Hard bump near corner of mouth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Flats

Reaction score
Annie has developed a small, larger than a pea, but smaller than a marble hard bump near the corner of her mouth. It's on the surface not inside her mouth. No opening.
Taking a wait and see approach, but don't want to put a bit in her mouth. I did have a pony years ago that had a bump just like it and I had the vet out and it just went away.

Attachments

• 20200712_200721.jpg
    20200712_200721.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 7
Can you feel it? It isn't food? Can horses get canker sores? Oh, I just reread what you said.....a fly bite??

Is it painful? Abscess?
I think you're right, I would wait and see unless it was bothering her or it was getting really big fast.

Last edited:
Any animal that eats grass, hay, even small sticks (talking goats here!)is vulnerable to abscess. Don't know if that's what it is. I had a goat who developed a large abscess in just a couple of days. I was shocked when I read that goats with an abscess are usually put down and my vet confirmed this! So, I figured I had to take matters in my own hands because I didn't want to lose her and lanced it myself. She went on to live for several more years.

It was sudden so I am thinking bug bite. I think it would have festered if it was a foxtail or something else in there and be sore. At first she didn't want me touching it, but then she is snarky in general about having her mouth handled. This would be the 4th day and I I'm not sure but it may be a little smaller. I hitched her and drove her today and there was no pain at all from the bit. She was a happy girl and she would have let it be known if it was a problem. Hoping it goes away as suddenly as it appeared.

My guy has a soft bump on his nose which I think is due to his muzzle. Regardless, I put antibiotic cream on it and it causes the swelling to go down. Maybe some cream would help especially if it's a bug bite.

Latest posts

Back