Growing up with out humans.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Ok, you horsey people, I have a question. Here is the deal.

I have a mini mare, she is 9 yrs old. When she was born, she was in a heard of minis that were in the mountians. No human contact till they were rounded up, haltered and sold. Not sure of the details but she was probably 3-4 yrs old when she was finally sold. The person I bought her from, said she was very wild and hardly new anything about halters, ect. He taught her to lead very well, will stand and even trained to drive. She is a very nervous girl, will handle good when finally caught, seems to realize she has to do what is asked (not willing), but goes back to her "wild instincts" after I've worked with her. She is also VERY protective of her foals, will not let you near them or else!

I've had this mare for 3 mos, the person I bought her from says she will always go back to her wild ways no matter what.
ohmy.gif

Will she always be like that, hard to catch, never trusting just beacuse of no/little human contact for her first several years of life?

Can I change this mare, ever?
unsure.gif

Thanks in advance!

I have a feeling that she will improve if you work with her on a one on one basis. But she will never be totally "tame" like a horse who has grown up with humans.

MA

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree she will still have some "wild" in her. My aunt bought a mare from kinda the same situation. She was born out in the field(thousands of acres) and that is where she stayed until she brought her home as a late 2 year old.

She has gotten calmmer and not totally nuts. She is halter broke, and does fine once you catch her. She will come to you in the pasture, only close enough to touch her nose and only if you have food. To catch her you have to corner her in the barn. But once you have her caught she will do anything. She stands for hoof trims, shots and what not with out a problem. She comes in the barn to eat and doesnt freak, but still runs when you try to catch her.

I had a mare like this, I have owned her for 3 years now, and she is finally trusting me and coming around.....It takes alot of time... And if possible to keep her with a really tame mare, then she will learn to come to you and not to be scared.

My mare used to shake all over when I got her, if you would touch her she would just shiver, I felt so bad for her....ALthough the difference with mine is every year she has her foals, her babies have always been so tame and inquisitive, that she follows her foals to me... I know can even catch her in the pasture which I was NEVER able to do.

SO I would just say tons of time & love!!

No, sorry, not true. Once you have won her over she will be just fine. I had three New Forest mares five years ago (God alone knows why!!!) Ranged from 3- 11 years old, lived on the Forest all their lives, wild as hares. Got them separated and in stalls. Youngster took 3 days to come round, older mares took a bit longer- the 11 year old is in the show ring, under saddle, the 8 year old is a kids riding pony. I did not back them myself as my legs and back would not take it, but I haltered and handled. Eight more came up with them but they went over to a field near me. As far as I know they all came round and are trained now.

Oops, sorry it looks as if I'm disagreeing with Ks- I'm disagreeing with the concept that the mare will always be wild!!
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My stallion Val was wild when I got him. He can be puppydog tame if handled frequently but if left alone for a while reverts back a bit. Just this morning we had a go round about putting on a flymask. Needless to say, he got snubbed and his ears and face rubbed all over until he submitted. Deal with it, get over it. He knows better and comes around quikly when reminded.

Latest posts

Back