Happy Appy Acres - Sugar **colt 5/2**and Cheerio angel filly 5/10

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
Well after hubby let all the minis out on pasture at the same time with Jack (colt) out in his paddock, I ended up with at least 2 bred mares. I tried to get him gelded in the early spring but had to cancel because of family members with health issues. I have had 2 confirmed in foal by blood test only because my vet wont do U/S on minis. Tonight I'm sure I felt movement for the first time. I have one more mare that might be in foal but not confirmed. She wasn't here the day they were turned out with the colt next door but hasn't come into heat most of the summer or fall. I'm not a breeder, just a driver!
default_smile.png

Bug season came very early here on Ontario this year so I didn't book another appt until Nov. The vet had to cancel that one and the next that I had for the first week of December. Now hopefully we get this done on the 28th. It's going to be a crazy time for me in April. I'm going back to school in Jan and will be in class until June. I have told the college that I might have to leave quickly. lol They said this will be the first foaling excuse they will ever be given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Can we see pics of the Moms to be and the sire?

I also have one mare due in April, so we can foal watch
default_smile.png
My mare is an Arabian bred to my Wesh for a nice Welara...cant wait!

Sounds as though next April could prove exciting - congrats!!

Here is a little video of Apple Jack. He is such a card! I can't wait to gt him in cart. He is one flashy little mover.

This is how the girls were bred. They were safe today because I was standing there and they were only out for a few minutes to run around in the fresh snow. Its the first snow we have had this year.

IMG_0368_zps885b915c.jpg

This picture has both Cheerio (Left front) and Sugar (Right front). Not a great picture but one from this fall.

20121130_150438.jpg

Cheerio's christmas shot.

dec4037.jpg

Sugar's christmas shot.

dec4041.jpg

AwwwE!!!Pretty girls!

Awww.. pretty girls! And Jack is very handsome! Looks like maybe a chance for spots with Cheerio???

Cheerio is a Leopard appy with irregular spots. No Pinto in her lines but she does have some spots that are grouped together on her left side where the saddle would sit. She is white in the summer with sorrel spots. Every year she gets more spots. She started with only 2 as a weanling. Jack is a pintolossa and Sugar is a red dun.

Woohoo!!! looks like we will be seeing lotsa spots! Miss Diane and I will both be very happy!

Sugar has nice conformation and so does Jack but Cheerio was the farm mascot. I would never of bred her. She has a longer body than I like and is a little shorter than I want. I like the taller minis and I'm now getting a couple of smaller ponies. My hubby is a bigger man and he wants to get into driving too. This year going to the National Drive got him hooked on driving. He was telling me before the week was through that I needed to teach him to drive.

I have two mares bred (purposely LOL) and due mid April also. Both were confirmed by U/S and one was re-confirmed in late October with Wee Foal 120. Hoping all goes well and that we will be watching mares together in a few months. We will be on Mare Stare and will post on here too. This forum was SO helpful last year.. it's your fault we had such a great year so decided to breed again! We are also breeding for driving minis.

I go on marestare also. Right now I am figuring out how to get it on my phone. I need to be able to watch while in class. Might have to consider uping my data amount on my phone!

The girls are filling in nicely! The bellies are geting so big. No bags yet but they have 89 days to go to reach 340. Sugar the first time went to 348. The foal was malpositioned so that might of been why the longer pregnancy. The other mare is a maiden so who knows really!

I just noticed you used 340 days for your due dates. Someone did extensive research on minis (I think it was Stars Miniatures) and found that the average gestation was closer to 320 days, so that is what we use. It looks like your mares were actually bred BEFORE our mares and your due dates are later because I used 320 days and you used 340 days. Of course we all know that the mares don't care what the "due date" is, they will foal when they want! It still looks like we will be watching at the same time anyway.

With Sugar going until day 348 last year I calculated her due date to 340 days. I put Cheerio to the same for easy of records as they both were bred on the same day!

Well even know Sugar is only at day 270 we have udder development. ;(

It's not a lot but it's starting a little too early for my liking.

Well last foaling she went to 348 days. I like to error on the side of caution. After last year when I had 2 miscarriages from fescue toxicosis. That's why I didn't plan on having any foals this year. I'm just a little freaked out in case there is any issues. Sugar is my main driving mini.

With the way Sugar's udder is developing I am thinking that maybe she is bred a month early. No one is owning up to letting them out at the same time but she is progressing quickly.

Because of the crazy schedule that I have right now, I'm only getting to have hands on a couple times a week. The rest of the time hubby is taking care of the group.With only have that amount of access, you really notice the changes.

Latest posts

Back