GSP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
Does anybody have one? Looking for all and any info and experience on them. I am potentially getting a almost, at best guess, 8 year old male.

If you are talking about german shorthaired pointers, I have been around them, but never owned one. I had a barn owner once that bred them. Very sweet and friendly and most were VERY active. They were hunting dogs, and there were times when their noses were all they heard, if you know what I mean.

I have 2 GSPs, one 7.5 year old male and one almost 6 year old female. Anything specific you wanted to know about them?

G

Just anything really. They said he seems to prefer being in the house with his bone more than anything. Wondering how much I can expect to have to excersize him. I have an idea but trying to get a better idea from those who own them. I am also hoping he still has enough playfulness to play with and handle our pup.

Well, at 8 years old he probably still has a lot of energy left in him. Neither of mine have really slowed down but they both definitely have off switches and can just chill out when needed.

None of my dogs are currently getting any kind of structured training or exercise right now. I live on an acre so they spend their time running around on their own, they love to run just to run. I also don't leave them outside alone ever because they will find something to occupy their time LOL. Both of mine are good with my minis (one used to run with them when they started playing because she loves to run so much) and good with my chickens -- my male likes to chase them to disperse them then runs off and my girl just likes to stalk and stare at them. They also love to go hiking, though I don't take my girl as often because when she runs she runs fast and FAR in no time. She comes back as long as she can hear me but she can disappear fast.

At 8 years old he should have enough energy for a puppy..mine LOVE puppies so hopefully yours will too.

Here's some photos of mine hehe

8SQbfFd.jpg

slGyYM4.jpg

GSf19V4.jpg

I love the breed but they are very high energy and are happiest with high energy busy folks that realize that this is a breed that needs to run and give them the chance to do so (safely).

Almost all GSDs I have met are happy and love people and they are beautiful. I worked with a few rescue GSDs and they would run like greyhounds, very fast and in big sweeping circles laughing at their people every time they zoomed by. LOL

His foster said he prefers to lay in the house with a bone rather than being outside. His recall is supposed to be great. I have a small fenced area but more yard he can run in if he doesn't take off. I also have a dog park about 10 mins away and a big open park just down the street.

We have a GSP mix. She sleeps about 18 hours a day. Perfect dog in the sense she lays around,

doesn't bark, easily trained, tolerates everything - except loud noises (she hides).

One of my good clients is a GSP his owner jokes his activity level is pointing while standing on the couch looking thru the window. :)

He sounds awesome. I don't like dog parks and prefer to walk with my dogs to stay bonded and happy.

Sounds like you have thought this over and he is a good match. He will be adopted quickly so don't hesitate if you feel he is right for you. Did he pass the "I love kids" test? If so, sounds like a great choice for you. They are very easy on grooming. Ask if he is good for trimming his nails. Dogs that go ballistic with their feet and nail trims are not always good choices for little kids that might grab feet or step on toes accidently. Thats all I can think of now. Can you post a photo of him?

They are bringing him down on Nov. 2. He is about 5 hours from here. The lady that is fostering him doesn't have little kids but she does have grandkids age 4-14 and he has done fine with them.

He does good with big dogs (lives with 3 others now) but she has to test him on little dogs for sure. The head of the rescue said he was around her poodle mix and fine. The two girls I have are good with others. The older female can be a butt now and again. However, the foster said as soon as the other dog growled at him he back down/walked away. He did growl at one of her dogs when he tried to get on the bed he was on.

Basically from my understanding he was surrendered by his owner when they wanted to move. Prior to that he was banished from the house to a kennel outside and pretty much forgot about him when the fun wore off.

Here is his page... http://www.minnesotagsp.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=6095478

I will ask about the nails. The girls we have, we have one of each. Both tolerate Mya pretty well, and the pug actually is pretty smitten with Mya, doesn't event try to steal her food, just sits and watches patiently for some.

And not that matters but he is a registered boy with what I am told is a pretty good background.

On the growl at the other dog, I mostly only worry if they growl at humans trying to move them from their space. If he is new to that home it is normal for him to still be working out the pack dynamics with the dogs in the foster home.

Take him for a walk outside when you meet him before you take him in your home. don't let your kids mug or rush him but give him plenty of time and space. Tell the kids, new dogs are best left alone at first and let him have space to find his way if you get him. He needs to reach to you.. not the opposite. Some reach right away, some need a few minutes to warm up.

I adopted a dog once and I was showing her to my mom. She was an abuse case. My mother after hearing her story dropped to her knees and hugged the dog around the neck hard. My dog screamed in fear and pulled back hard hitting my mom in the cheek with her head. My mom told everybody my dog "turned on her". I worked and aclimated my dog to being held and restrained and she never bit anybody in her whole life and was a terrific dog. Human fault, dog was blamed. Just be very observant and gentle slow body language. he will tell you if he is supposed to be your dog. You will feel it. Any reservations whatsoever, and you should pass on him given that you have small children in your house. Might be worth taking somebody else with you to see him to see how he is with other folks. best wishes.

They are bring him right to our place. I am not to worried about Mya running up to him. Pretty sure she will be scared as it takes her a bit to get comfortable with big dogs.

great. but when she gets to your home, spend a few minutes outside on a lead before going into the house. Its a doggie brain thing. It helps. I do all my first greets outside and then bring into the house after at least 5-10 in the yard first.

Mya is smart. that is good.

Latest posts

Back