Happy Holidays from the Flying Bee Farm, Trenton, TN!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinihorseMom

Reaction score
Good Morning All! We moved to western Tennessee 8 months ago after purchasing a 5 acre homestead and we are brand new horse parents. We are adopting two mini horses from a rescue in Jackson, TN. They should be here on Christmas we are just finishing up stretching our fence line for them. They came into rescue around the first of October, both are mares and bonded to one another. We know very little about their previous existence. One little girl had hooves that were 8 to 10 inches long, they have since been trimmed down and they both saw the farrier about a week ago. She still walks pretty gingerly at times, but at least is walking and standing more and more, the bone in her hooves is good. They both also have Cushing's and we are looking forward to getting them healthier and happier. We're also excited to find this forum to help us take care of them.

Attachments

• 20201127_101250.jpg
    20201127_101250.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201127_101302.jpg
    20201127_101302.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201127_102024 (2).jpg
    20201127_102024 (2).jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 7
Welcome and congratulations, they're adorable! You are going to have so much fun with them, what a great Christmas gift for all of you.
Thanks so much!! We are excited! We have had Newfoundland dogs for 30 yrs (7 total) and our current two with us here! I think they are bigger than the minis!

Kuddos to you for rescuing!

We have an older mare who has Cushings, but still gets around. One product that seems to help is "Buteless Pellets". It's a holistic way to address her discomfort.

PS: It's NOT cheap. One small bag which lasts 2 weeks + is just under $25. A scoop comes inside. I started by giving her (and I've used it with other oldsters) a scoop twice a day for a couple of days, then continue it with a scoop once a day. They have always taken it right out of my hand. You should see improvement with your girl in about a week.

Kuddos to you for rescuing!

We have an older mare who has Cushings, but still gets around. One product that seems to help is "Buteless Pellets". It's a holistic way to address her discomfort.
Thanks Maryann! I have done some research and found a company in California that has a natural way of treating PPID or Cushing's ...I will slowly wean them off of the Prascend and gradually introduce the new protocol. I know I need to be aware of their grass grazing and of course need to keep sugar intake low. An other tips are welcomed!

From what I could see of your pictures, they look in pretty good shape! I'm assuming they aren't getting grain because, like you said, they don't need the sugar or carbs. We've had a few situations over the years with laminitis/founder but fortunately have caught it early. NO pasture, just grass hay with a supplement, and the BL Pellets. We've been VERY lucky. <knock on wood>

I've also discovered LMF Senior Lo Carb is good for kids who have owchy feet and could put on some weight. It is 13% protein, no sugars, and contains Glucosemene. Just a product to put in your brain - "just in case" down the road.

Latest posts

Back