Halter?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got my first two minis on April 25. I want to get new halters and lead ropes for them. Do you know of a durable, pretty halter? I was thinking of getting one custom made from this website...

http:// www.uniquelyequine. com/

Thanks,

Tess

P.S. I just wanted to say a really, very, big THANK YOU! If I did not have the help you all gave me I would not have been able to get these two wonderful minis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not get the ones with the "quarter horse hardware" - too heavy and could rub the hair off, especially if you have a thin-skinned horse. Here is an example:

halter1.jpg

See how big, heavy, and clunky the cheek rings are? The other thing I do not like about this is the fact that it has a snap up near the ear to un-do the throat latch. I know of one case where a poorly designed so-called "grooming" halter piece became bent when the horse rolled or got it caught on something, and the metal got hooked in the eye lid.

I much prefer the ones with the light rings-like this:
halter2.jpg
(photo courtesy of Star Lakes Tack)

Hi,

On the website above I was looking at this...

www. uniquelyequine.com/store-products-MINI-OL-HB-Personalized-Mini-Halter-Overlay-Hand-Braided-Lead_38979426.html

Thanks,

Tess

OOOOO - that mini sized custom/name plate, two tone halter (especially in purple/fuchsia) is PRETTY, PRETTY, PRETTY!!!

I have too many nowadays - but I've done that type of thing in the past. It looks like that hardware would work, but I dont' know for sure - your minis are much smaller than the ones I've had in the past/currently have. I spent many years purchasing newborn foal to weanling horse halters to fit our mini sized shetlands. Our first foal actually wore a lama halter - I didn't end up ordering a mini sized halter from the only mini store I had a catalog from for years. Actually, I still don't order the mini foal halters as they don't seem to fit ours very well.

The biggest problem I've had with halters these days is that not too many companies seem to use stainless steel anymore. So that hardware rusts - and sometimes very quickly. In our humidity - that's not fun. So I've gone the route of no hardware, tie halters instead for everyday stuff. Some companies do some pretty fancy things with those types now, too. I'll have to search for those links that do the fancy ones - I don't have them on my laptop... But for the nameplates - that link you have may be the best.

Here's a tiny one on one of our foals in 2012 (it's not a fancy one) -

12mar30cla338.jpg
12mar30cla336.jpg

To be honest I would not pay that kind of money for a nylon halter of any sort. If that's what you want then that is certainly your choice. I tend to agree with Jean about those cheek rings--they tend to weight down a mini head especially with a thick nylon halter like that one. They will rub if the halter is left on, but I hope you are not leaving halters on all the time?

I much prefer the lightweight nylon halters. They are pretty and bright when new, and they come cheap so replacing them Isn't painful At all. For lead ropes I much prefer soft cotton--I would not spend a dime for the one pictured. Just not my thing. Again, it is whatever a person likes.

Hi,

Personally, I do not like rope halters. The custom halter and lead rope is the same weight, material, and hardware as the old ones that came with my minis. The only reason that I want to get new ones is because the old ones are very old, dirty, and fraying a little. Now, I know I just said that the custom ones are the same as the old ones but the "old ones" are about 7 years old. I believe that the custom ones will hold up as long or longer than the original.

Thanks,

Tess

P.S. Please read the topic I made on The Back Porch. After you read please post your comments.

My problem with that halter is the adjustable chin strap. I hate those on nylon halters. They always interfere with the lead rope clip. But it sure is pretty and playful!

I suggest you measure your horse from poll to nose and make sure any mini halter you are considering will fit. There is a huge size difference in miniature halters. Use a soft dressmakers tape to measure. I keep one in my barn, as I'm always needing to measure for something!

You can have someone who does monograming make your horse's name on nylon that you can attach to a nice nylon halter.

Ozark makes a nice leather halter. It does have an adjustable chin but it is well designed and does not interfere with the lead clip.

