Hanging hay nets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
I don't know if I did it right or wrong bc it did not come with directions. I just hung it in the middle. Not against a wall. They love it! They look like they are playing volley ball! I laughed so hard!

Usually, they recommend that you hang it against a wall or solid surface so that the horse can push against it while eating. Be sure tohang it at a height where they cannot get their hooves/legs caught in it and watch that they do not get hay debris in their eyes. Also make sure that they are hung in a mannor that allows for easy break away in case a horse gets caught in one. I agree it is hilarious watching them play with hay nets/bags. Mine sleep on their hay pillows too.

Care needs to be taken if using haynets. You need to pass the haynet 'string' through whatever you are tying the net to, then pull the net itself right up to the tie 'ring/whatver' before threading the string back through the net either halfway down or at the bottom and pulling on the string to lift the whole net tight up to the safe level for the height of your minis, before tying to the net at that point with a quick release knot. (why is this so difficult to explain!!) Nets need to be fixed high enough for the minis to be able to pull at the hay without getting any hay 'dust/bits' in their eyes, and never low enough for them to get a foot caught up in it. Then you need to also keep an eye on them as haynets obviously 'sink' again - often to a dangerously low level - as the minis eat and empty them.

Okay. I did it wrong. I better take it down until I have a little more time to mess with it. No I put some on the ground. I was just trying it out. They liked playing with it. They had me rolling. Thanks for telling me how to put it up.

As they enjoyed the swinging haynet so much, what about providing them with another toy to play with? I know others on here have many different ideas for play toys to keep their minis amused - post a new thread and ask, I'm sure you will get loads of suggestions.
default_yes.gif

hmmm...

all of these answers sound really complex.

I'm not sure what you are speaking of. I saw some really flimsy hay nets that were made of materials that looked to me like baling twine or flimsy nylon. Quite frankly, I'm too much of a worry-wart to use something like that.

I shopped around and got a Nibble-Net for our girls. I have no affiliation with the woman who makes them, but I've been really pleased with the product. When using, I strung it up high enough so no hooves can get caught---over/around their stall bars and also on the fence. I kind of keep an eye on them when they have it. It does slow their eating down a bit. The first few times, Baby bounced it around so much that our mare freaked out. But overall, it's a nice tough product.

In the stall, it's "up against a wall." ...not too sure why that would be a bad thing?

What I bought looks kinda like a basketball net. It was made of nylon. I probably want use it too much. I was just trying it. I had no idea they would have so much fun with it.

If you're trying to slow down their feeding/consumption, you can hang them from a post. It doesn't have to be against a wall. Believe me, they can get it figured out. Here's a couple pics of my full sized horses eating from theirs that are hung from posts.

I purchased one from TS that is nylon, how do you get the hay in it? It takes me so long to get it in that I gave up.

This will show you how easy it is to fill.

At 1:41 it shows more precisely what I do to fill the net. I prefer to use a muck bucket to open it in to place the hay in. If you are using a half bale or full bale, just start the same way in a muck bucket, then load the rest in there.

Isn't it fun how entertaining these mini creatures of ours are? LOL!

I'm a big fan of the Busy Snacker brand of slow feeders. I hang them in the stalls with double-ended clips that I clip onto heavy duty screw in eye-hooks, installed at a level that they can't poke an eye out with!

Last year I bought a Bale Buddy for use with a round bale during the winter. Whatever slow feeder you can get that you're comfortable using is a great idea.

I will find something . I went to another town for something and saw a feed store with 2 eighteen wheelers full of hay. Alfalfa and Normal Coastal Square bales! I was in my SUV and could only fit two in. I will never get all that hay out of my ride! Those ponies were happy to have normal hay again!

Eventually, most of us horse people give up on having a hay-free vehicle. They sell hay bale bags for transporting bales around, but hay still seems to get everywhere. I absolutely gave up on cleaning the inside of my old suburban. It started with moving hay around in it, then escalated to bringing a pony home from the fair in it to now being a calf-hauler. My hubby thinks its easier that bringing the horse trailer (typical guy) so now the inside of my suv is pretty messy to say the least.20140408_183841.jpg20131009_111115.jpg

Well, I've almost always had a pick-up, so very little hay in in my vehicle; but I do believe I did haul a couple bales of hay in the Blazer I had at one time. My pick-up cab has had a car sick puppy in it, I think I'd rather try to clean up hay.

I tie them on a post as well, but I secure them good. Gelding will bite the net and try to rip it open, so I can't do 'break away' or it will be wasted hay the same moment I put it up. Hanging it totally loose is fine if you need to slow their feeding even more than small hole nets do. Otherwise, attach them to a wall or post so they have some leverage to shove their teeth into the hole to get some hay out.

Often I will just throw a firmly closed hay net on the ground and let the horses toss it about. They will pick delicately at the hay to pull it from the net or pick it up and shake it then eat the hay that falls loose off the ground (not wise to do on sand - I live on clay that packs to a smooth solid surface in the summer) either way they take longer with it than when it is fastened to anything and IMO is more like natural grazing so better for them.

Latest posts

Back