Greetings!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually had to look up where Weed is! So you're up near Shasta - I used to live in Hayfork! Congrats on your little one - and welcome to the forum!

Liz N.

What an awesome story. I fully believe that all things happen in our life for a reason, good and bad as part of our life journey. There is a reason you answered the craigslist ad, saw this fellow and befriended the owner. What an exciting time. Can't wait for your new members to show up at your home. !!!

Saturday was supposed to be the mini horse and pygmy goat delivery day...I never figured trying to find a horse trailer would be the hardest part! Actually I thought finding the horse was hard. (I've only been window shopping for the horse of my dreams since I was 12!)
Getting his enclosure ready with frozen ground in the wintertime wasn't easy either. Getting hay was also a difficulty and one heck of a drive! If I didn't have a fantabulous son, (Johnny)the 1,000 lbs of hay would permanently be in the back of the truck. and then the trailer... Oh boy! Miss Lady that I'm buying the horse and goat from, was trying to borrow one locally. Her leads didn't pan out. So I tried Budget rental. (Out of business) Reese, the Uhaul Dude was cheerful but unhelpful. Waiting list and almost as expensive as the horse! I got on the waiting list but when they finally called me back they wanted a $60 deposit for a truck they didn't have! (Hmpf)
Ed, (Our closest friend) found a trailer but it has a broken axel... crud! Hubby found another that is full of trash. If we can afford a dump run we can use it... (Again, COST!)Eldest son Joshy, also found another filled with trash (What the heck is wrong with people???!) So, after several days of this, I finally found a friend willing to loan me a trailer! They live 2 hours away from me. I called her yesterday at my eldest daughter's advice. She said Momma, if there's anyone with a propensity to get herself in trouble like you do, it's Sue! Call her...

So I did, and she laughed and laughed and said I follow your blog and I keep an eye on your antics. I LOVE what you've done with the birds! (I raise lap turkeys, I'll post about that sometime so ya'll can meet the flock too! Ever known of a 30 lb bird that likes sitting in laps and kisses to the forehead?? Way fun!)Anyway, she went on to say that they have a little trailer with tall sides. Would that work? I think it would be perfect! A rather long, long way to go to do somebody a favor, bless their kind hearts!... so, that's the plan.
Unfortunately, we are expecting a "wintry mix" for Tuesday. Perfect. LOL I may make Willow and Jane Doe each a hat...
So there ya go, if I've been silent a while, it's because my Momma always told me if you can't say something nice....
Yeah, so, I could really use a hug! lol
Nothing worth having comes easy, right?

Today is the day!!! Afternoon can't get here soon enough! Will post pics real soon!
Good Blessings to one and all!

Well that was thoroughly unsuccessful. Several hours spent fiddling with trailer lights and a long drive. We get there and Sam and Andee (horse & goat owners) are standing in the mud grinning when we get there. No halter for the horse, they had one that fit him when he was a baby...no rope apparently either. So I gather the 4 dog leashes I have in my purse and start making a loop. That works, Willow is clearly hungry and there's no food anywhere that I can see. So I get a loop around his neck and Sam leads him to the trailer. He sees what we are up to and Willow locks his knees and leans backward, wild eyed. Sam pats his butt and he leaps sideways and starts to buck my direction. I move out of the way, not wanting to be caught between him and the trailer and the chase is on. Very slowly and quietly around and around and around the property through mud, ice, downed barbed wire, skeet shot, shotgun cartridges and beer cans (this place was dismal). I noticed that willow had blood on his leg and pointed it out to Sam who informs me he slaughtered a pig out there today. Big grin!!!
(Seriously? I wonder if the horse might possibly be a tad bit spooked by the smell of fresh blood on his knees? Ya think??)
Eventually, around and around, I stop and look around and (I'm the only one doing this)Andee's on the porch talking with someone who stopped by. Sam is leaning forward, hands on knees, quite a ways back, apparently where he gave up the chase. Red faced, he mutters Andee's mom has a horse trailer. We'll have to deliver them to you. He looks about to keel over from exhaustion. Dear Husband is quietly standing by the trailer waiting. The goat runs past on her 14th loop around the fenceline and screams at me as she jets by. The horse is now in the front yard, liberated from the mud pit he's been locked in with a goat and a screaming, dying pig today and hes happily found a tiny frost bitten clump or two of grass to nibble on. Sam needs to rest for like a week and I can't do this alone. Game Over. Came home apologizing to Hubby the whole way. For the entire mess. What happens now? I dunno but my parting suggestion to Sam was maybe you should start orbiting the yard alot earlier in the day next time we try this. I hugged Sam bye. He seemed to need it.
So, Willow and Jane are eating grass in the yard, hopefully they wont bother catching them, if that's even possible. At least out there they can find their own food for now. I hurt me deeply to leave them there but you can't catch a terrified horse. (at least I wasn't able to) Woke to new snow on the ground. I don't have a horse trailer and the trailer I borrowed isn't going to work. Too small. Did I mention they fibbed? Doubtful that Willow is a mini. If he is, he's a mite bigger than they mentioned previously. So we drove 2 hours to come home empty handed. Doesn't matter much. Both animals are without food. That can't stand. I wish she'd been honest at least about the food part. You don't leave animals to stand around without food in a mud pit. You just don't. I would have happily brought them food had I known. There's plenty here, awaiting their arrival.
I don't know what to do...