We all have, or have had, a ton of tack in our barns! By trial and error we find what works best. Welcome to the beginning of your tack adventure!

Oof those are pricey! I've paid less for show halters!

I keep a 'home halter' that's frayed and sun bleached and nasty because that's how they end up eventually.

Then they each have an 'in public halter' for when they're at a show but not in the ring, clinics, etc. just a cheap but crisp fresh one. I color code too - my filly is electric blue, stud is hot pink. Everything and anything!

For turnout I like the cheapest thinnest leather one I can find. Got a $10 one at an expo a few years ago. Looks worn but has held up well. I think it just looks classy too - even the moldiest grossest leather halter will clean up alright.

Hi,

On the website above I was looking at this...

www. uniquelyequine.com/store-products-MINI-OL-HB-Personalized-Mini-Halter-Overlay-Hand-Braided-Lead_38979426.html

Thanks,

Tess
Personally, I would never buy this halter. It has heavier hardware and it has a "grooming" snap near the eye. Both are big No-No's in my book.

For me, I don't like nylon halters at all. They rub and if you must turn a horse out in it, it will not break in an emergency. Rope halters are for in hand training only IMO. I only use good quality leather halters and keep them conditioned so they last a long time and look good. I think they are much safer.

I guess I am one that is anti-nylon, I am a rope halter fan and of course I never leave rope halters on unattended, as you shouldn't with any halter but rope halters for sure.

If you want to go nylon I think that's pretty pricey even with a lead rope. Showtime Tack sells nylon halters and you can get them monogramed for $26. There are of course a whole lot of cheaper halters out there. For sure I would avoid the ones that have the throatlatch snap, hate those.

I must say I do not get the attraction of rope halters. Many years ago they were common place and I hated them. I was so happy to ditch the last one and never use them again. I hated them then and I hate them now. I have never had a nylon halter rub but then I do not turn out in halters.

I prefer the heavy nylon quarter horse types with the side snaps and adjustable nosebands but I never ever leave them on the horses so they never have them on much longer than 15 minutes to an hour tops and are never unsupervised when wearing halters. The adjustability helps fit more horses.

I did just get two new halters with the buckle on the nose, funky looking but great for harnessing as you can just unbuckle the nose and the halter drops off, and easy to put back on before removing the bridle.

For me, unless I'm in a show ring, halters are simply a tool. They don't need to be pretty. They just need to fit well for the horse I need to put it on. My horse rarely have any halter on....if they're not being actively worked it (i.e., grooming, training, etc.) they wear nothing.

I have both nylon and rope halters. I also have leather ones that are the same style as my show halters (like the ones used in halter and showmanship classes). I use those for training when I working on those things I'd use in a showring as it replicates a similar feel without having to drag out the expensive halters I use at the shows.

Save your money for the things that will come now or later....because they are horses...something always comes up
default_smile.png

Maggie has a odd shaped head, so I had a simple custom leather halter made for her, from Robinson's harness shop.... oh... goodness.. has to be 15 years ago...
Is a nice every day halter, has held up very well, no rust at all. Rarely clean it... hasn't really needed it.

MaggiegoingforWalk29Jan14.jpg

Hi,

From what everyone has said I think you all like leather halters. If you know of an online seller of leather halters please post it.

Thanks,

Tess

P.S. Shari, your Maggie is very pretty.

Hi,

What about the Leather and Nylon Halter from minitack.com? Or the Premium Leather Halter?

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/MHL744

I have one of those for my pony filly. It works for turnout. She is one of 'those.' lol

The one I have for my stud that fits him the best of any halter is actually a perry's leather weanling horse halter. Got it at a local tack shop on clearance. Also have a no name one for him as well i got at an expo.

Thank you Tess.

Robinson's harness shop will make you any thing you want. Just tell them what you are looking for, size... and they will get it made up for you.
Their website is pretty simple, is best you email or call.

http://robinsonharnesss.com/

Back