Greetings from Utah

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzybee

Reaction score
Hello! I am brand new to mini's and brand new to driving but not to horses. I just purchased a 5 year old, Amish trained pony with a cart and harness. I have a ton of questions. I fear the setup isn't correct and perhaps the sellers didn't know as much as they thought! I need help!

Hello! I am brand new to mini's and brand new to driving but not to horses. I just purchased a 5 year old, Amish trained pony with a cart and harness. I have a ton of questions. I fear the setup isn't correct and perhaps the sellers didn't know as much as they thought! I need help!
Congratulations and welcome!
If there isn't anyone in your area that can physically guide you then the next best thing is to harness your horse and hitch him and post a photo. People here will give you answer your questions and give you suggestions on what they can see from the photos.
Also there are a lot of instruction videos from a member of this forum available online. See link:

Welcome, Lizzybee. Looking forward to seeing you riding on that cart.:) Keep us posted?

Hello Everyone! I was inspired by this thread to see if I could learn to drive one of our minis. I am new to the horse world. I got my daughter a couple minis during the pandemic, but they aren’t getting enough exercise and they’re starting to have metabolic issues. I went in the blog you recommended here and watched a video about how to start. It said all I needed was a halter and two 10-12 foot lead ropes. Easy enough, even I can do that, but then I looked online and there are so many choices. Any recommendations? Or will any lead ropes do? Which would be better to start, 10 or 12 feet? I posted pictures of our minis, Pumpkin and Sweet Pea (7 and 17) on one of these threads earlier when I joined, but I’ll try to post here again a little later. I don’t think the older one, Sweet Pea, will want to learn how to drive, but I think Pumpkin will and she’s the one who really needs the exercise! I feel bad she’s gotten so heavy, but my teenage daughter doesn’t seem interested in working with them as much as I’d hoped. Heidi

That is a good idea Robert has, hganser. If sewing a pair isn’t doable, Stateline Tack has soft 10’ lead ropes for about $10 each that would work.

If you have a tack shop you visit they may have some there a bit cheaper. So many things have risen in price these days it can be hard to find a bargain!

Thank you all! Unfortunately, I am not a sewer. I saw the lead lines on Stateline Tack. I'll look again. My daughter also gave me some tips: rubber, not leather (easier to care for), and with hooks. We live on Martha's Vineyard, and nothing here is reasonably priced! Heidi :)

Latest posts

Back