... hmm.

Latest posts

Back