Hardshipping in AMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSharpRanch

Reaction score
I have a stallion that I purchased a long time ago (6-7 years), as a weanling. I have his breeder's certif and it is filled out on the transfer section. It is for AMHA. I never registered him as by the time he was a yearling he was hitting 34 inches. He is between 36-37 inches now. Can I hardship him into AMHR even though he wasn't registered with AMHA, but his parents were? How would I go about doing this? Thanks

Some one with more knowledge will probably come along say for sure, but I'm pretty sure you have to have AMHA papers in hand, in your name to hardship to AMHR, so likely you are out of luck with your boy. Sorry. I have a couple that outgrew their AMHA papers, but luckily had AMHR papers.

Best to call the office...they are very helpful people at AMHR. But I believe that Chanda is correct - that you will need to have the A papers in hand - in your name - before you can hardship into R. You probably should also call the AMHA office since he is now an aged stallion. I don't know if they will require DNA and parentage qualification or not.

He does need AMHA papers to hardship into AMHR. The issue now is he is over 34" and he would have to be Parent Qualified because he is over 2 years old. So his sire and dam would also have to be DNA'd if they are not already. If either are not alive, then again you are stuck. Good rule of thumb, even if you think your horse will go over its AMHA papers, get them registered and in your name before it happens. It will save you from having an unregisterable horse in the end. Sorry its not better news.

This is probably a dumb question, but I adopted a miniature horse about 3 years ago and I have been showing him and he has done AMAZING! I cant find anything on the website but is there any way I can get him into AMHA (maybe a hardship)? I don't know his parents but I was able to hardship him into WCMHR without that info. Thought I would ask
default_smile.png

This is probably a dumb question, but I adopted a miniature horse about 3 years ago and I have been showing him and he has done AMAZING! I cant find anything on the website but is there any way I can get him into AMHA (maybe a hardship)? I don't know his parents but I was able to hardship him into WCMHR without that info. Thought I would ask
default_smile.png
This year is the last year to hardship into AMHA, then they plan to close their books. If the horse is under 34" and you want to spend the money, you can hardship into AMHA. I don't know all the details, but I'm sure someone would be happy to help or just contact AMHA and get the information you need.

http://www.amha.org/

Please take minimomNC advise. Education for the new buyers, if you wish to purchase an AMHA horse, young stock, get it in writing that they will remain under 34"s, if not already registered AMHR then hardship in right away. Please learn from my mistakes, I've purchased several AMHA only horses, harshipped them into AMHR, shown them had them go over, lose their AMHA papers, and now can't sell them because they are only registered AMHR without the ASPC or AMHA. In other words these horses have lost their value. Sorry for the rant, but I just want others to know the truth, and to be advised.

I dug out my guy's paperwork today when I got home. Both parents are Parentage Qualified! So then I went out and grabbed him and brought him up to the concrete porch. Hubby help me measure him. He is right at the 34 inches. With a hoof trim he will be under. Here all these years I figured he was taller then that, I guess he didn't grow after hitting a year old. And his stall side mates are 31" so they must have made him look so much larger. So I am going to get him cleaned up and get his papers!Picture_000298-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very happy for you, it will cost more now than it was 7 years ago, but at least he can now be double registered. You won't have to have anyone measure him to register him in AMHA, just send in four current photos, one of each side and two from the front. The application, breeders certificate and transfer and a request for DNA testing. They can email you the DNA test kit which is usually faster. Once the DNA is done and the horse is PQ then they will issue his papers. Then you need to make a copy of the front and back of the AMHA papers to hardship into AMHR. However, have you checked to see if his sire and dam are AMHR registered? If you would like to send me their names, I can check for you pretty easy.

Thanks, I know his sire's name is Grosshills Top Secret. I belive his dam's name is EW Delightful Lady. (Those are the AMHA names) Thank you so much. I was so tickled last night.

You will have to hardship into AMHR as well, his sire is AMHR registered but his dam isn't.

Latest posts

Back