Harness for hyperbike

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone? I need advice please. We are just getting started. I am about to purchase a harness just to continue ground driving. We are using surcingle now. Since I might want a hyper bike someday, I wanted to know which harness to get now. Also...,Since I’m just starting out, I wanted to get a suitable harness that is well made but will not break the bank in case he doesn’t like driving. He did have a bad driving accident 10 years ago and hasn’t been driven since. So, I’m starting over from the beginning. The Pluto harness looked decent to school in.

He is at the max end of AMHR being 37 3/4 at last hair so does anyone know what size bit to buy? He does not have one of those fancy, refined show heads. He has a cute Shetland head that is more like a bucket (and I say that with love)! Thank you for any help!

You can use any harness with the Hyperbike :) It's best to use a breast collar style harness, like the one you linked above, but I have even seen people using a collar and hames style farm harness to pull the bike!

Oh I missed the bit question! You can measure his mouth by either using a soft measuring tape and running it through his mouth (don't let him chew it or swallow it!) and measuring from the outside of his lip one one side to the outside of his lip on the other. Or use a dowel, slip it in his mouth, mark one side and then mark the other side, remove from his mouth and measure!

I like to use a mullen style mouth piece, a single piece bit, when starting horses. They tend to fuss with it a lot less than bits with lots of moving parts.

I got a butterfly arch bit from Iowa Carriage. The mare I'm working with now wasn't working well with the french link; too much movement. The butterfly arch can change the leverage also. I think it is a very nice bit.
4" should work with your guy, but it's pretty easy to measure. Make a pencil mark on the dowel and photograph it; the bit folks can help you decide on the size that way if you are not sure.
Good luck with retraining him. Hope all goes well. We look forward to hearing more.

Latest posts

Back