Growth Rate of Horse Tail?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can spray W D40 on a tangle or bur and work it out. Mineral oil is also excellent for removing tangles and burs. I buy an aerosol from SmarkPac that contains mineral oil and a UV protector. It works beautifully for removing tangles and cockleburs. I spritz it on every few days during the summer for the UV protection.

My horses have all been good tail-growers. Even ones I get that have skimpy tails look better after a few months. It must be nutrition. I snip a couple of inches off about once a month.

I try not to brush too much. Discovered Grandpa's Pine Tar shampoo from someone on this forum and absolutely love it. I order it from Lehman's, but it's probably available other places.

I would be hesitant to use WD-40 anywhere on a horse; the information on their MSDS doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling: http://wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd482671453.pdf

I used Head and Shoulders to bathe our horses this past summer. The "classic" type, which contains pyrithione zinc (1%.) It seems to wash out ok in cool water. I have psoriasis, and I figured if my sensitive skin could handle it, perhaps it would be ok on a horse. (...fully realizing that my skin is different than horses.) For the same reason (my experience with psoriasis) I wouldn't use any type of coal tar shampoo. But that's just me.

WD 40 spritzed on a cocklebur in a mane or tail to aid removal is not the same as spraying the product all over the horse every day. If one needs a quick fix I don't see any reason not to use it. Better than cutting off a tail or hacking a mane. AngC, you motivated me to look at the label on the can I keep in the kitchen drawer. It is a brand new can, so it has all the latest disclaimers and warnings on it. The original formula is no longer for sale in California; thank goodness I live in one of the other 49 states where the original formula is still for sale.

The shampoo I mentioned is PINE TAR , not coal tar. Totally different product.

WD 40 spritzed on a cocklebur in a mane or tail to aid removal is not the same as spraying the product all over the horse every day. If one needs a quick fix I don't see any reason not to use it. Better than cutting off a tail or hacking a mane. AngC, you motivated me to look at the label on the can I keep in the kitchen drawer. It is a brand new can, so it has all the latest disclaimers and warnings on it. The original formula is no longer for sale in California; thank goodness I live in one of the other 49 states where the original formula is still for sale. The shampoo I mentioned is PINE TAR , not coal tar. Totally different product.
On principle, I wouldn't be adverse to a little spritz here and there with some petroleum product (but WD40 really smells vey petroleum-y; I have no clue whether that is or is not a problem; my usual approach is that if I'm in doubt... don't do it. So in the future I'll try something else.) But I meant absolutely no criticism of your approach.

Unfortunately the deed is already done; i.e., the whacking off of Nicky's tail. So I'll have to wait and see. To mitigate future incidents, we did a concentrated walk-down on the pasture and removed them all--the plants. I thought we had them all; guess not.

Sorry also... for my misreading of PINE TAR vs COAL TAR. I'm not familiar with PINE TAR. Bathing season is pretty much over in our area, so maybe I'll have a look at that next year.

I gotta' say, though... I'm a little dubious.

Hmmm, how to address some points w/o knocking everyone???

Products (and Us) have changed a lot in the last 20-30 years. Part of the "improvements" are to increase shelf-life of products - which, personally, is worse to me than using a basic petroleum based product. You'd be surprised how much of your everyday life is based around "petroleum products" - to include the plastics you might drink out of everyday...

Pine Tar and Coal Tar have long been used in products meant to be used for skin/hair - and often alleviate itching/flakiness. So does Sulfur. I love some of these products and have sometimes used what's meant for me on our horses and VICE VERSA. I still have equine vets recommend Neutrogena T/Gel (a human shampoo) for horses w/ skin problems and itchiness. W/ this ongoing thread, I decided to look up the contents of that product and it is Coal Tar, not Pine Tar (LOL). And this product still works "wonders" on some horses/people... AND as with many products today - it worked better 20-30 years ago before all the "new scents" and "improved" shelf life ingredients added to it. Don't understand how a product can say "Original formula" and "New Scent" at the same time.

TGel.jpg

Head and Shoulders products make me shudder - they cause more itch for me personally (and dander - G - imagine that) than they stop (BUT that's me). Because I have such a nasty reaction (I will break out in hives from H&D made today - didn't use to though), I can't/won't use it on our ponies simply because I have to come into contact with it when I wash them with it. I RUN from products today that say "No Animal TESTING" on the label. If it wasn't safe for testing on animals, I REFUSE to be a human guinea pig,
default_smile.png
. And often those same products cause severe itching &/or allergic reactions for me (even though I generally don't have allergies...o, yea, but that was more than one messed up test, too, and we gave up on testing me for allergies and instead just treat w/ anti-histamines if necessary, LOL. Cheaper in the long run, too).

