Grosshills Velvet and Lace

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tab

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this mare as far as show record and a progeny report? Does anyone have pictures they could private message me? Thank you.

I remember this mare well. She had an incredible show career, with well over 300 halter points. She was shown by Danielle Hill when she was the trainer for Grosshill Farm (NJ). Try contacting Toni Reece. She may know where you can track a photo down. She has a professional photo shoot done by the late Amy Toner and was featured in multiple ads. She was owned by De Cheval (I think from NJ as well) who I believe is no longer in the business.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just looking into this mare! She just sold this weekend per her owner. I did alot of research on her as I was possibly looking to buy her so I have some info if you would like what I have. She's a Rhoten's Little Dandy daughter! She only had two registered foals according to the registries. She hasn't been able to get in foal from what I've been told by current/past owners.

Send me a PM if you would like what info I have!

Becky

Thanks for the replies!

I haven't posted on this forum in years but do check in periodically, always keeping my membership current and support LB completely. This topic stood out to me so I'd like to address if I'm not intruding.

Leeside and Roxys Mom are both correct.

Grosshills Velvet & Lace, born in 1993 is a Rhotens Little Dandy daughter and a Bond Dynamo granddaughter. Her dam, Little Kings Cayenne, is a product of the Komoko breeding stock. Grosshills Velvet & Lace is one of the highest pointed halter mares in the history of the AMHA amassing 317 halter points and so many other supreme and champion titles you can’t list them all.

I was not aware until this post that she had only two foals in her lifetime - or should I say only two foals are registered and in the studbook (not to say she didn't have more that just never got registered, but if she had a difficult time getting settled, these two could certainly be her only foals and with her show record one would be crazy not to register any of her offspring).

I'm pleased to say that we own one of her only two foals born, De Chevels Velvet Noir (we call Velvet). Grosshills Velvet & Lace had two fillies according to the studbook. One in 2000 that is marked DECEASED in the studbook and my guess is she died prior to becoming permanent status as she has no height listed (this usually is recorded in the studbook when the horse becomes permanent - back then, it was 5 years for permanent status versus the 3 year limit currently). Her daughter we own, is a 2005 model and has reproduced extremely well for us. She's a fabulous mare.

So with that said I can safely say that we own the only foal of Grosshills Velvet & Lace and are the only breeder producing Grosshills Velvet & Lace grandget. Gee, that makes her even more of an asset here I guess?

De Chevels Velvet Noir, the daughter we own, produced a beautiful dun filly for us by Billion Bucks in 2009, then a black colt in 2011 by our Buckeroo son, and last year in 2012 she produced a palomino colt by another of our Buckeroo sons. Her 2009 dun filly by Billion Bucks had her first baby for us this year (2013 a stunning palomino colt by our Scout son) and he sold to a Massachusettes show home in less than 24 hours of being advertised as a weanling. So we are breeding two generations of Grosshills Velvet & Lace here. Both the 2011 and 2012 colts are still here. The 2009 dun filly is in our broodmare band and is rebred to our Scout son for 2014 to hopefully repeat another exceptional foal.

If you are fond of Velvet & Lace genetics (as your post suggests), knowing she is unable to foal (and at 21 probably less likely to settle if been baron for years), and would like to still add her genetics to your program or show string - feel free to contact me as we are the only producers of her grandget (her daughter will not be offered anytime soon).

Congratulations on bringing this grand dame into your herd Tab! She is so beautiful and simply a piece of living history. I hope she has found a forever home there with you, she certainly deserves it.

Reactions: Tab
Thanks Deb but please note I do not own the 1993 Grosshills Velvet & Lace herself. I own her only living foal - her daughter, De Chevals Velvet Noir
default_smile.png

Thank you for this information! She is somewhat of a living legend then. Neat! Marlene, could you share some pictures of her daughter Velvet Noir, and grand-foals? That would be wonderful if you could! I have seen some ads for Chevals farm in old MHV magazine and I remember listing their site but I have not been able to find any past National show photos of Velvet & Lace. Maybe someone out there has some old MHW magazines with her in them?

Latest posts

Back