Guessing game-- when was she bred?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
Last week I saw Grace in the daylight for the first time in about 3 weeks. I'd been at Nationals and after that had only looked at her in the dark when we led her back to the stall.

Immediately I suspected she was about 8 months pregnant, based on her shape. I felt her all around and felt strongly there was something in there. Had her palpated the next day and yup, there's one in there!
default_laugh.png
Vet thinks January baby.

Poor thing had been on a diet (just a little grain and regular hay) and my daughter thought she had worms.
default_rolleyes.gif
oops

Apparently she bred to my only stallion some time in the winter. My husband is non-horsey and he wouldn't think to mention to me if the stallion got in with the mares in the middle of winter. Usually I write that kind of thing down.

On January 23, 2008 I had her palpated with my other horses. I was hoping for a spring baby. The vet said, "No, she's not bred, but her uterus feels funny, kinda tilted, and you should bring her in once she starts ovulating and we should do an ultrasound."

Never saw her in heat all spring, summer or fall, but the stallion was gone a lot so I figured we just missed them all.

So I was thinking that maybe she was actually bred on January 23 when the vet palpated, but only for a couple of days or a week.

What do you think?

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Better start getting the blankets and heat lights....supposed to be a long/cold winter
default_wacko.png

Could you post a picture? ( or more!)
default_laugh.png

It's been raining here for the past 3 years so this is the first time I've been able to get some pics.

She's 34" and the stallion is 35".

This is her in July. Umm after a diet. Poor thing.

grace_0056sm.jpg

Here she is in her winter coat already.

grace_2680.jpg

grace_2681.jpg

This is the view that told me she was pretty far along.

grace_2683.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back