Halter is rubbing her nose....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilSapphire

Reaction score
Sapphire has a grazing muzzle (please no flames) that she wears 4 hrs a day....2 hrs in the morning...2 hrs in the evening....anyway it is beginning to pull down on the nose band of her halter causing it to rub her nose alittle....is there anyway that I can put padding on the halter like halters that already have it?? I can't find any halters with the padding already on that is in her size. Thanks
smile.gif

Jessica

I take coco's halter off at night and rub baby oil on his noise and in the path of the halter. It also helps to massage the area a little. Mine had the same problem but now its fine.

Im sure they have a mini halter like that on the internet somewhere. Probaly have to do some looking ...if not prob have to make one. Im not sure how though.

This is just another reason why I will never use muzzles- I am not flaming you, just stating my experience. Basically would you rather have a fat horse or a dead horse?? It is just a matter of time before you find her caught on something (that was not there, as I know you will have checked her grazing area) and dead of a broken neck, as I did.
no.gif

Thanks LoveCoco...I may have to try that
yes.gif

Rabbitsfizz- She is supervised when she has her muzzle on...I would not leave it on when someone is not there to keep an eye on her. And its not b.c she is fat that she has a muzzle although she has been keeping her at a good weight its b.c she mildly foundered and this was discussed with my vet. I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience with the muzzle though.

I am pretty sure State Line tack sells pads for halters they may be a bit big though, but I guess you could make adjustments (cutting,adding velco, etc)

err, I know these are abit expsensive, but they give you the idea
yes.gif

CLICK HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if they make them for miniatures but you can get a set of big horse halter "fuzzies" and cut it in half to fit your mini halter. We use them whenever we haul to keep the halters from rubbing bare spots on a horses poll, cheekbones and nose.

I will try to find a photo to post.

wooltable%20halterfuzy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Quarter Horse who was sensitive to the nose band on his halter also. I bought some sheepskin padding made specifically for halters at the local Western store. However, even with the padding on the halter would still wear a spot on his nose if he had it on for too long.

Shelley

Back