Halters, Harnesses, Show clothes, Oh my!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strangeaddiction

Reaction score
I posted this in the driving section but thought I might get more traffic/opinions here in this section too as it just inst driving related.

This season I plan on showing my OWN mini! I am beginning my search for show "tack". Show harness, show halter for performance and possibly halter classes (he'll never win but in Ptha shows I want to go for all- around awards), cart and clothes! I think most of you have seen Hercules, but I'll attach a picture of him for color reference.

I need some advice on color accents for show harnesses, chrome or brass, some come with a color accent option as well (usually silver, gold, blue, purple, red etc) and the option of Bling or just the colors in the browband and noseband.

Halters- any recommendations on colors, styles, brands for both types.

Carts- I am looking at an old show cart Patty said she may part with, shes been waiting to get it fixed and now Jerald is starting back up that is a possibility. It just needs a new shaft. She said it is a medium color wood shafts?

Clothes- I was thinking of just keeping it simple, black and white? What are your opinions?

I am not typically a flashy person I love a clean look. Any brands, links etc would be appreciated!!!!

Thank you in advance
default_smile.png
Would also love to see you guys and your "show get-up"

I posted this in the driving section but thought I might get more traffic/opinions here in this section too as it just inst driving related.

This season I plan on showing my OWN mini! I am beginning my search for show "tack". Show harness, show halter for performance and possibly halter classes (he'll never win but in Ptha shows I want to go for all- around awards), cart and clothes! I think most of you have seen Hercules, but I'll attach a picture of him for color reference.

I need some advice on color accents for show harnesses, chrome or brass, some come with a color accent option as well (usually silver, gold, blue, purple, red etc) and the option of Bling or just the colors in the browband and noseband.

Halters- any recommendations on colors, styles, brands for both types.

Carts- I am looking at an old show cart Patty said she may part with, shes been waiting to get it fixed and now Jerald is starting back up that is a possibility. It just needs a new shaft. She said it is a medium color wood shafts?

Clothes- I was thinking of just keeping it simple, black and white? What are your opinions?

I am not typically a flashy person I love a clean look. Any brands, links etc would be appreciated!!!!

Thank you in advance
default_smile.png
Would also love to see you guys and your "show get-up"
So you're going to show PtHA? That's awesome. I love it! Is your horse the one in your profile picture? If so, gold really looks good on chestnut pintos. My mare has a show halter (for halter classes) that is plain, but has a gold noseband and it is very pretty on her. I will attach a picture here later when I am on my computer.As for show clothes, it really depends on personal preference, and age category. As a Youth, I like to wear blazers for halter and driving. For showmanship, I wear a blingy showmanship outfit (it's pretty all out, I wear it with my big horse too). English showmanship, I wear a full english outfit (breeches, coat, dickie, boots + hunt cap). Jumping/hunter I haven't decided as I'm just going to start showing it this year, but for a world show I'd wear english gear, and for a local show I'd probably wear something more simple like a blazer or button down. Blazers provide a really clean look.

For performance halters, I have a Star Lake Tack one. I recommend it. I have the rhinestone one, and I use it for western showmanship and in-hand trail. They fit well and Cathy is very nice to work with. I also have a Star Lake Show Harness ( just the regular rolled harness) that's lined in gold. I just got it and really like it, it seems to fit really well and looks very nice on my mare. I haven't driven in it yet.

If you are planning on doing english showmanship, jumping, and hunter in PtHA, you will need a plain leather halter, with no silver. Those are rules for pinto.

For the harness, I really like gold for a chestnut pinto. I don't like the look of colored nosebands (purple, blue etc) and such other than gold or silver. Brass hardware if you are going with gold.

I'm not an expert on carts. I am just getting my first show cart too haha. I am getting it from Superior Sulkies, though, and Mike is very nice to work with.

I like to look through show proofs from shows to get an idea of what to wear. Maybe you can find out if there was a photographer at a recent show wherever you want to show and look through the pictures, to get an idea of what to wear. Here are some pictures of my "get up", lol.

