Hairless Spots on the face

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All - first of many questions. There are small hairless spots on one of my horse's face. We don't see her scratching much and they don't seem to bother her. Is this normal? Flies? Skin issue?

Attachments

• Pumpkin-close-up.jpg
    Pumpkin-close-up.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 10
I would just watch that. It's not something open that needs to be treated and looks like she could have just banged herself. Watch for her rubbing or if they get bigger or she has more anywhere else or if your other one starts getting some.

How old is she? From my experience, it looks to be insect related. If it is only on her face, I would suggest a fly mask that has UV protection. Try to keep her out of the sun during the day; that seems to help. If it is rub damage, there is a reason she is rubbing.
I'm getting a recipe for a spritz made of Skin So Soft and citronella oil that people have found effective. I will pass it on. I keep forgetting to call the vet for it.

Here is the recipe. I know of at least one testimonial as to its effectiveness. I'm planning to get the ingredients together and use it.
1 cup Skin So Soft (Avon)
2 cups white vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 T citronella or eucalyptus oil
Add to spray bottle and shake well, and spritz on.

Thank you @Marsha Cassada and @Taz for your responses. She is 7 years old - we do have fly masks but it has been in the 60's to date and haven't had many flies out yet. But we can definitely put them on her. Our other mare doesn't have these spots so I wonder why it would be on just one. hmmm...... thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try. Thank you both again!

Where do you all get decent fly masks with ears? I got one from star lake but it is built for a horse whose ears stick straight out to the side like a sheep, has no eyes, and maybe a 3 inch horn in the middle of her head.

Where do you all get decent fly masks with ears? I got one from star lake but it is built for a horse whose ears stick straight out to the side like a sheep, has no eyes, and maybe a 3 inch horn in the middle of her head.
We got ours from our local farm Coop - they had a size for ponies that fits great. Not sure the brand, I think I threw away the box. :-( I will see if there is a tag with any info

Reactions: Taz
I have the same fly mask, it's awful. No room at all for the eyes. I can see it doing damage.

The best fly mask on the planet, imo, is this one: Equine Sun Visor - EquiTek
I've had one of mine going on 3 years and the other 2 years. Midnight used to take hers off and stomp it into the dirt. I just rinse it off and it is good as new. She doesn't take it off any more; I think she likes it. Here is Dapper Dan wearing his. The horse in the back has a Crusader.sun visor.jpg

Thank you @Marsha Cassada and @Taz for your responses. She is 7 years old - we do have fly masks but it has been in the 60's to date and haven't had many flies out yet. But we can definitely put them on her. Our other mare doesn't have these spots so I wonder why it would be on just one. hmmm...... thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try. Thank you both again!
I asked her age, as that is about the age some horses begin to have the problem. Did you breed her, or buy her somewhere? If you don't have her parents you won't know if they had the problem, too. I hope I am wrong, and this is just a random thing.

The best fly mask on the planet, imo, is this one: Equine Sun Visor - EquiTek
I've had one of mine going on 3 years and the other 2 years. Midnight used to take hers off and stomp it into the dirt. I just rinse it off and it is good as new. She doesn't take it off any more; I think she likes it. Here is Dapper Dan wearing his. The horse in the back has a Crusader.View attachment 43507
I was following this thread and clicked on the link. Sadly, the company founders are retiring and no longer accepting new orders. A business opportunity for someone, as they are looking to sell their patent.

I need one with ears...I always feel bad for them if I clip them. I did find one from Cashel, hopefully it works a little better.

I asked her age, as that is about the age some horses begin to have the problem. Did you breed her, or buy her somewhere? If you don't have her parents you won't know if they had the problem, too. I hope I am wrong, and this is just a random thing.
We bought her from a mini horse farm not too far from here. I have her papers and know the name of her parents and the owner of the farm. I can probably find out.

I was following this thread and clicked on the link. Sadly, the company founders are retiring and no longer accepting new orders. A business opportunity for someone, as they are looking to sell their patent.
Oh no! I have ordered a new one. They took my payment so hopefully will fill the order. What a loss if this great mask will no longer be made.

We just bought two fly masks for our minis from "Masks for Minis" on Facebook. Only have used them twice now but so far so good!

Latest posts

Back