halters???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I have to get my foals ready for when the vet comes. I need to put halters on the foals. I will out thier the entire time but I still want a break away. This way if we are attending another horse and something happens we are hopefully safe. I looked up Aerborn Fieldsafe Headcollar. But they dont have a miniature size. I want more then just the poll part being leather. Any suggestions???

I don't know of where you can currently get ones that aren't the kind with the leather crowns. I have some that have leather fuses, but don't know who carries them now.

In case it could help someone else reading, though, I wanted to say something about the kind with leather crowns. I have seen a lot of them for minis that I do not think would actually break if the mini got caught. Some of the crowns have been as thick as on the breakaways for big horses. It worries me that a mini may not be strong enough to break away if they needed to and think there's the potential for owners to have a false sense of safety when using them.

"My Little Blessing" just bought one--maybe she'll get on and let you know where. I'll let her know you're asking.
default_smile.png

Here I am!

What I ended up doing was buying a biggie foal halter. The tackshop I go to is only in three states, but I'm sure you can find something very similar. There are two sizes, SUckling and Weanling. My little munchkin is 30" with a tiny head, but I ended up having to buy the Weanling. For babies the Suckling one might work, you just might need an extra hole or so. I actually like these halters because the leather is pretty thin and I KNOW the minis can break it. The only gripe I have about the Weanling one is that there is a lot of metal. It's really adjustable, but I don't need that so I'm poking around for another halter now. (Dover Saddlery or Stateline Tack should carry biggie foal halters like I have).

I got my breakaway halter for a mare I had from Ozark. It DOES break if they get caught on something and the leather piece is easily replaced. I think they come in all sizes. The breakaway halter from Ozark is the only one I have found that will actually break when it needs to.

~Jen~

Oddly enough I just looked at their websites and Dover has a foal halter, but it is really awkward. Stateline doesn't even have one. Maybe try a place called SmartPak. They started out as a medications and supplement supplier but have since expanded.

I got my breakaway halter for a mare I had from Ozark. It DOES break if they get caught on something and the leather piece is easily replaced. I think they come in all sizes. The breakaway halter from Ozark is the only one I have found that will actually break when it needs to. ~Jen~
You mean this little lady's halter
default_smile.png
Have I told you lately how much Harvey and I love Ms. Maddie???
default_wub.png

And, I agree. This is the kind I do think will break if it has to
default_yes.gif

Maddie%20062608%20155.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut the extra leather off! I had a horse step on the extra leather under his chin once, not cool. Now I trim the halters down to two holes past the hole I typically put the buckle on. Leaves room for going a little bigger, but also cleans it up. I also have seen a horse get extra leather caught on the hook of a buck, don't quite know how that happened, but the bucket fell away as soon as he pulled back, thank god. I love the nylon halter that Karla sent with Blessing because the straps are just the right length and aren't long enough to require cutting.

I just bought 2 breakaway halters from MiniExpress; they have sizes that fit well (I have a large and an extra large), and have the adjustable chin. They do have the leather crown strap, but it's thin and looks like it would break pretty easily. They sent extra leather straps, too, which was nice. Very reasonably priced, too.

As per my vets advice, if you are ever in a bind, .....

undo the buckle over the pole, take some of the thin cotton twine ( the thin household stuff, it is actually thinner than yarn) place 3 or 4 lengths together, thread them through the buckle and through the adjustment hole for the pole and tie it, works great and will break.

Carolyn

Latest posts

Back