Grullo Stalions ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letsdunit

Reaction score
Hello, I am new at this website.

I live in Holland and see that more and more people are starting to import amha for america. I breed with 3 grullo mares and my dream is to one day buy a grullo amha stallion. But to be honest I dont see examples of nice grullo's.

Can anyone show me a nice grullo stallion ? I am still window shopping, will probably buy in a couple of years but would like to see some examples.

f3060ee5.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
saludando.gif
This is a stallion that we co-own with Erica, here on the forum also, I feel that he is a nice example of a grulla stallion. I think I may have one mare bred to him for next year, hopefully I will get to see what his offspring will look like soon.

No grulla stallions here - I too love the color grulla but just wanted to say welcome to the forum!
yes.gif

I have a grullo stallion. He is not the Arab type but more Quarter horse type. He has a wonderful personality and does produce some nice offspring. He is LWO+ and has sired 4/4 pinto foals so far, 2 grullo pinto colts, 1 red dun overo colt and 1 red dun tovero filly.

These aren't really good photos of him either.

tom04.jpg

Here is a better picture ( to show the grullo coloring ) on Erica's Smoke Rings in the Dark (the stallion minih posted)

He is a Reserve National Champion yearling stallion last year - he is out of two Reserve National Champions and is a grandson of Martins Boozers After Dark, Yellow Diamond Little Feather, and ggrandson of Hemlock Brooks Egyptian King.

ericas_Smoke_Rings_in_the_Dark_1.jpg

And here is a 05 grullo colt (gray gene also) - Erica's Gone and DunIT now owned by Jill. He has the same dam as "Ringo" and his sire is a BTU son. He just went National Top Ten 7th out of a class of 40.

f510cd49.jpg

And I have this mare (dam of the above two) MCC Feathers Silver Streak, bred for a March 06 foal to my Buckskin Buckeroo son with hopes of a grullo FILLY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your answers.

Its nice to see there are some nice grullo's !

I bred a little filly foal this year, she is the old shetland type but managed to get a championship. Next year we expect 1 foal from a grullo mother and an amha bred black pinto father.

This was this years foal, in comparison to your bred foals she is heavy boned.

IMG_0071.JPG

Not a stallion, I'm afraid, this is a mare I bred (see, no need to go all the way to America!!)

Shadowplay Misty for Me- Mouse to her friends!!

mouse2.jpg

Here's another picture of my baby boy from Erica, who as she said, is a 1/2 brother to her and Terri's Ringo. I just fell in love with "DunIT" from the first picture I saw of him. I think Erica agreed to let me buy him when he was just a couple weeks old. I was asking her PLEASE let me buy him right from the start! I'm so proud that he is National Top Ten and the Nationals were his first ever show
kiss.gif

Erica's Gone and DunIT / "DunIT"
DunIT--2005Nationals--1.jpg

Welcome! I too love grullo/grulla's. I am waiting to see what Erica's mare has next year, but I hope it's a colt.
smile.gif

Here is one of my best mare's Grullo colt that was born this year and the second time this color has come out of this mating. He is a Rowdy Grand son and he is for sale.

http://kennethparker_2.tripod.com/2005foals/tuffyweb.jpg

equestrian said:
Here is one of my best mare's Grullo colt that was born this year and the second time this color has come out of this mating. He is a Rowdy Grand son and he is for sale.

http://kennethparker_2.tripod.com/2005foals/tuffyweb.jpg

468782[/snapback]

I know he is for sale I have been looking at him a couple of times
yes.gif

For most Dutch people its still the shipping costs that keep us from buying.

I have two gorgeous grullo mares here, a fourteen year old one and her 2005 weanling daughter.

Both have the distinct dorsal, the stripe through the mane/tail, and leg barring, and darker face mask. I saw a stallion at our State Fair this year that looked very much like these two, but I doubt he is for sale.

Often I see grullos that are merely smokey black in appearance, but I'm seeing more and more that have the true markings, etc.

Here is the mare:

2bit81005a.jpg

Here is the filly:

roguetrot705a.jpg

(doesn't show her color very well).

Here is a better pic of the stripes on her legs:

roguesstripes.jpg

The sire of this filly is a buckskin son of Little Kings White Russian. The mare above is bred for a 2006 foal to the same stallion. Might be a colt?!? Either way, this mare is very dominant in the dun coloration, as almost every foal she's ever had has been colored just like her, no matter the stallion. I do like the color!

Both of the above girls are for sale, too.

Happy shopping!

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back