hand puppets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuziB

Reaction score
Help, all you crafters!

Yesterday morning, I got the bright idea of making a couple of hand puppets for my grandchildren's Christmas presents. I specifically wanted to make a horse and a cow, recognizable ones.

I have now spent two frustrating days searching the internet. I HAVE located a horse pattern and ordered it. I hope I won't be disappointed. As far as finding a simple cow pattern, not so easy.

I also thought it would be neat to make a moose and a grizzly bear or a beaver, possibly.

Not only do I live 160 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart, which isn't even in this state (it's in ND), I find there are virtually NO craft magazines to which I can subscribe anymore! This has totally blown my mind.

I used to get a great little magazine entitled Creative Crafts. Apparently, it is now defunct.

So, can any of you handcrafters recommend ANY crafting magazine which carries sewing craft projects and a source for patterns for animal hand puppets?

Occasionally, I see a really neat hand puppet which some child has received as a gift, and I KNOW that SOMEONE makes them! They must be coming out of China, though, for it doesn't seem that there are any American publications showing the way.

SuziB

I understand what you are feeling. It is such a disappointment to have seen just what you want to make and then be delayed by not finding the pattern.

Try Ebay. They have a lot of old craft/sewing patterns and lots of old magazines end up on Ebay...most listings give you pictures of the made items and condition of the pattern.

Hope you find just what you are looking for. If you don't see a puppet face just as you are wanting try looking for a stuffed animal (cow) pattern and using the horse neck with the cow face and altering as needed.

Thank you for your input. I have spent two solid days on the internet, researching this subject. I have learned to my sorrow that there aren't any general craft magazines available out there anymore, either!

My own date from the early 1980s, and all that is published now is specific to one craft or art. What happened to "Creative Crafts", etc. Guess the internet made that type magazine defunct.

What with winter holidays nearing, I'll bet there is a resurgence in seeking after craft ideas. Probably Better Homes & Gardens, Family Circle, Good Housekeeping and the like offer a few crafts in their issues, but oh for a multi-craft magazine! (Want to start one? I'll subscribe!)

SuziB

Aww thats ashame that you can't find any craft specific magazines that you are looking for. Yes I have seen some crafts in magazines such as the ones you mentioned. Now I do know of one that's called Mary Maxim, but it's pretty much a craft supply magazine. Other than that maybe keep searching on the intenet....google different categories, turn it this way and that way. That's how I have found many crafts...using different way to "say" the same thing. I wish I could be of more help!

Hello, again.

Just thought I'd ask. If ANYONE has sewing patterns for hand-puppets that you want to dispose of, please mail them to me. E-mail me for snail-mailing address.

I'm desperate.

Thank you.

SuziB

I am specifically trying to locate a sewing pattern which Butterick once offered. The number is 6374 and was entitled Puppet Show. It has an owl, raccoon, giraffe, and kangaroo shown on the cover.

There is some confusion about the number because Butterick ALSO offered 6374 as a Delineator Victorian doll pattern, but the puppet pattern is what I am trying to locate.

If ANYONE has an old one he/she is willing to sell, please e-mail me.

SuziB

Latest posts

Back