Ground Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawna

Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering, what is the youngest recommended age you can train your mini to Ground drive.

I start late in their two year old year... so that they have several months of ground driving before I hook early in their three-year-old year.

You CAN ground drive a yearling or early two-year-old... but WHY? Mentally they aren't mature enough to really start mellowing out and obeying and doing work this early... the longer you can wait, the better for the horse.

There are plenty of other "lessons" a yearling or young 2yr can work on. Go for walks around scary places, trailer, bathe, clip, set up for halter, etc.

Good luck!

Andrea

Thank you Andrea,

I was just wondering. I have a way to go with her on other training before I do that I just wasn't sure of a good age.

I have trained 2. Started one at a year, the other as a late 2 year old. Had more problems with the 2 year old.

I am training a few right now as well. 2 are 2 year olds, haveing issues with them, but it might be because they are ponies.

I grew up with a father who was big into harness driving (drafts and standardbreds), so I use many of his techniques. You can start with just putting on a bridle and harness as a yearling and just letting them stand with the harness on. Then ground driving at two years, however, make the sessions short as two year olds still have a short attention span and you don't want to sour them, hitching at three and gradually increasing their practice time. Lots of Fun. Good Luck.

I trained my 3-4 year old first the pressure release method, front back side and side, then in the round pen ..loose, and it was more like an arena...then worked to a lunge line...then introduced the bit, bridal, (copper half cheek snaffel) then rollar , then lunged with all the stuff (bridal and something around his middle) then ground drove , and he was a dream , and so light , then hooked him up to a small piece of wood to drag in the arena , then after he was totally OK with that , the cart with me walking behind it ...and he was PERFECT!!!! I had good luck with that method , and he has a lot of trust in me and NO issues.

good luck

Latest posts

Back