Happy 4th... And how do you handle Fireworks and Animals???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryann at MiniV

Reaction score
First, wishing everyone a Happy 4th of July!!!

We are very fortunate with living 10 miles away from towns in either direction, so the BIG fireworks displays are a ways a way. Plus, our neighbors are at least a half mile from us in all directions, so if any shoot off fireworks, it's not too big of a deal.......to our HORSES.....Thank heaven.

HOWEVER, our two dogs, HATE the sound of gun shots, or any loud sudden noises, so we put them in the bedroom with our AC running AND a radio! The cats are smart on their own and all just come inside and find their favorite spots to hide.

So, do YOU all have to deal with this day/night/weekend differently for your Four Footed Ones???

One of my horses does not mind fireworks at all. I believe he would like to come and light the fuses (he likes fire also). Midnight was pretty nervous last year. I will put the horses in the small pasture and they will just have to endure. My little dog hated loud noise and was miserable when folks were doing target practice or fireworks. I just put him in the house and he survived. My philosophy is, better a few fireworks than bombs and war. One day out of the year, they'll have to endure. I did ask family not to bring any super loud ones, though.

Happy 4th to you. My horses are fine with fireworks. Our neighbor gets carried away with them.....but we endure. Our 2 dogs are terrified and they do best in our bedroom with the door shut. It seems they feel secure in there, they are scared of guns too and they are hunting bred dogs. Good thing they live in our house.

I live quite a ways from the two closes towns (about 25 miles either direction), but I do have neighbors who do a huge show. They have been kind enough to give me advance notice but unfortunately they sometimes carry the celebration to cover a few days!! My dogs are terrified and want to either go in a crate or be in a bedroom. This year though (so far) they haven't done anything. But I no longer go to Fireworks because I stay home to monitor my gelding welsh cobb. He spooks easily and has taken down electric fencing and let everyone out, including the neighbors horse! We have had to track them down on state land but have always gotten them back. So I usually stay up most of the night on the 4th to monitor them. I don't think the neighbor had the funds this year.

Well, 21 year old grandson came and brought loud ones. The little children asked for hearing protection. The light show was great, but I don't think anyone really enjoyed the mega booms. Those should be enjoyed from a grand stand, not in a backyard. I checked on the horses several times. Midnight was nervous but because Dapper Dan was pretty calm, she handled it all right. Ended up taking them out of the pasture and putting them in the corral. They were fine this morning. Glad that is over for another year. And thank goodness it's just fireworks and not real artillery.

So, THIS year was very different for our family. We had the classic BBQ with the daughter and 3 friends. Then, because one of the small towns near us chose to thumb its nose at our FANTASTIC governor <note sarcasm>, we were able to pile into a couple of vehicles, and drive 10 miles east of us. We parked at the top of the bluff, cranked up the radio station that was set to play music in time to the fireworks, and just sat back and watched for a half hour.......

My husband and I came home, let the dogs out of our bedroom. (They didn't hear a thing.) Horses were all fine. The rest of the gang went down to our round pen, dragging a hose, and set off LEGAL personal fireworks. WE went to bed! (Oh, and all of our animals handled that fine too.)

Yesterday, my husband pointed out to me (pouting) that we didn't have our normal "fireworks treats" this year..... <sigh> So now I've got to remember to pick up on my next SHOP, some watermelon, plus the makings for a "red/white/blue strawberry shortcake! LOL.

Yesterday, my husband pointed out to me (pouting) that we didn't have our normal "fireworks treats" this year..... <sigh> So now I've got to remember to pick up on my next SHOP, some watermelon, plus the makings for a "red/white/blue strawberry shortcake! LOL.
[/QUOTE]
We had home made ice cream, watermelon, and the cake with creamy white frosting, blueberries and strawberries in the design of a flag. (My sister made the ice cream and we did NOT tell the guests that she used goat's milk. Everyone thought it was so yummy so we thought we'd better keep that little ingredient to ourselves.)
It's interesting what foods belong to certain holidays and things just don't seem right without them. We tried having a mexican Christmas dinner one year.

Your cake sounds YUMMY, Marsha!

I CHEAT.... and buy a Sara Lee Pound Cake, Whipping Cream, and then slice up strawberries, add the blue berries and add sugar to let the fruit make a syrup....

Willow Flats -- You are so lucky to have a longer growing season! We have to primp, spoil, and PRAY to get cantaloupe and watermelon by the end of summer.

Latest posts

Back