Grinding feed....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Ok so this may seem like a strange question, but why does Sandy grind her feed pellets in her bowl before she eats it? She will grind them in her mouth and drop them back in her bowl then when she has almost all of them ground she starts to eat. At first I thought it was her teeth, maybe needing to be floated, but she isnt dropping feed per say, just grinding.

Wondered if anyone else's mini does this? And could it be her teeth?Maybe just a strange habit?

Yes, I'd still have her teeth checked. Have you tried sticking you fingers up along side her teeth for points? I don't recommend doing any more than that or you could get bit........a vet or equine dentist can do that. Have you ever found chewed clumps of hay left?

Thanks, no never clumps of hay, and she doesnt do it with grass or hay. Just the feed. I called an equine dentist and she wont touch pregnant mares but she will after the foal is born. I will have her check her then. I just thought it strange!

Latest posts

Back