Greetings from Long Island NY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin27

Reaction score
Hello everyone at miniaturehorsetalk,

If anyone lives on Long Island, I'd really like to touch base with you.
We have had Katz and Winston about a year.

Katz is the 5 yr old pregnant mare, and a one year old intact male, is Winston
They're not related, but she pretty much showed him how to be a horse and they bonded over the last year

It's time to get Winston gelded, but we were waiting for both of the testes to drop.
He's becoming more difficult to handle as the months have gone by, and they both get upset when we separate them. There is fence between them now. It' seems to work better some days not so good other days. ( mostly emotionally for the little guy)
Our regular vet referred us to a specialty equine clinic. We'd waited the month he suggested, and then two more weeks.
It appears to be only one descended testicle.
They gave us two ranges on surgical prices. One for a simple procedure, and
one using laproscopy and more complex conditions. We're fortunate that this hosptial clinic is close by.
I understand the logic, that if it's simple and straightforward once he's on his back and under anesthesia, sometimes the testicle is just right there, in and out that's fine.
But if they need to really search for it, and do a lot more invasive work, that it's far better to be in an actual hospital setting, and get it done the first time.

I guess the our first concern is how long it will take to burn off the testosterone,
and he's gone from cautiously lipping with the occasional seeming accidental bite,
to deliberately biting, hard, and sneaky. I was bent down giving some water to some new turkey poults, and he came behind and bit the back of my closest bicep pretty good.

I guess it's obvious we're new horse owners, but we did have some one on one with a friend of the family, who works with teaching humans about riding horses, for a living.

a long term goal would be to work on learning to drive or some kind of horse equivalent agility type of activity

thanks
Kevin

these photos are from about 2 weeks back.

katzandwinst2.jpg

katzandwinst.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Being he's only a yearling, it should burn off faster than it would in a mature stallion; but it still might take til fall when thoughts of breeding by any intact male are waning. He's testing you, like all teenagers do; which a yearling colt is about like a teenage boy, all hormones, little to no control without guidance. The ability to breed the mare will be gone in about a month; as soon as the testes are removed there is no more sperm production, but they have an accessory glad that can store a shot or two for about a month. As she is pregnant you'll want to keep them physically separated til after foaling and the foal is stable enough to get away from the colt (after his gelding, as well to be safer).

Welcome to the wonderful world of miniatures.

I had a colt that didn't drop till he was nearly two. You got a challenge with him dropping late, but you're dealing with it perfectly.

When is the mare due? I'm not sure why you have them separated.

I think he may benefit from a lot of in-hand work, working with him haltered. Carry a little dressage whip with you, or a hog bat, and give him a smack on the chest when he gets in your space. A smack with the whip (teeth) is the kind of message a herd boss would give the upstart to teach him respect. Make him move out of your space and only let him approach if you invite him. When he gets uppitiy, walk toward him with a very authoritative manner--make yourself as big as a bear and even roar if you have to--and make him back away. You'd think this would be bad for your relationship, but you will be amazed at how much nicer and friendlier he will be when he learns respect.

He has a very nice, intelligent face! Both are very attractive.

Good luck, and hope to hear more about your hrose adventures!

Welcome! Sounds like you are on the right track with the gelding procedure. My mini was a biter when I got him. Like what Marsha posted above, what worked the best with him was to make myself "BIG" when he bit and make him get out of MY space. By "BIG" I mean standing up straight, shoulders back, with a take no prisoners posture and using my voice to get him to "step out of my space". I would step at him and make him move away. He was not a mini I could reprimand with a smack on the neck or muzzle for biting, it just seem to make him want to rough house more. He still is mouthy, but a whole lot better and still improving.

We had a few days of the young male absolutely tormenting the pregnant mare recently, and a few months ago, there was a lot of mane biting and a lot of rump biting, as if she'd had someone used a clippers on her,
so we thought it was best to recently separate them. Maybe we're just lucky, maybe not, the couple of days separation I think, helped her a lot , - because beforehand mama wasnt very forceful fending him off. I think something's clicked in her head, because they've been doing well together so far, knock wood.

on a different topic:
I bought a couple of rope harness from the folks LazyK corral, on Etsy, (the profit goes to help expenses on horses they rescue)

I chose mini horse sized, but haven't yet had a chance to fit/try them on yet. If they're indeed too big, what's the proceedure for someone new, to snug them up?

It doesnt look that complicated, to fiddle with them to get them snug, I hope??

how do I know the knots are going to put pressure on the right spots on the face?
is it specific points like accupressure or more like a general area?

I'd also been in touch with a friend that's out in Texas,
She recommended Bug-Check, for a supplement. Are those Citronella based equine sprays OK as needed, in addition to building up the base level of Bug-Check
it's not been a very wet spring but eventually we're going to be at mosquito and tick peak season.

thanks for the feedback !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Kevin27

Do you have any idea when the pregnant mare may be due?. When did you breed her ? Most important that they learn to be separated before the foal is born. As your mare will need a little time as she foals and too bond with her foal.

Great you have joined and we look forward to following your Mini horse Journey

Ryan

I just wanted to welcome you! It's nice to have you here
default_smile.png

Welcome to the forum Kevin27

Do you have any idea when the pregnant mare may be due?. When did you breed her ? Most important that they learn to be separated before the foal is born. As your mare will need a little time as she foals and too bond with her foal.

Great you have joined and we look forward to following your Mini horse Journey

Ryan

Thanks Ryan,

One of us, contacted the seller/breeder, and got a date of May 19th,

it seems off, as does Winston's (stallion) age, looking back at it now.

I'm not seeing much happening in the way of nipples or milk collection either. We had a vague date of due in May all this time, which has come and gone.

Monday we have a visit from the Vet, fingers crossed its just sloppy paperwork and incorrect dates.

Was that an expected May foaling date? Horses don't really have "due dates" just average gestation lengths, which for full-size horses is about 342 days, minis probably average about 330 days; but all can go longer, upto a year for many, a few even go past that. [Minis can foal as early as 300 days with healthy foals, full-size not quite that early without them being preemie.]

Hope you get the news you want from the vet, keep us posted.

Your boy needs some serious "I'm the boss" handling. Stallions can be as gentle as mares or geldings. Thinking that gelding will solve your little rebel would be a mistake. He is also in his equine teenage year, which makes them more rambunctious and they like to "horse around".

I'm waiting on hearing from the Vet, hopefully this Friday, and them having bloodwork results back, and another go with the ultrasound

Latest posts

Back