Horse products meant to improve hair growth or make hair sleek & shiny will have the opposite affect if used wrong. Products meant to stimulate hair growth may impede or stop growth if the skin is soaked and products meant to make it slick and shiny may cause brittleness and severe breakage if overused or have too much used at one time. Directions and following them can be a wonderful thing and a good product can be a bad one if used in-appropriately.

AngC - I'm truly not trying to pick on you. I understand why you asked the original question. I hope you don't take offense.

You, too, often make me research and look deeper when you've questioned things.

In the end, hair growth is as individual to horses as it is to humans. Since it is a part of the body that is alive and grows, yes, it is best addressed nutritionally. All the topical products in the world aren't going to work fantastically well, if a horse isn't receiving proper nutrition. Since your guys are well taken care of, I would think that that issue is addressed and you just need to explore some of the products mentioned for "hair growth help" or "improvement". Not every product will work for each horse.

You could even try Olive oil or Coconut oil - applied to the skin and worked thru the hair. Both will do wonders for the skin and will make the hair silky and soft HOWEVER both are major dirt attractors if left in. I know of several Arabian breeders/showmen that will use Olive Oil to soak their horses' manes and tails and then wash it out. Kinda like a hot oil treatment for our hair... and a little bit applied to cockle burrs or stickers will make pulling them out easier. Maybe more natural for you than WD40 or any other horse product if you have them on hand.

AngC - I'm truly not trying to pick on you. I understand why you asked the original question. I hope you don't take offense.
Absolutely no offense taken!!! (I suspect I tick off more people here than I mean to.)

To back up... we had cockle burrs in Nicky's tail. That was our fault, we should have removed the offending plants. We've since done that. Then, the husband and I miscommunicated and after arguing about scissors, we cut his tail shorter than I care for. That's a done deed. I realize that some people here believe that you can "make" hair grow. I'm hugely dubious (how would you even measure that?) Perhaps with some kick-butt nutrition, you might eek out a smidge better growth. My original question was meant to solicit opinions regarding average amount of hair growth. Perhaps I was asking a question that can't be answered.

I also realize that petroleum products are everywhere and in everything. But I just can't see spritzing WD-40 on a horse. Perhaps, it works for other people. Perhaps, they can wash them afterwards. In my opinion, it stinks.

One last thought: I've been dinking with psoriasis for more years than I care to count. ...the only thing they don't give to humans is pine tar (I tried to research that a bit and ran out of patience, in conjunction with trying to get the husband's Xbox thingie running.) I've used T-Gel products (squinting at your photo, I'm pretty sure I've used higher concentrations than the over-the-counter T-Gel you pictured) ...also used sulfur products, steroids, etc. Some of these I wouldn't use on a horse, because ...well, I think their skin and my skin is different. But I guess to each their own.

Unless his tail simply doesn't grow at all (& some don't), he should have a long enough tail by next summer that there won't be a problem. If for some reason it isn't and you want it to grow longer, you can braid it up (with a conditioner in the braid) and attach "string" hairs to add length for swatting flies. I've seen that done by folding the braid over, pulling it thru the top of the braid and leaving a loop at the bottom that you attach that string to.

The various products do help to encourage hair growth - mainly because they address true or possible underlying problems in/with the skin. Anytime those are addressed, the hair will grow better/longer/faster. Also, a product that keeps the mane/tail sleek/shiny/slippery both keeps burrs out of the mane/tail and makes it easier to brush them when should you do so - all will help to aid growth by preventing damaged hair and breakage.

I don't know how you can measure actual growth and chart/compare it. But I have felt like I've seen differences. And while tails will grow during the winter, I've felt like I've seen growth slow down - especially in stalled horses w/ limited turnout time/sun exposure - but again, that's my experience.

I have never cut a tail ever. Can't bring myself to it. Just can't. Same with manes lol
Yeah, I love a long mane/tail! Every time I look at Nicky, I feel bad. I don't trim bridle paths either. I'm going to snip Coco's tail, though. It's dragging on the ground (about 3 or 4 inches worth.)

guess I'll find out how fast a tail can grow. When I got to the barn tonight (doing chores a bit early) I found one of my goat kids merrily running around, apparently squeezed through a stock-panel opening. Caught and tied it, then noticed Molly's tail. She was tied in her alternate spot and her tail had been chewed off to the end of the bone and some from the sides also. Why would she stand there and let that happen? I'm sure if she'd kicked the little begger a couple times, it would have quit (and I wouldn't have blamed her a bit). I might as well roach the mane now, so it will at least match the chopped off tail look.

