Grooming Salons, Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
What do YOU look for when choosing a grooming salon for your pet?

After all of these years of being a professional dog groomer I have decided to take the plunge and open my own salon. I am actually opening it with a co-owner / a friend. She already owns her own successful mobile grooming business and with my own existing clients and hers I don't think business will be an issue to start off with, as we build at our new location.

Obviously, safety is first. Together we have over 30 years experience so know the measures to take to ensure kennel and salon safety and well being.

We want a spa, yet home-like atmosphere. Calming music, aroma therapy plug ins for pets, perhaps a TV or two for distraction in kennel area..

When choosing a grooming salon what really keeps you coming back?

Would/are you interested in the extra 'bling'? Dyes, feather extensions, glitter bling, etc.?! (All animal approved / safe).

Would you be willing to pay additional fees for 'extras'? - better shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushing, special fragrances, nail polish, etc.?

Any other helpful hints appreciated.

We pick up the keys tomorrow and the remodeling starts next week. The store we are leasing used a Verizon store so we have a lot of work to get away from that look as they left just about everything Verizon except merchandise.

I will however need to give my current place of employment 30 days notice soon as I am contract bound. I feel kind of bad - store has only been open a year and a lot of their business relies on me. This is something I have always wanted though.

Thanks!

Go for it Boss Mare.My former Corgi breeder is now my groomer so I don't have lots of ideas.When I did take my 1 poodle mix to a groomer I looked for the finished product and how my dog reacted when we walked in the door.Most dogs like to be pampered so a relaxed atmosphere is essential.I think you will do GREAT since word of mouth is your best deal.You will get new clients from the good experience of your existing ones.I'm sure you will be fine.guess you won't be relocating to the north anytime soon.Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Bev!

Yeah, as much as I would like to move this is an opportunity I've always wanted and couldn't refuse. Guess I will be in MD for at least another five years as that's how long the lease is to start with.

The gears in my head are turning non stop with excitement, worries, ideas and just about everything else.. so ready to get this up and running. We are doing everything out of cash, but even on a budget hope to make this as great as we can!

When I was running a shop we didn't charge extra for much, yes medicated shampoos, teethe cleaning, but not for bows, bandanas, or purfume, or nails. On Wed. we offered senior citizen discount day, giving our elderly clients 10% off. We also charged more for rush jobs, such as the pom that needed to be in and out in an hour and a half, plus he was scissored. We also charged more for the once a year matted variety, If an owner didn't take the time to brush fido but wanted them scissored we charged extra for the extra time spent dematting. If matting was severe, I would not demat no matter how much money was offered. The biting pet was a whole nother issue and some clients just couldn't understand why they were being charged for their pet nearly taking off a hand. We had a separate room insulated for those barking guys that had to stay all day cause mom worked, and we also had our own washer and dryer, I didn't want to take dog hair home with me. One of the best investments ever was in a floor dryer, I really helped getting those large breeds dry, just by using the air in the room and didn't get hot. I also had a plumber put in a hair catcher on the tub, so it could be cleaned out without the hair going down the drain and clogging it up. Hated our auto shampoo system and had it removed. i'M SURE i'LL THINK OF SOMETHING ELSE LATER.

Offer a no frills economy no fancy grooming for folks that need help but are down on their luck or maybe jobless but still need assistance cleaning up a pet. I know no frills can take as long as real grooming. I guess my thought process goes back to the vet I once worked for. He had a few elderly clients that had no money for expensive vet visits. I saw him take veggies as payment from one lady and tell her she grew the best tomatoes in the state. Another guy that came in was so happy he found a winter coat along the road on the walk to the office..he needed his dog treated and my boss down played the expenses and pretended the cost was less and the guy never knew. I love your ideas by the way. I'm sure you will have a great business. Places around here don't charge extra for bows and some cut a little swatch of fabric for makeshift bandannas instead of bows for the "cool dogs" Ps..bargain grooming is not advertised...just offered for needy folks. My vet has helped me on occasion for operations she knows I cannot afford. Tells me she found some donated medications too. I love her for "knowing" and for being so cool. She also does free spays for local rescues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys!

Remodeling starts Monday and we hope to open October.. I am so excited and nervous. I think we will be okay though.

Oh, I am a sucker for giving discounted grooms to those in need. It touches my heart.. Even those that aren't neccisarily in need I feel my prices are very reasonable, some times I just like the person or dog so much!

Congratulations on your new grooming business!

