Ground Driving through town

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
This weekend is a HUGE festival for our town. It's called Swiss Days and it's a giant 2 day craft fair (for lack of a better term). There are hundreds of vendors, food, entertainment, and huge crowds. The town is crazy busy getting ready for it and I live only 1/2 a block away from "ground zero". I'm usually not a fan of Swiss Days since the crowds make it impossible to even get in and out of my driveway. BUT.... I decided I could use the hustle and bustle to my advantage this year. What a perfect time to take Clementine out for ground driving around town.

We tacked up and headed out the gate towards town square. We had bicycles, ATVs, kids running up, tractors, floats, other horses, barking dogs, and lots of traffic cones to weave in and out of. She was a champ. She went right where I asked her to. Through the crowds. Allowed kids to run up and pet her. Right by dogs charging the fence. No problems. I was so proud of her and so impressed with the training she received from Keri.

Oh hubby also ground drove her a bit for me while I ran in the house for a bit. He was also impressed with how well she responds to pressure and how easy she was to drive.

I did things like that with my mini before I got him a cart. I ground drove him EVERYWHERE. After he started driving he'd go anywhere and do anything no problem. I am glad I took the time to do that before going straight to driving with the cart.

That is the best thing for Clementine and you for experience! Get them out there and exposed to every scenario. Sounds like you are having a ball with Clementine! I enjoy reading your progress!

That's awesome. A great experience for both your horse and yourself and YES, you'll see the benefits when you hitch and go with the cart.

I was having a hard time understanding why a "new" mare was spooking and so nervous when we drove out around the "circle" (2.3 miles around our "block" - some directly on the road, some on the shoulder (s), some in the field edges). Then I realized that I hadn't done the ground driving off our property that I had with Bell, Bit, Koalah and some f the others. I ended up ponying her couple of times off the pair, and it made a huge difference. I have several that I need to ground drive off and about now - they are great on our property.

Will be taking 6 ponies to a driving/plow day function this weekend. 2 have already been driven to the wagon out on two plow day functions (Bell and her 3 yr old daughter, GG) and the others have been out a few times but not hooked, have been working ("logging" here). So now I'll ground drive them out. Might take a cart with me and see how they do... Also will have a mini sized wagon tongue with me - may just get them hitched for the first time after ground driving them around.

Latest posts

Back