Greener Pastures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeOkie

Reaction score
My sweet old mare lost her gallant fight for life last night and has gone on to greener pastures, where I'm sure she's running with the wind and munching all the green grass that her tummy can hold.

She had gotten ill with a respiratory problem a couple of weeks ago, but had seemingly been able to fight it off. Then she just basically quit eating - I tried every feed I had, made mashes, bought her alfalfa, found patches of green grass and cut it for her, Karo syrup, etc. She just wasn't interested. I had decided yesterday, the kind thing for me to do was to have her humanely put down today. But it was not to be - I found her in her stall this morning already gone.

This is the mare I thought I was going to lose last winter, but she wasn't quite ready at that time. She had her work to do this year. She was the happiest she's been in many a year, as she was given all the weanlings to take care of when they left their mamas! What a good grandma pony she was!!

I talked to her a long time last evening and told her what a good girl she had been and that I understood if she was ready to leave. I guess she was!

Rita

Rita, so very sorry to hear that you lost your galant old matriach. Glad that she was able to leave on her own terms. I know the loss is not easy.

{{{HUGS}}} friend.

Rita, I'm so sorry! I know she had a wonderful & loving home with you. I'm sure she's just loving her green pastures but will always remember you and the love you gave her.

Janis

Last edited by a moderator:
Im so sorry for your loss. Sounds like she knew u were ready for her to go on.

I'm so sorry, Rita.......But in a way, a blessing. She chose HER way.

Rita,

So sorry to hear of your loss, but it is God's gain. And everyone is right, she left, you gave her permission to leave and she took it. Sometimes, only from my own experience on January 6th and other loved ones years before, do I know, sometimes it is just us saying it is okay to go home.

when you are crying remember her with the young ones or other favorite memories.

take care, I will be thinking of you today!

So sorry for your loss, but I'm glad for you and her that it worked out this way for her. Maybe just a little easier than having to help them along.

She sounds like she had a wonderful home with you, a lucky old gal!

Sorry to hear about your loss.
default_sad.png

Apparently she went when it was her time and thats good.. She was ready to move on to take care of the others over the rainbow bridge...

I am sorry for your loss. She was lucky to have been with you where there was so much love.

hugs

Bonnie

I'm so sorry you lost your good ol girl Rita.
default_sad.png

It sounds like she had such a happy year last year!

I'm glad you talked to her last night and let her know it was ok to go.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

I am so sorry for your loss but so happy she was able to go home on her own
default_yes.gif
At least you got to say goodbye last night.

Oh Rita, I'm so sorry. It's hard to lose those older gals that have been with you so long - we just lost one, not that old, last week and it's still odd to not see her in the pasture anymore. {{ Hugs }}

Jan

Rita,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Holding you in hugs and prayers.

In His Hands,

Tanya

I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a grand old mare she must have been. It's a testament to your wonderful care that she had such a long and wonderful life. She will be missed.

Rita,

I'm so sorry the lovely lady couldn't hold on anymore, but it was obviously her time. It's obvious from how you speak of her she was much loved.
default_wub.png

I know how you feel. I am so happy you had such a wonderful girl in your life. She sounds like an outstanding individual. It sounds like you guys shared some wonderful times together. I am so sorry it came to an end but I am happy for you to have been the one to take care of her till the end of her days. In these times of "disposeable" pets, I can not express how good it makes me feel to read posts (though very sad at the same time) of people who have loved there pets so dearly and stuck it out with them till the very end. truly...

It's great that you had a long chat with her before the end. No regrets for you. I still remember a beloved family dog we had as a child. When he was gone, I wished I had told him what a good friend he was.

Latest posts

Back