We used to get our wire and long hair dachshunds groomed......I liked the package deals shampoo, clipping, nails etc. We used our local PetsMart, the groomers there were good with Rylee and Grace! They would look so cute trotting out when finished so proud of their new hairdo! Lol These are the 2 little girls we lost this past year.......miss them.

Best Wishes to you!! Keep us posted on how everything is going!

You are very cool boss mare. Cant wait to hear all about it as you progress. I am a sucker too. I do private obedience lessons all the time for free. I just can't help myself. lol.

I just wanted to say, I'm so happy for you Michelle! I know you're going to be a big success!!!

Maybe do fun things once in a while (or to get the party started) Advertise that with each grooming, they get a ticket in a drawing for a 50% off voucher for their next visit. (or something like that)

Maybe do fun things once in a while (or to get the party started) Advertise that with each grooming, they get a ticket in a drawing for a 50% off voucher for their next visit. (or something like that)
To add on to that, I've seen a lot of restaurants have a jar where you can drop off your company's business card and they do a monthly drawing for lunch. Maybe you could do something like that for your business.

Have you seen the show Tabitha's Salon Takeover? She has done a pet salon. That may be an interesting episode to watch (you may have to get it through iTunes though). She is a very no-fuss woman and cuts right through all the BS. You can watch some full episodes on Youtube.

Wow this is exciting for you! What you have described sounds wonderful. Have you chosen a name yet for a advertising campaign?

Thanks all. :)

We are making some progress.. Got rid of a lot of the old Verizon fixtures and display cabinets that were left behind.. Got some drywall work done and lots of primer to cover up the red and black walls. More painting and drywall over the next few days.. The horrible red glued down carpet comes up this weekend and we get to decide on an epoxy floor color.

As for the name, since my friend already owns her own mobile grooming business, we are using the same name.. DANG DIRTY DOG - not a huge fan, but it shall do. LOL

You could do an add on type name like " your choosen name" and the dang dirty dog. Our feed store Did that.... they used to be called Oxford grain and hay but since they do petfood and sell lumber they call themselves Oxford feed and lumber at the grain and hay location and they have another store called pets and friends..etc. add on names attract more business and can be used to snare Internet attention for your business. Ps.. I admire your ambitions

Stupid kindle picking words for me..forgive the Multi edits

I like that! it's descriptive and catchy...first thing I thought of was the Guy Fiery show Diners Drive ins and Dives that he refers to as Triple D! ;o) It's good business sense to use the brand recognition of her existing business but I can't help but wonder if something were to happen in the future where would that leave you? with all the time and money invested in a business partnership...I mean you'd have basically partnered into a existing business and then leave with what you have now. You both would be on even ground with a new name, then if something happened and you dissolved your partnership your friend (who could go back to her DDD name) and you would be on even ground. Good luck! I know it seems like a lot of work still to do but your business will be booming in no time!!

Adding to my ideas....Like DirecTV, if someone refers a friend that comes to you, they both get a ticket in the jar for a drawing on a prize or a voucher (or something) That'd bring in more customers
default_smile.png

I would suggest looking into doing a groupon/living social deal. Set a limit you can handle. That should help bring in a lot of business.

What do YOU look for when choosing a grooming salon for your pet?

After all of these years of being a professional dog groomer I have decided to take the plunge and open my own salon. I am actually opening it with a co-owner / a friend. She already owns her own successful mobile grooming business and with my own existing clients and hers I don't think business will be an issue to start off with, as we build at our new location.

Obviously, safety is first. Together we have over 30 years experience so know the measures to take to ensure kennel and salon safety and well being.

We want a spa, yet home-like atmosphere. Calming music, aroma therapy plug ins for pets, perhaps a TV or two for distraction in kennel area..

When choosing a grooming salon what really keeps you coming back?

Would/are you interested in the extra 'bling'? Dyes, feather extensions, glitter bling, etc.?! (All animal approved / safe).

Would you be willing to pay additional fees for 'extras'? - better shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushing, special fragrances, nail polish, etc.?

Any other helpful hints appreciated.

We pick up the keys tomorrow and the remodeling starts next week. The store we are leasing used a Verizon store so we have a lot of work to get away from that look as they left just about everything Verizon except merchandise.

I will however need to give my current place of employment 30 days notice soon as I am contract bound. I feel kind of bad - store has only been open a year and a lot of their business relies on me. This is something I have always wanted though.

Thanks!
Truthfully I need to know you'll treat my animals well. All the rest does not matter to me. I had worked at a pet store for a few years and the owner decided to bring in a groomer. Out of 4 different groomers 2 out of 4 were MEAN to the animals.It makes me cry talking about it so I'll go no farther. Just make sure your kind and the rest will fall in place.

