Had a weird situation yesterday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
We had a weird situation happen to us yesterday.

We are selling one of our mares. I have her posted on equine.com and etc, but I decided I should also put her in our local paper. We are a pretty big horses/livestock area so it is a good place to advertise.

So yesterday when I was at school I got a phone call from my mom at home saying that some people called about Annie and where driving through our area back from a trip and wanted to stop by. My mom doesn’t know a whole lot about the horses so she asked if they could wait until I got home, but they lived 3 hours away from us and were going to be driving by our area. I just told my mom that yes they can come out and see our mare, but NO MATTER WHAT they could not take her and that they could have to come back and get her. That way I can met with them and talk to them about what kind of a home she was going to. My mom was fine with that.

So later on in the day at lunch I checked my messages on my cell and I had one from home. It was my mom again and she told me that there was no way we were selling to these people. I wanted to know what had happened so I called her back.

My mom said that there were 2 men who came out and were looking at her. They asked if she would lead well so my mom took her out and walked her around. They talked to my mom and looked at her for about 20 minutes and then asked if they could take her to the truck to see if the one mans wife liked her. My mom was kind of shocked because why was this woman in the back of the truck all this time? She thought that maybe she had health problems or was maybe handicapped so that she why she couldn’t come out.

They took her out front opened that back door of the truck and sure enough there was this woman. She got out and they asked her if she liked our mare and what not. My mom said the women look angry. She didn’t smile and barley said about 5 words.

They took Annie back to the field and the 2 men started to whisper to each other back and forth and were acting strange.

That is when my mom started to feel uncomfortable and told them that she heard the phone ringing and she would be right back. She went in the house and called our neighbor and asked her to send her husband down because she was just getting a funny feeling about the whole situation. We live out in the country so it was a smart call my by mom if you ask me.

When she got back outside the 2 men and lady were checking out our other horses. My mom kept telling them, “Those horses aren’t for sale.†Still they were just asking what horses were registered and not. By this time my mom was getting worried and rather *#@$^% off. That is when our neighbor pulled up in the driveway and pretended to be “Just Dropping By To Say Hello†(Thank goodness for great neighbors). As soon as Ray (neighbor) got there they pretty much shut up and took off without saying much.

As soon as my mom told me the story the first thing that came to my head was “Were these people checking out our place?†I don’t want to sound rude, but should I worry? It just sounds weird to me. I have a lock on the gate and we have been leaving the overheard light on all night. It would be hard for them to cut and of the page wire because it is so heavily treed around our horses field. We also have a VERY LOUD goat that craved human attention! The minute he sees people he just starts yelling out until he get attention (Sunday yard work is very noisy around here). So he is are alarm. I slept with my window open last night because it backs on to the horses. I also checked up on them throughout the night.

OK am I being a worry wart????

No- I think you have a right to be worried. The way those people acted is pretty suspious! I would be doing just what you are doing. And hopefully, those people won't come back! Did your mom by any chance get their license plate number? I would keep a close eye on everyone and everything for a while!

You are right to worry!!!! Keep a good watch on them for a good while u just never know.

No we don't have a license plate or phone numer. That was one of the first things I asked my mom.

They got out of there so quick when the neighbor showed up that she didn't even think about it.

I would also alert the local authorities! You just never know. That was great thinking on your Mom's part!!!

Viki

That's just spooky. I don't think you're being paranoid at all--I'd be thinking exactly the same way as you!

Honestly, these days you just acn't be too careful. Several nights ago a couple at St. Claude MB had 1200 sheep stolen while they slept in the house. They figure there were 2 semis and several people...it would have taken some time to load 1200 sheep, but the owners didn't hear anything. They haven't been sleeping too well since then--the lady said any little noise & they are up & checking. After all, they have a few sheep left...I'm astonished at the nerve of these thieves!!

You are not being a worrier, that was a very strange visit.

