Halter rubs eye

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurarfl

Reaction score
Boy do I feel like a dum dum posting this question....Why does my mini's halter slide up to his eye on the leading side? We are working on leading and giving to pressure. He drags along at times and the halter rubs his eye. It also happens when I'm holding him for the farrier. He's about 30" and is wearing a standard nylon halter in the generic mini size. I can't tell what part is too loose or if it is my pulling that is the problem. I sure would appreciate any suggestions. I feel this is one piece of tack and one activity that differs between saddle horse size and the little guys.

Laura

No question is silly if you really care about the answer ! Could you post a picture of your mini wearing his halter so we could get a idea of the adjustment ? It sounds like it might not quite fit him right or it might just be how much you're pulling.

I would guess too big. But agree, a picture will definitely help give an idea. I like having a halter for my girl that adjusts around the nose as well as the poll, but I like a snug halter... seems to keep things in place, that's just my preference.

And certainly not a dumb questions, we don't know what we don't know!

I bet (but I could be wrong) the noseband might be too loose, letting the cheek peices have too much play. Just went through this with one of my minis who has a long but narrow head. He needed a large halter to accommodate the length, but an adjustable noseband to accommodate his "dainty snout".

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess too big. But agree, a picture will definitely help give an idea. I like having a halter for my girl that adjusts around the nose as well as the poll, but I like a snug halter... seems to keep things in place, that's just my preference.

And certainly not a dumb questions, we don't know what we don't know!
I always say "you don't know what you don't know" too KLJcowgirl !
default_yes.gif

I have a lagger. I carry a dressage whip with me on walks and give him a tap on the behind when he lags. Standing for the farrier: have you tried standing farther away from the horse and giving ripple "nibbles" on the lead to get him to pay attention? I saw John Lyons do this once and tried it on my lagger. The farther away, the more effective the "nibbles" are. Try practicing it without the farrier first!

There is so much about the pressure/release technique I wish I had known when I got my first miniature 15 years ago.

Definitely need a halter that fits better, as halters do this when they fit too loosely.

I just ordered my first rope halter. I sent the measurements of my horse, the lagger, and am hoping it fits him correctly. I've never used one before, but believe I have enough training experience now to use one properly.

I think you would do much better with a halter that fits better. This one looks long in the cheeks, and the nose band looks to be hanging down--all of which tells me it does not fit well.

What height is your horse? My minis are all between 33 and 38" and most of them wear a Mini XL halter -- I can measure one later when i go out and you can compare to yours. My mini halter have come from Mike's tack shack and cost about $8.

Do teach your horse to walk up with you properly--use a stock whip to tap him up rather than just dragging him along as you describe--but even when he leads properly a well fitted halter will work much better for him.

I agree with Minimor. I might add that lots of mini halters are cheap, I like mine to have good hardware and have a couple places to adjust the straps , noseband and poll at least. As far as teaching them to stay up with you while leading them, as some have said, you can use a crop. I like to mostly work on them giving to pressure on the lead and for them to pay attention to my body language. Partly because I don't like having to have a crop/whip out with me all the time. Be sure to release the pressure once they do what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL everyone has different likes and dislikes. I loathe the adjustable chinstraps on halters and i wont have a throatlatch snap. If one halter doesn't fit I buy a different size. I buy the cheap halters because I do not like the heavy hardware and adjustable chins on the Hamilton halters--though I do have a few Hamiltons for 2 of my bigger ponies and for winter use on my biggest Minis who get larger heads when they have full winter coat.
default_smile.png

My guy is 30" and the noseband does drop down. It is a Weaver halter. I'll have to get some measurements and try another. Thanks for all your tips on leading.

Minimor has a very good point. I think some horses don't do as well in the heavier halters, you have to work with what your horse tells you. My particular horses need the the adjustment of the noseband ,while some horses don't so much I think. For a smaller mini , like yours, I could definitely see not wanting the halter too bulky or heavy. I also forgot to mention , sometimes I buy the suckling size, full size horse suckling that is.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back