We have always found Cowboy Magic (a slimy, slippery, silicone feeling like product) works wonders to get pixie knots and other tail issues cleaned up. MTG contains sulfur which is why it is good for itchy skin, manes and tails. As to whether it actually stimulates growth I don't know but if they aren't scratching and breaking the hairs off it would sure make it seem like it was stimulating growth. I would not use WD-40 on my horse for manes and tails, it is made as a water displacement product for metals and the like.

guess I'll find out how fast a tail can grow. When I got to the barn tonight (doing chores a bit early) I found one of my goat kids merrily running around, apparently squeezed through a stock-panel opening. Caught and tied it, then noticed Molly's tail. She was tied in her alternate spot and her tail had been chewed off to the end of the bone and some from the sides also. Why would she stand there and let that happen? I'm sure if she'd kicked the little begger a couple times, it would have quit (and I wouldn't have blamed her a bit). I might as well roach the mane now, so it will at least match the chopped off tail look.
I have a friend who has goats and miniature horses. The hroses love to stand by the fence and let the goats chew their forelocks and tails. That nibbling must feel good.

Besides goats, foals can/do develop a "thing" for chewing tails. I had one do that ONCE - I braided up "mom's" tail, put a sock over it and smeared it with the product called "Chew Stop". Thankfully it stopped that baby from chewing tails!!

We then added vit/mineral supplement to both the mares' and the foals' feed. Can't remember what we used, it was in the 70's... The horses, that year, were getting some type of grass hay instead of the Alfalfa we usually had and a simple oat/corn feed mix (know that we got it from a local grain elevator in 100# sacks - don't think it had anything else in it)...

Always Learning - let us know how long/fast your mare's tail grows! And if either you or AngC are willing, it'd be cool to see pics of the growth over the next 6 months.

I haven't done much actual grooming this year. I have tails dragging the ground in every paddock/pasture - never had that before so - first time for everything! I need to take the scissors out with me when I feed tomorrow and remove (I "bob" the tails at fetlock length) 3-6" off of almost all of the ponies. That's just so weird.

I snipped a bit of Sevens tail off this summer and now its dragging on the ground again. Need to do it again as he steps on it when he backs up. Must grown more during the hot summer months.

And if either you or AngC are willing, it'd be cool to see pics of the growth over the next 6 months.
What a good idea! It was way too stormy/soggy today to take my camera out, but I'll measure his tail and take photos; and track/measure until spring.

I'm not sure what that will tell us, but I think it's a good idea.

Don't know that it will tell us anything other than kinda cool - since you were asking about the growth rate of the tail, LOL.
default_smile.png

Our arab mare had her tail braided and in one of the fleece tail bags while out in our pasture. I was told it would be ok and for a while it was - then one day we went out and ... she had NO TAIL... The bag and most of her tail were hanging on the side of the fence where she'd gotten it caught while standing swishing flies. Took several years for her tail bone to "recharge" and regrow her tail... The 2nd pic (w/ Skye - it's braided up and doubled up to hold it, not ripped out yet). Didn't affect her at local OPEN shows when our daughters' were riding her.

8f38.jpg
6aa3.jpg

fa07.jpg
ea01.jpg

It's growing back!! It's braided again. And then it's down past her her hocks again when she is relaxed and standing still ... She also has what's known as a "rye tail" - where she carries it off to the side. This is considered a fault - when it's not due to an injury. I can't remember if we ever had her worked on by a chiro or not. If we did, it didn't fix the "rye tail" - she still carries her tail off to the side to this day! She's 21 this year.

8c14.jpg
cf53.jpg

Well see if this will load w/ 7 pics instead of 6... nope. Gotta go cut a few...

Here is a pic in 05 -

9f95.jpg

& 06

ffa4.jpg

and this past spring. She never has grown a thicker tail since the incident of pulling it off, and don't remember it ever getting all the way to the ground again either. yes, her mane has been roached completely off. It got so tangled last fall (over at Vicki's) that it was removed and allowed to grow back. Took forever!! Don't have a current pic.

15apr6cha0465.jpg

Latest posts

Back