I think it is very dangerous for a woman who lives alone to have strangers out to visit animals they have for sale.

I had pups for sale and I thought nothing of people coming by to look st the pups.

But one day home with two little kids a man came to visit and after he left I felt kind of weird that I had let a stranger in to my house, you just never know!!

Always good to let a neighbour know in advance or have a friend visit while they are there!

Your Momma was smart!!!!!!!!

Let the local police know, better safe than sorry!

Och.... you are not being a worry wart at all!

In the past I have had people do what happen to your mom, to me.

Got to be to the point at the old Farm, people could only come by if my Husband was home.

Would make sure that both of you are home to show the animals or wait until your neighbor can be around just to make sure. Safety in numbers is best.

Like was said before, I would let the Sheriff know. Even if you only file a report, they will know there has been a problem. Could help you in the future.

Most of the time we just had nice folks,, but I would say 1 out of 10 people were seeing if they could steal, or do something not nice.

Would even have people coming back to steal my miniature lambs, or what ever else they could catch.

Just don't understand people now a days. Sigh ~ ~

I agree with all of the above. Keep your gates locked and your goat on standby!

And letting your local authorities know of what happened isn't a bad idea either.

Be safe!

MA

I must say you have every right to be worried... And your mother did a VERY smart thing.

Now I am going to tell a story that happened here in Kansas. This is why is is SO VERY IMPORTANT TO BE CAREFUL ON THE INTERNET!!!!!

Nobody comes to my place with out my husband here, and mace handy if I need it!!!!

This is very sad. Please be forewarned before you read:

A lady here in KS had advertised some puppies for sale, a lady emailed her about them, had her email pics of the puppies.

The woman who emailed the pics of her puppies was around 8-9 months pregnant and holding the puppies in the pics, so you could tell she was pregnant.

The woman that came to see the "puppies" attacked her, murdered, her, and literally cut out her unborn baby, which AMAZINGLY survived, she then tried to pass the baby off as her own.

NOW IF THIS IS NOT A WAKE-UP CALL then I don't know what is. She was never after a "puppy" But preyed on this poor woman for her unborn baby.

There are some weird and CRAZY people out there, so if you ever deal with people, especially on the internet, always have someone there, or if something is weird about them, DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME.......

I'm sorry I had to tell about this, But it sure gave me a wakup call, I used to show my horses, dogs, etc. to anyone who called or came by, by myself, but not anymore. I live in the country, so there are no close neighbors, so I keep either my husband or some other means of protection VERY handy.

I know it is very rare for something like this to happen, but you just need to be prepared.

Wow, your mom was great! What good thinking on her part. The story about the pregnant lady selling puppies was a shocker but makes you realize what crazy times we live in. We all have a sixth sense about these things(I call it my guardian angel), we just have to learn to listen to it as obviously your mom did. Please be careful and give your neighbors a description of the truck in case it comes back! I'm lucky I live in a "watchful" neighborhood!

Yup I would say that is a wake up call.

After my Mom told my Dad about the whole thing he has decided that it really is not a good idea to have anyone come by with only us girls home. If fact he was a bit mad that my mom would let them come by on such short notice and under those strange circumstances. Yes he was pretty upset with my mom, but only because he cared about her.

The lock is on the gate and I told Ferd to be on stand-by (LOL yes I'm strange I told my goat to watch out for the horses).

I have my alarm clock set throughout the night.

In all honesty I was hoping everyone would say "Oh don't worry about it. Everything will be fine!" and make me stop thinking about it non-stop and get some sleep. HA! We will just though that out the window LOL.

Oh well I would rather be safe then sorry because I just don't know what I would do if anything did (knock on wood) happen to my babies.

Thanks for all the help.