I'm not sure if these are going to show up in the post right, but whatever, worth a try. This is Angel's show halter for halter.

10710924_598002323655561_5855472898353333148_n.jpg

This is my old horse, but an example of one of my in hand trail outfits. I am wearing a Good Ride shirt.

11084113_712330638889395_3514338618386575479_o.jpg

Another pic of my old horse, this is one of my showmanship outfits. This is just by Hobby Horse, which is on the more affordable side.

showmanship.jpg

My showmanship outfit last year.

angel driving.jpg

Blazer for driving. I just had a tank top underneath but I think I am going to wear something nicer this year.

Anyways, that's all. Good luck at the shows!
default_smile.png

Yes this is my little guy Hercules. I have been showing for a long time (big horses and some small lol) but this will be the first year I am showing my OWN mini. So I am excited to be able to pick out what to "dress" him up in. Ususally when showing other peoples horses they give you what they want the horse shown in. So its fun
default_smile.png

Yes this is my little guy Hercules. I have been showing for a long time (big horses and some small lol) but this will be the first year I am showing my OWN mini. So I am excited to be able to pick out what to "dress" him up in. Ususally when showing other peoples horses they give you what they want the horse shown in. So its fun
default_smile.png
Oh, awesome! He is gorgeous!

I like bling but I also like the classic look. What do you think of either of these?

Star Lack Tack Rhinestone Harness

rhine%20bridle%20demon.jpg
rhine%20backsaddle.jpg
rhine%20blinder.jpg
rhinestone%20choices%20with%20letters.jpg

Too blingy??? I wouldn't know which color to get? Black and clear?

This is Star Lakes Rolled Show harness, I would more than likely get gold or silver trim depending on if i go with chrome or brass.

slt319%20bridle.jpg
slt319%20backsaddle.jpg

Ozark Sells a nice plain rolled show harness.

Seems like there aren't many choices online and most people buy at shows. Is this true?

Actually, there are only a few mini tack stores that offer show harness and show carts that will work in the AMHR/AMHA/ASPC show ring. And some of those are both on-line and at the shows (only "major" ones?) while others are only on-line OR at very local shows only. I'm thinking that folks that have shown have already made comments...

When I attended both Nationals (AMHR) and Shetland Pony Congress in 2012 - both Star Lake Tack and Ozark Mtn Mini Tack were in attendance. I only remember Ozark having harness there - I purchased a VERY basic show harness that I could upgrade pieces on later. Not saying that Star Lake didn't have it - just didn't see any at either show.

I can't remember the Shetland Congress in 2013 (didn't attend AMHR Nationals) - I know both were there as I hunted thru both and purchased items from both. But don't remember if there was actual show harness there.

There are now several other places that have mini show harness - one advertised here on LB besides the two above is Mini Express .

Ones not advertising here on LB at this time are Herrons Tack (also at both Shetland Congress & AMHR Nationals - know they had harness parts, not sure if they had a variety of show harness), D & S Lutke, Prime Design Tack and I'm no longer remembering the other ones and can't access all my favorite links in IE right now... You can google them - all have websites... D&S Lutke has both "stock" items and custom items and they do excellent work!

There are other places that do mini "show" harness, but it isn't necessarily the type to use in the AMHR/AMHA/ASPC show classes (Iowa Valley Carriage, Carolina Carriage USA, Camptown Harness, Comfy Fit Harness/Chimicum Tack, Ron's Harness, Smuckers Harness, Zilco Harness, Ideal Harness).

Also don't forget - if you choose brass on your harness, it looks much better to have brass type fittings on your cart (harder to find) and if you later show at other type shows (CDE, ADS etc) that there are regulations about what needs to match. Something to think about there... I'm so much help, huh?
default_whistling.gif

I would LOVE at Lutke show harness but IDK if can afford $1k ++++ right now
default_sad.png
maybe some day. I saw a used one for sale but it has a lot of red accents and I don't really tent to like red with chestnuts/ red horses. If i had a black horse I would have bought it in a second!

Latest posts

Back