Hard mare to breed - suggestions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosaroca

Reaction score
Have an AMHR/ASPC mare that we tried to breed today. She's standing and flirting, squatting, the whole nine yards - but only as long as a fence separates her from the stud. As soon as he's in the same pen (both of them haltered and held), she goes ballistic and tries to kill him. He's doing his part. He's an experienced breeder and says she's ready. I don't have any breeding hobbles and I"m not sure how to improvise some. Any suggestions?

Either she is not ready, whatever they both say, or - and not that unusual - she simply doesn't like him!

You will probably get lots of helpful replies to your problem, but I would never force a mare to be covered (hobbles etc) as I believe that if they wont accept the stallion 'naturally' then there may well be something wrong and a reason as to why they are not supposed to breed. Just the way I feel.

Wishing you good luck!

I wouldnt force her either , cant offer any ideas without more info , you dont say what age she is , is she a maiden ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend to keep teasing her everyday to see if and when she is ready, some mares will show signs and not be ready at all. Stallions seem to be ready all the time. If all else fails, try pasture breeding in a very large paddock where the stallion can get away from her if she is in fight mode, and keep a watchful eye on them. I'm like you I like to breed in hand so I know the exact dates of breeding, but to be honest, I have one old mare that won't co-operate in this setting, she wants it on her terms and that is all natural. This mare is now 20 yrs. old and I've never seen her breed or deliver even under camera, she breeds at night and will deliver in something like 15 minutes while eating, I swear she is a pill. I've checked her and she is eating, go to feed the others and she will deliver while I'm still feeding, get up and go back to eating. Some mares are just funny this way.

I use a twitch if I am sure the mare is in heat and not just being submissive. I have some mares, that for whatever reason, want to swing side to side during breeding and I will twitch those as well, to keep them from moving.

I've had this happen a few times. Have your vet check her for a retained CL (corpus luteum).

Does she have a foal at side? Some mares are "every other year mares " or need to have the foal out of the nearby vicinity.

Otherwise, the timing is off.

I agree with AnnaC. We don't recommend forcing either. We also do pasture breeding....even though we've cut back on breeding in general. Every stallion has his area with space to run, so when we put in a girl, she can tell him off and get away until she's "ready".

What makes a difference is having an experienced fellow or if the gal is a maiden.

I have a maiden mare that I'm having the same issue with

Put a blanket on the stallion, preferably one of the mares. Try a gain......

HI Pat, I'm one of these weirdos that think if nature doesn't want to take its course, there's a reason and I don't tempt the gods. I wouldn't force it either. Heck, there's plenty enough foals out there.

I had a maiden mare act this way. We rigged hobbles and bred her. The only reason she didn't end up with a baby, according to vet, was she must have gotten some fescue. She carried also 340 to the day but bagged about a month early and delivered stillborn. So there was no real physical reason for her to not accept the stud. Now she a real hussy to everyone when she's in estrus. IMO old wives tale to not breed if they don't like each other.

I used her halter a rope through the halter to the back legs, between her front legs. Fastened the rope to soft straps on back legs. This doesn't mean she still won't kick out with both feet. This type of force breeding is NOT for faint of heart(nor weak arms).

Another suggestion would be to get vet to give her the shots and meds of estrogen for breeding. This sometimes makes them so willing to bred that they are the instigators for the breeding. More than cooperative they insist!

My maiden was this way. My sister gave her a "talkin" to, I tied her to the stall, and she stood. Some are just fearful of the unknown. Never had a problem with her since. She is my love, and has given birth 4 times to the stallion she was most belligerent about. Very glad to have horses that tie great. Those two act like a married couple. Joe is always the most concerned about tori. Niobe and lex are always acting in love, and jamie wanted top to herself. Sometimes the mares are as particular, or more particular than human women. Go figure the tiniest mare in my herd hussies it up to the largest stallion :p

I would never force one either... it could cause physical or yet psychological harm to the mare. I would have her vet checked and if she is ok and everything is on 'go', I agree with possible pasture breeding in a roomy area or lot. You can still keep track of dates. This year I brought the stallion in first thing every morning (he meets me at the gate, lol) and turn him out at dinner time. The food helps keep them occupied but he quietly goes and checks the girls and I can tell you who is in heat and who is not and I just keep track on my calendar.

There could be something simple going on that some minor assistance from your vet could fix and get her on her way to a regular receptive heat cycle.

Latest posts

Back