Harness and shaft assembly for driving triples

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slonewbt

Reaction score
Hi! the lady I bought my minis from, gave me a never used set up (complete harness and shaft assembly to drive a third mini in triangular formation in front of a team of two.) I have no desire to drive a trio and would like to sell these items. All came from Driving Essentials and are of very nice quality. Any suggestions as to where to sell such a specialized thing?

Contact Driving Essentials or another shop and see if they sell used equipment. They might be willing to list it on their site for you. Do you have pictures? I may be interested....

Contact Driving Essentials or another shop and see if they sell used equipment. They might be willing to list it on their site for you. Do you have pictures? I may be interested....

I just contacted Driving Essentials. :). Where are you? I'm in California and shipping the harness would be easy...the shaft set up, not so much! lol. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. It's all in brand new condition. We have a local driving club I can ask as well but not many people drive doubles here, so probably not likely to find anyone interested locally in triples.

Driving essentials looked up the order and said that the driving shaft was built specifically for my cart and I should keep that with the cart as it probably won't work with a different kind of cart. They are getting me more information on the harness. I took some pictures but am not on the right cptr to share. I will do as soon as I can.

Does the pole have the hook on the end for a third tree to attach to?

It's a really cool setup if you've got a really steady lead horse. You never know, you might want to try it some day.

Does the pole have the hook on the end for a third tree to attach to?

It's a really cool setup if you've got a really steady lead horse. You never know, you might want to try it some day.

I'm not sure how to even set the thing up! haha. I'm new to driving doubles so not sure about the unicorn setup. Here are pics of what I have. There is a bridle too but I haven't sorted through the bridles yet. I also have a single shaft set up that I think is for my Glinkowski cart....this gal I got it all from bought the best of everything! I love it. So....I'm attaching photos but I don't know what everything is for or called. I'm waiting to hear back again from Driving Essentials. They are amazing. This is what they told me I have but I need to double check that it's all there;
1. Tandem leader reins

2. Tandem leader traces

3. Tandem trace carriers

4. Tandem saddle

5. Tandem girth (no overgirth)

6. Breastcollar & neckstrap for single driving

7. Turnback & crupper

8. Bridle (specially made with an overcheck)

Attachments

• IMG_4120.jpeg
    IMG_4120.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4121.jpeg
    IMG_4121.jpeg
    916.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4122.jpeg
    IMG_4122.jpeg
    885.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4124.jpeg
    IMG_4124.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4125.jpeg
    IMG_4125.jpeg
    494.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4126.jpeg
    IMG_4126.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4127.jpeg
    IMG_4127.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4128.jpeg
    IMG_4128.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4129.jpeg
    IMG_4129.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 4
I think you should hang on to it all for a bit. It's not easy to come by and you may get the hankering to try something new.

With that harness you can also drive a tandem hitch with one in front of the other.

Unicorn and tandem take a lot of ground driving and practice but it's such a cool/rare skill to have.

I think you should hang on to it all for a bit. It's not easy to come by and you may get the hankering to try something new.

With that harness you can also drive a tandem hitch with one in front of the other.

Unicorn and tandem take a lot of ground driving and practice but it's such a cool/rare skill to have.

That was part of the problem for the former owner. She couldn't find anyone skilled in that sort of driving to teach her or the minis. The closest she could find was on the east coast and we're in California. :) She had the cart attachments built specifically for her cart at Driving Essentials in hopes to learn but it never happened. I'm pretty new to driving and pretty much just dink around for fun....I'll hang onto it for awhile maybe....thanks for the encouragement!

Well...Andy Marcoux of Coachman's Delight does do online training and he says tandem is his very favorite! So that's an option if you're up for a challenge. :)

Okay...the folks at Driving Essentials are amazing. They sent me a list of all of the tack and equipment I have along with current pricing....and the maintenance sheets for my cart. (All of it was purchased from them several years ago so they had the records of everything purchased). I'm very impressed with their customer service!

I've gotten a few of his articles (which were helpful) and have a couple of his classes on my wish list but haven't done it yet. I was hoping to get over to him in person this summer (he's only about 40 minutes from me) but I just took a new job and I doubt I'll have time to do it. Maybe in the fall!

I was trying to remember what it was called and finally remembered. Troika. Had a customer in Russia who sent me pictures of that setup and I have seen it a few times at the AMHA World Show years ago.
Russian Troika

I was trying to remember what it was called and finally remembered. Troika. Had a customer in Russia who sent me pictures of that setup and I have seen it a few times at the AMHA World Show years ago.
Russian Troika
So interesting! I think a Troika is similar to driving "three abreast" which differs from driving in unicorn formation...here's a good article for anyone who wants to know: Driving configurations | EHI Virtual Museum

Latest posts

Back