Halter Class Differences

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniNHF

Reaction score
Okay I have been trying to figure this one out for the last year or so but what is the difference between Model and Regular Halter for AMHA and AMHR and I dont mean in how the horse is presented, i get that. I guess I am asking in what horse would be best suited for that?

This is the way I see it:

Regular halter in both AMHA & AMHR, the horses movement or way of going is judged. In AMHR the horse has to be 'pretty' conformation-wise not judging movement.

I think originally the horse was trotted in to show it was not lame, but became a factor in overall judging.

I think you could show your good moving horse in both classes.

Anyone?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only AMHR has Model class.Many horses are entered in both Model and regular halter class.In Model class horses are not judged on any movement, only standing. In the regular halter classes, horses are divided according to size.In Model class it is an age requirement and they must be at least 2 or 3 or older, not sure which.In Model class you might see a 28 inch horse competing against a 33 inch horse. As I said before many times the same horse will be entered in Model and another halter class.

It is generally the same horses showing in both, though more will go in regular halter than in model. I believe the model class is supposed to be a preview (not really the right word) of what will be pinned in the regular class. That was the idea at one time--not sure if it holds true now. Thing is--with so many "new" horses being shown in regular halter it may very well be that those who won in Model in Model won't get placed in the regular class. In any case, if your questioning whether model is for a stock type horse and regular halter is for Arabian type (or whatever types you have in mind, those are just 2 examples)--that is not the case. The same horse should fit into both classes.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasnt sure if the word "model" meant anything like it does in other breeds. I was thinking of putting my gelding into it when the class is offered.

Latest posts

Back