Harness fitting help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stripe13

Reaction score
Hey all!
This was my first time fitting a harness by myself, so I wanted to get your guy’s opinions and see if I need to do any more adjustments. Rebel isn’t in the cart yet, but she has just started on ground driving :)

ddyf5ru-395d6ddf-4525-42c9-ae40-9bb4e6cbe7aa.jpg

ddyf5sc-2b67c23f-4b97-4dac-9896-a24d70abd25e.jpg

ddyf5su-1a80bdde-ec8b-477a-8aee-29bbef1c1daf.jpg

1fe71e22_87ca_4fc8_8db2_fd4108595934_by_stripe13_ddyf5tf-pre.jpg

ddyf5ts-c197878e-acd7-442c-b489-3e25fbb7e46f.jpg

ddyf5u3-3788a52d-0206-408d-9824-80259a7527e1.jpg

ddyf5tw-97579014-0f52-4c99-b062-231d11981be2.jpg

The one thing that jumps out at me is that the breaching is too low. The strap should be around the biggest part of the rump. Others may have more suggestions. It's hard to tell a lot until they are hooked up to the cart. :)

I would tighten the backstrap a little and raise the breeching a bit. Other than that I’d say it looks pretty good! She’s a very pretty little gal :)

On a second glance...what’s going on with the bridle? It looks like a second throatlatch? Is that the strap for the noseband? I can’t tell from the picture.

Is that the Ozark Mountain pleasure harness? It looks pretty familiar...if so that’s the harness I started with! Good solid little harness. I didn’t have any problems with it other than the fact that I can’t be bothered to clean leather tack :p

I would tighten the backstrap a little and raise the breeching a bit. Other than that I’d say it looks pretty good! She’s a very pretty little gal :)

On a second glance...what’s going on with the bridle? It looks like a second throatlatch? Is that the strap for the noseband? I can’t tell from the picture.

Is that the Ozark Mountain pleasure harness? It looks pretty familiar...if so that’s the harness I started with! Good solid little harness. I didn’t have any problems with it other than the fact that I can’t be bothered to clean leather tack :p

I will definitely try that!
the extra strap on the head stall is for the noseband! I let a friend barrow this harness and she took off the noseband so I’m getting that back from her soon XD It is in fact a Ozark mountain pleasure harness :) It was my first harness as well!

I agree raise the breeching. The science behind it is if it pulls tight where it is it will pull your horses rear legs forward and underneath causing them to possibly fall down. You want it up higher so as it pushes into them then can still brace their legs to take the weight.

Also a little trick that I learned with this harness (I have one too!) to keep the saddle from leaning back too badly and the neck strap in place is to make the neck strap as loose as possible then hook it back over the waterhook.

Latest posts

Back