I wish you the best
default_thumbup.gif
Good Luck!

Jacks thunder, you are totally right! How they treat the dogs is so important. I used to work for a vet and I had a lady pay me a very nice compliment. It was funny so I will share... A dog came in to the vet and I leaned over the counter, called the dog by his name and asked owner how leg was doing and etc etc... then I asked for the owners name. She laughed out loud and said she thought it was cool that I remembered her dog and everything about him and couldn't remember her name at all, she said that was "just right" that her vets assistant remembered the animals above the owners. haha. I am bad with human names, but can call up a dogs name out of a hat even if I haven't seen the dog for many years and I can remember everything about the dog. selective memory for critters I guess. so I guess what I am saying is that it is important to remember your clients dog even if you have to make a log book and make notations about things the owners say about their dog and if you had any difficulty with the grooming, or if you noticed something odd health wise you might want to mention such as impacted anal glands, or something scaly about the skin etc.

I once had a dog in an obedience class that had a funny texture to his hair, it stood on end and looked funny around the eyes. It was a shar pei and I just had a funny feeling about it so I wrote the word "demodex" on a piece of paper and gave it to the owner and told her to ask her vet next time she was in to check her dog for mites. She did and came back to me and said her vet was amazed that a obedience instructor would spot the signs of demodex, dog turned out positive and got treated.

As vet assistants and groomers and instructors we handle folks dogs very closely and we can become very good at spotting "alert" things we see to peoples dogs and enhance the quality of life and I truly believe that instructing and helping folks is so rewarding.

Your business will be awesome.

I am in the process of having a friend / client and also my go to lady for just about any tax or business question draw up a business contract. This will state what each is entitled too if we shall part ways regarding business, who is responsible for what, etc. We are all ready attending LLC meetings, insurance issues handled, animal control will inspect once opened and health dept is all ready involved and permits are in order.

This remodel of a previous Verizon store has really been a task. Each night when I leave my current job I am there, my days off I am there from about 8am-11pm.. My business partner still runs her mobile grooming, so much of this construction and handling has fallen onto me. Can't say we haven't had a mild conflict already, just because she isn't available as much but she is apologetic and I know she can't neccisarily reschedule appointments when she travels to 3-4 counties. I am also a motivated person and want this salon up and ready. Especially because I had to put in my 30 days at my current employer and want as little gap as possible between my last day and opening new salon day.

Fortunately, business parter and I have a good rep for being the compassionate groomers around here. We are all about educating the customer in all regards - not just selling a product, but educating any problems we may see: allergies, skin/coat, dental, behavioral, etc.

Recently I had a dog have a potty accident in the kennel, knew from the smell alone it was a severe UTI. Client picked up pet, went to vet that night, client came back to tell me the vet said I saved the dog's life.. The UTI was that bad. Dog had a fence yard and the owner never noticed the smell.

Coupons, raffles are an idea too!

Next month I am attending a grooming expo in Hershey, PA and I am sure I will come back with some great products and ideas.

Thanks so much guys!!

Added:

I was a groomer at Petco for 7 years- talk about some rough groomers!

I also worked at a very high end kennel as a groomer. The place was perfect (looking!!). I've seen many boarded dogs die, dog fights, dogs starved, a hidden puppy mill ran by the owner in the woods, anima abuse beyond words.. I didn't witness but heard the day the owner threw a litter of pug puppies in the pond because he tried to flea dip them, burned the eyes so bad they were "worthless" to him because he couldn't sell them. I've seen him pull puppies being born out in pieces because he didn't want to call the vet. I've told him &@#% off many times and rushed animals to the vet, had two die in my car.. Animal control was out a couple times a week the six months I was there.. Finally, found another place to work and never went back. It was under investigation for awhile, but I haven't heard any update.. I try to avoid the owner because I left without notice and knowing his criminal history I don't want to be confronted by him.. Oh and I've had to go into work before when he had called me from jail.. Beating his girlfriends, attempted murder to a homeless man he saw on the road after a night of drinking.. Yep, had to get out of there!

New place of employment is wonderful, just want my 'own' place.

OMG! You're going to Groom Expo in Hershey, I so miss that! Love the hotel, we used to jog in the halls, the seminars are so great. We once won the matted dog art exhibit with Lady and the Tramp. Don't want to age myself but, we attended the very first one, and many more.

Where are you going to be located? If in Southern Maryland I'll come by and say hi!

Latest posts

Back