Oh, this is so terrible - I have goosebumps thinking about it. And you're paying them $200 to rescue this poor wee neglected creature?!

To be honest I think you should speak to someone in a local rescue centre. They might even be able to arrange transport for you...

I am so sorry that this happen.

Poor baby's are you still going to get them?

I hope you can get a trailer so they can get out of there

Still trying... please think good thoughts. Snowing like crazy too which doesn't help with the transport. Thanks for your best wishes and I am definitely still trying all I can. I've called several rescues. So far nothing but I'm not giving up! I offered to bring her feed for them in the interm too. Let's hope she takes me up on that part at least!

Goodness gracious. Sometimes in life you reach a place where you have to take a step back and look at the situation from inside out, if that makes any sense to you.

(You can call all the local SPCA type organizations there in that county to report these conditions and say they have no food/hay etc. and see how that works.

Most rescue organizations cannot seize.)

Afterthought: This is not the best video on the subject but this guy does make some very good points. I hope you don't find it inappropriate. Best wishes you to and I'm sorry for what you have been through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely wasn't offended Marty. The man has a way with horses and obviously loves them. Thank you for that. It opens up a whole can of worms though in this case. I was able to get a loop around his head, I was able to run my hands over his face, neck and back. I did lift and stroke his tail. He was cautious and curious but not spooky until the man (current owner) started to approach him with blood on his boots... He was fine until he figured out that the man intended to put him in the trailer. Does he have good feet? That's very questionable. He was standing in a mud pit. When he escaped the mud pit he bucked and ran. Once he discovered that he was on relatively dry ground and could smell the grass beneath his feet he quietened down and nibbled until either of us got close and then he's hop/skip to a place where he could watch us and continue to eat. He's hungry. That's about all I can tell for sure. I could feel his spine and hips slightly, didn't seem seriously under weight but wouldn't you be scared if there was a dead pig hanging in your stall (falling down barn?)
My experience is limited. I may be in wayyy over my head. BUT I do have the time to do this. I have the heart and patience to do this. Does this make him the right horse for me? I won't know for a while yet I guess. Am I doing this because my heart tells me to? Definitely. Feel free to play Devil's advocate. I kind of need one at this point.
Thanks bunches,
Angie

I am with you Angie.

This poor baby needs you so much.

I think in time he may become your best friend.

He already let you touch him on the first day.

I take that as a sign in his favor.

I would not want that " man" near me either after is saw

Him kill a stable mate.

Thanks Rhonda, my heart sure went out to the both of them. The goat was so freaked out I thought 'flying' goat several times. Let's hope time, calm and some stability in their routine makes things better. Patience seems to be the main theme in all of this. I'm doing my best to appreciate the lesson.

I've just heard from the lady. They have picked up the trailer, I don't have a time yet but tomorrow they intend to bring them. She went on to suggest that I buy a halter for him, so that I can start walking him in good weather, so I have no clue how she intends to get him and the goat into the trailer but I guess those details are up to her... Tomorrow!!!!
default_smile.png
Will post pics asap!

I am so glad they are coming home to you.

I may take time and patients for them to warm up to you.

They have been through so much.

Can't wait to hear that they are safe at home with you.

I'm going to guess if all they had was his foal halter, they don't want to pay for a new halter now when he's going to a new home. I'd find that odd under normal circumstances, but not so odd from what you describe of this situation. So, I do hope you have a halter available when your new boy comes home, and for his sake I hope they make it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back