Dee

I don't blame you! It really does sound like they were "casing the place". IF that is what they were doing, they might not try anything for a month (to let your guard slip)

I've been paranoid since I was told that someone stole 3-4 minis a few towns away from us! Lady had minis in the paper...BAM...someone pulled in and stole them while she was at work!

cold.gif
cold.gif
cold.gif

Take a picture of the licence plate of every car that comes, with or without prior notice- although I would not allow people to "drop in" like that, personally, I would rather lose a sale. You need to have a sign up saying that due to the number of strange goings on in the neighbourhood you are recording all license plates. An acquaintance of mine who does this has said she was more alarmed by the number of people who have pulled in,seen the sign and pulled out again sharpish, than by anything else!!

When she got back outside the 2 men and lady were checking out our other horses. My mom kept telling them, “Those horses aren’t for sale.†Still they were just asking what horses were registered and not. By this time my mom was getting worried and rather *#@$^% off. That is when our neighbor pulled up in the driveway and pretended to be “Just Dropping By To Say Hello†(Thank goodness for great neighbors). As soon as Ray (neighbor) got there they pretty much shut up and took off without saying much.

Oh how scary! I hope you, your family and your horses stay safe. Thank goodness your mom was smart and coolheaded in such a scary situation.

We had someone in the area lose nine minis when some guys came and took them by cutting fences- never heard if they were recovered but there had been a Peterbilt truck with a big rig in the area.

I am lucky my farm is on a hill with narrow access to the place and two big barking dogs that would attack (Bridget was "ready" to go for a hunter near our property last season), watchful neighbors but it still scares me, too.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Oh My Gosh! I have to tell you this is my worst fear! Tell your mom Bravo for listening to that little voice that told her "this is not right". I really try to give the benifate of the doubt so I understand why she let these people come. But I'd be willing to bet she won't do it again! Someone else said somthing about them waiting awhile IF they try somthing, I agree!! Just don't let your guard down even if it's 3 or 4 months or 3 or 4 years down the road keep this in the back of your mind. Nothing may come of it you never know. They just may have been wierd people. There are plenty of them out there!
new_shocked.gif
But you have to remember , better safe then sorry. And if that means to take those extra steps "just in case" do it!

I wish you the best and I'll keep your family and farm in my prayers!
smile.gif

Leya

With horses being stolen and missing nowadays, I think you have every right to be paranoid. If it looks like a dog, and barks like a dog, ........

I would keep a close eye out for the next few days and I hope you have a large dog as a barn buddy...??

Someone in Oklahoma had several minis stolen but with all the publicity regarding the theft, they were returned basically unharmed. There were several suspects, as I understand, and don't know if anyone was charged. The gate was locked and the lock looked undisturbed but the gates looked a little funny as if they had been taken down at the hinges. The owner got the great idea of using a cable lock on the hinge sides of her gates.

There are just too many thieves and dangerous people around for you to be too trusting.

I hope you have a large dog as a barn buddy...??
Yes, we have 2 labs. They are indoor dogs, but can hear a mile away and bark like there is no tomorrow when someone is one the property. Barking is pretty much all they will do, but hey it will be our 2ed alarm next to the goat.

I had a scary moment happen last night. I woke up to hear Ferd (goat) calling out!! I jumped out of bed just as I heard the back door shut. Turns out it was my dad checking up on the horses! LOL
aktion033.gif

I have talked to all my livestock neighbors about it just to warn them.

Thanks

Dee

I dont blame you one bit for being paranoid about this incident, I would be doing the same as you! We do have cameras on 24 hours a day, but even that wouldnt stop the most determined thief! My other security system is my donkeys, they will bray up a storm whenever someone comes into the pasture or is within walking distance of it, and we also have 4 dogs, 2 of which are my barn dogs. One is a white sheperd and even at the tender age of 16 yrs old will bark if someone comes around, and the other is my german shepardXwolf cross who is also 16 yrs old but lets us know when something is not right, in the house we have 2 labs, one is 130#'s and is not friendly to outsiders..so ...........the other is 10 months old and learning from him..... Corinne

Latest posts

Back