Great Danes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
I know quite a few members on here own Great Danes. I was wondering if you could please tell me anything and everything about owning and having a great dane as part of the family? Thanks very much!

Gentle giants even as pups. I have a 4 pound Yorkie, a 6 pound yorkie and a Rottweiler(elderly) He is sweet with all of them. The yorkies lay on top of him.

Last year when my Dad got so sick and moved in with me, I thought I would have to re-home Rumble being afraid he would knock my Dad down being so frail and barely getting around with a walker.

Rumble proved me wrong. He walked quietly and carefully around my Dad, like he was walking on eggs.

He is not a coward but will let all the other dogs eat from his food bowl without complaint.

He leans against people he loves, a real Great Dane trait. He is a cuddler. He needs to touch me all the time. His devotion is amazing. I got him at a time that I really needed someone to love me and he was that someone.

He is not barky, nor whiney. He has eyes that look into your soul, everyone says that about him. His eyes are human like but better than human. Such deep devotion he has for me, and I have for him.

Easy to house break. He did have a month where he chewed a lot. Hated to be crated. He is perfect now at age 2.

He is HUGE. Massive!

I would go to work at 6am and come home at 8pm and when I saw him, it made me GASP, as he would grow bigger while I was away. They grow at a tremendous rate. It is really SHOCKING!!! He loves to run but yet is a couch potato. He is my horse puppy too. He goes to the barn with me.

With their sheer size they are not for every one.

Great Danes ADORE stuffed animals. Stuffies are their favorite thing in the world.

He sleeps in bed with me,my husband, my 2 yorkies and Rottie and its only a queen size bed. We need a

king.

I bought Rumble as a pup, because I was nervous about bringing a grown dog of that size in with my Yorkies. Howver, after getting to know Rumble and other Great Danes, my next one will be from a rescue. Mid Atlantic Great Dane Rescue is very honest about their dogs., and they have some really nice ones. I will adopt my next Great Dane from there. My Rottie is elderly and when the time comes, Rumble will have another friend from there.

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one and she is the greatest. A pure pleasure to have and an irreplacable family member . I'm sure you will get tons of replies saying how absolutely wonderful they are but I want to tell you about the major health issues to watch for, bloat is the biggest. Never allow them to eat or drink too much and no excercise for at least an hour after any meal. And always feed from a raised platform, never from the floor. Make sure they have a good firm bed to lay on, their weight is very hard on the joints if they are made to lay on hard surfaces. Also Great Danes are not made for staying outside in inclement weather, they have very short hair and provides little protection. For behavior make sure they attend obiedience classes, because of their size they HAVE to be well behaved and controllable. They are well worth having though as long as you don't mind the take over of your couch
default_new_shocked.gif
. I would never be without at least one in the house, they are truely gentle giants
default_smile.png

Here is my Jenna with my daughter

JenandSteph.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My family used to breed GD. They are wonderful dogs, they just know they are dogs.

Mad for Minis gave some great info, we experienced every bit of it. They really are more of an inside dog, at least here in Texas. Good luck ion your decision, and kudos for doing your research first.

I forgot to add... in regards to Great Danes being prone to bloat(mentioned in the other post) There is a surgery that costs about $250.00

When the stomach bloats it most often twists and flips over inside, cutting off vital blood flow, and a lot of times even surgery won't help, the circulation dies, the twisting acts like a tournequet.

However, You can have a GD's stomack tacked down so it won't flip over. The dog can still bloat and its an emergency, but the dog has a much better chance if you have the stomach tacking done. The vet tacks down the stomach in all 4 corners. I did it for Rumble.

He eats with his bowl on an elevated platform, must eat in 2 or more meals a day, not ALL at once. and I make him lay done and relax for 2 hours after eating. No excercise after eating for 2 hours.

Great Danes are not known for being long lived, 6-10 years although there are exceptions and bone cancer can be a problem, as well as enlarged hearts and hip problems.

Check with the breeder to see the longevity of his lines, ask what his are prone to. Find out if his breeding dog's have had their hips checked and find out what the results are. I would prefer to have a pup from breeding dogs with the results of "OFA GOOD"

Robin

My Great Dane is the best dog I've ever had.
default_wub.png
Super-smart, gentle with the cats and other dogs, even the new foals, great with the grandchildren, and oh-so-careful with my stepdad who recently had back surgery. My Hayley is 7 years old.

That said, Great Danes may have short hair but they SHED. A LOT. Some drool a lot too, I was lucky and mine doesn't. Hayley can't take cold weather, or too hot of weather, she likes it "just right" (ie: in the house!) Great Danes are expensive to keep--- they need huge beds, lots of food (high-quality please), BIG bones and toys. Vet bills can be higher. But, IMO they are oh-so-worth it.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back