Had an colt this morning, but we lost him

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah's Little Blessings

Reaction score
Hello all,just thought I'd post on here, my mare Dixie finnally foaled, after all the signs for about a week, and watching her a month. The most beautiful champagne pinto colt I have ever seen. "CC" .
default_no.gif
I went out to check Dixie this morning, then returned to lay down to take a nap(after staying up till 5 this morning) Well, within an hour, my mom comes running in the house, WE HAVE A BABY, I was so thrilled, ran out there, and yep we had a baby. He was still wiggling and still partly inside the mom(just the back feet) The sack was still over his head, so I grabbed that and got it off, he was gasping for air, I tried mouth-to-mouth, and even the pick up and swirl, but it was too late. He died before even standing, just minutes after I got to see his pretty blue eyes sparkling, and say hello, it was time to say bye. I know everyone is going to say it happens,ect, but I place the full blame on me, I should have stayed in the barn, and not went to sleep, Dixie did everything a good mom could do, even licked him clean after he was gone.

Goodbye little guy, until we meet again-Sarah

Dixie is lost, but seems to do ok, all the afterbirth is out, and she is on antibiotics, and will get a tetnus booster within a couple hours. Just keep her in your thoughts so she can get through this. Poor thing, I deserve to be hated by her the rest of her life.

Sarah, I am so sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you.

I am so sorry.

I know how you feel. Just seems like you wait for so long for them to foal and think so many times it is going to happen and it doesn't. Please don't be so hard on yourself.

default_no.gif

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry for your loss!! I know losing a baby can be very tough, but you must not place that heavy burden of blame on your self...Everyone knows that you did everything possible to bring that baby boy in to the world including the mare. It will take both of you time to get over the loss, but in time this will happen. My prayers and thoughts are with you both!!

Unfortunately, I know just how you feel. It is so disappointing to wait for months, and watch them, and watch them only to turn your back on them for a short time and....

Here's a HUG.

Oh Sarah, I am so very very sorry.

You must not blame yourself. Been there, done that with the blame game. It doesn't fix anything, just makes you sick. This is a very hard thing to do, foaling out mares.When its good its great and when its bad, its horrible.

Hugs your mare lots, she doesn't blame you, don't blame yourself. Bad things happen, its not fair and it stinks. I am sorry.

Robin

Sarah's Little Blessings said:
Poor thing, I deserve to be hated by her the rest of her life.
Forgive me, but..."Bull."
default_nono.gif
You deserve to be hated for what?! You got there while the baby was still alive and just out of Mom, you got the sack off, you even gave him mouth-to-mouth. You did your best and it wasn't enough...that's not an unforgivable act.

I share your sorrow at this event and know it's impossible not to feel guilty when something like this happens and you're asking yourself "What did I do wrong?" but please try not to. Dixie certainly won't! All she wants right now is for you to stay with her and comfort her as she grieves. Horses know that life isn't easy and seem to deal better with things like this than we do. Maybe it's because they can't wonder "What if?"

Hugs and comfort to you on the loss of a beautiful and beloved little foal. Hang in there.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I know just how you feel. It is so disappointing to wait for months, and watch them, and watch them only to turn your back on them for a short time and....

Here's a HUG.
Ditto

I am really sorry for your loss .
default_sad.png

Sorry for your loss it's pretty hard to wait for them then loose them that close but sometimes there's nothing you could have done to save them no matter how much you beat yourself up...

l have noticed a few posts that state they do mouth to mouth on foals to get them to start breathing l just hope people are meaning they did mouth to nostral..

Your little mare doesn't hate you.........She knows you did everything you could and share in her grief.

Sarah,

I just got on to the computer. I'm so sorry. You've watched and waited and prayed for this baby for months. I'm so sorry this happened. Blaming yourself will not bring him back and will only make you more miserable than you already are. I'm sure he was beautiful.
default_bye-sad.gif

Breeding animals has some of the highest highs, and the lowest lows. When things go right, you're walking on air, when they don't, you're like "WHY do I do this!?" I don't care what species, dead babies are the pits! You can't be everywhere, all the time, and you don't know that he would have survived had you been there. There's nothing to be gained by beating yourself up over this. Do the best you can, and forgive yourself when your best doesn't get the result you hoped for. I'm really sorry you lost this little guy, hope your mare recovers quickly.

((HUGS))

My deepest and most heartfelt sympathies.

I feel for your loss.

Hugs,

Becky

(You have a PM)

I am so very sorry for your sad loss. I know I would feel like you do but sometimes you have to step back and say "well, what if someone else told me this story, would I blame THEM?".

I bet you wouldn't.

Hugs to you
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back