Growing a mane and tail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
I know that genetics is way more than half the battle. However, we recently acquired a POA with little mane and tail and I am guessing that with a little help we would get a bit of a tail at least. What is your favorite product with biotin in it? What is the best "bang for your buck"? Would MTG help if it is a genetic issue? Any other suggestions. I know she will never have long flowing locks, I couldn't care less. You can't ride a tail, however, I would like a bit of a tail instead of just a few wispy hairs on the dock. Maybe a little something???

Plait the tail and put it in a tail bag whenever you're not showing. Helps thicken, lengthen and stop any other horses eating it. Personal favourite is kelp freechoice - put out in paddocks so they can help them selves. The keratin in it will help with mane and tail growth. Also will stop horses eating each others manes and tails

There isn't anything to plait. he he It really is just a few hairs over the dock. That is why I would like to grow just a little something so that maybe there is at least enough to attach a fake tail too. Where do you ge the kelp freechoice?

Dont braid it or bag it just yep. Put M-T-G on it every few days and try not to brush it. If theres any snarels use your fingers. Since shes appy bred, dont expect it to drag on the ground, but it should grow a bit more.
default_smile.png

I hate to be a downer but I would be willing to bet the farm that what you see is what you get and nothing is going to grow your pony any more hair then it's got. It's an appy thing, which I'm sure you know.

Yeah, I kind of figured that, but we got another POA last September and I put her on Hoof Growers something or another and as an added bonus she grew a thicker and better tail. I was kind of hoping that MAYBE she might grow a bit more. If not, no big loss. She has a heart of gold and is great with the kiddos, that is the important thing. I was just curious, I've read so many labels I don't know which product has the most amount of biotin in it. That seems to be the magiv ingredient, doesn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used MTG in the past with excellent results. Good luck, and post pics with your progress. This really could be a learning experience for us all.
MTG (Mane Tail Groom) works really well. I have one of my clients using on an Arab and not only is the tail looking better, the lady's fingernails on the hand she applies with are growing better.

It's made by Shapleys ( hope I spelled that right ) Tractor Supply carries along with most major feed stores.

Latest posts

Back