Growing my own hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishful

Reaction score
I am so tired of paying fourteen bucks for one bale of hay and have decided to plant my own this year.

I did a little research and would like to plant the alfalfa/timothy variety but have concerns about the blister beetle I have heard about, what is it? How do I keep it out of the crop? where do I have hay tested?

I live in Central Alabama and would like as many inputs as I can get.

Is their any kind of hay/grass that is not so great for my horses and what would be the best kind?

You should probably check with your local Cooperative Extension Service/County Agent. They can tell you what will grow best in your area and most likely answer some of you other concerns.

I live in southern Louisiana and have planted Bahia because of it's drought resistance and it stands up to a lot of abuse. One day I plan to have several 1-2 acre pastures ( for rotation) and plant them with jiggs bermuda.

I'm not firmilliar (sp) with what will grow in your area , just wanted to warn you not to plant any type of fescue

if you are planning to breed any of your horses now or in the future, it causes many problems with pregnant mares.

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back