Ground Driving show class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
I just recently received some pictures of ground driving classes in the UK. (sent to me because a Star Skipper son is one of the lead horses... 2 year old horses)

skippersoninUK2.jpg

Why don't our shows here in the US offer these classes?

Do we have any people from the UK who could explain the criteria by which these classes are judged? ... the rules, etc?

It seems to me these classes could be another way to promote good performance geldings. And might also give new drivers a chance to try their reinsmanship before going in hitched.

What do y'all think? Would this be worth promoting?

Charlotte

That's a little different than I thought it would be when I opened this thread. I thought it would be long-rein dressage. Hmmm, that does seem to be a class that might be a nice addition though. Maybe the horses wouldn't be rushed quite so much to be hitched up. Also, nice driving vehicles can be really expensive so maybe you would get some people in a class without vehicles that wouldn't be in a class with a vehicle.

Good idea for all the above reasons. I think maybe its just another class that someone would have to try and promote to the officials to try and get it. Sounds like a good idea to me.
default_smile.png

I think it would be great! You could have them split with single and team classes. I for one love to long rein and would love to have a class show in. You are right, you may get more people showing that couldn't because of the expense of the cart, as well as being able to get there feet wet before competing with a vehicle. Could even do a combined class where you do both.

Where I would love to see a class like this is at shows for "big horses". A whole division of mini classes to include, halter, color, trail, hunter, jumper, and ground driving. Maybe liberty if it would work. That would show the "big horse" people all the things you can do with minis, without having to worry about the safety issues involved with mixing mini carts with large, often scared, horses in sometimes cramped areas.

Thinking outside the box here....

I absolutely would LOVE to see a class like this being promoted!! What a great idea for so many reasons. It could be a stepping stone to those who want to eventually show their horses in driving classes but have to wait for them to be a certain age and broke to drive before entering the ring...aside from doing the other performance or halter classes with them...this would be a lead into the ring for driving. I'm all for it!
default_yes.gif
default_thumbup.gif

Great ideas guys!
default_aktion033.gif

Is there anyone here from the UK who is familiar with these classes and could tell us how they are judged and what the rules are?

Charlotte

I dont think it is a 'traditional' class? But what do I know!

ALL local clubs around here offer ground driving and obstacle GD classes.

*Pulls out rulebook*

To be judged on performance, way of going, with emphasis on manners, responsiveness, willingness, plus general attitude, and correctly harnessed.
default_biggrin.png

I have done ground driving classes in reinsmanship and obstacle at a show here in Ontario! They ran just the same as the regular classes of those names and were lots of fun!!!

I can't imagine them getting this class in a rated show (AMHA/AMHR) because there are already so many classes, and the multiple driving classes are pretty scarce to begin with, even at the National level.

I imagine this "European ground driving class" is not at a rated show, but rather at a specific driving-type show. Remember there are lots of show venues.

I can see this class being a nonrated "fun" class, but why not just hook the horse up to a vehicle? Minis have such inexpensive, small vehicles to begin with, I don't see the point of ground driving. Most people hook their horses young for futurities and such to begin with, we have an American mentality of breaking early.

Andrea

I think it would be allot of fun but i agree with andrea, your not going to get it at a rated show i dont think.

I, personally, enjoyed ground driving, allot actually. I know i could have allot of fun with this class, actually if they had in unrated at a unrated show or something of that sort i think it would be fun enough to try.

I think this class would be fun to have and to compete in. I know I will be bringing this up at the local driving club that I showed at....Just as a idea I'd say. I do think it might be hard to get it to the national level but then again we all thought that of western country pleasure and it made it. Of at first it should be nonrated to see what kind of turnout shows get...Might be nice to have though since I am sure there are quite a few people who can't afford a fancy show cart. Kinda like me...LOL.. I know one day I will get a new cart but it might not be as soon as I hope...So I personally would love to see this as a added class. :D

I think that would be great ! I know it would be good for the small horse I have that the kids drive if it was before there regualr driving classes then I could take the small guys that I feel I am to big to be driving in and make sure they are ready for the kids i can come up with a bunch of reasons i would l ike to see this class!

Should be interesting to see what comes of it!

RNR

I think it would be a great idea. I personally don't show driving have only done halter. Maybe then the younger horses would get some show experience without the cart, yet in a harnes, then you wouldn't have as many scared horses their first time out

I too think this would be a great class to have and if they will not add it as a rated class then see if they would put it in as a Jackpot class like the hands off halter obstacle that was added to the Corsicana, Tx show. Wouldn't it be fun to do this type of class doing obstacles? I think it would be great because I sure do see alot of people making 30 day wonders out of driving horses which I will not do because to me that is dangerous and I do not believe it benefits the horse either. I know I would NEVER take one for driving training unless they left them for 60 days and preferably 90 days.

Latest posts

Back