Great Big OOPS!!! Now what???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueprintminis

Reaction score
The stallion was in the paddock adjoining the mares pasture when I left for work this morning. When I got home, he was not in the paddock. I ran into the barn hoping someone had come along and returned him to his stall. Nope! I ran out to the pasture and there he was "snaking" all of "his" mares. The 2 old gelding were cringing in the far corner of the pasture. Good thing he is not too smart, because I called the girls in for dinner and he came too. I cornered him and got a halter on him and returned him to his stall where he belonged. My problem, however, is that he was out with mares that have recently been bred to a different stallion, but not yet confirmed in foal, and he was out with a couple yearlings who I certainly dont want bred, and he was out with several other open mares who I intend to breed to my dilute stallion. What to do? Suggestions?

First order of business would be to tease him with each female to see of they are in heat.........

I think you will need extra room on your stallion report this year.
default_wink.png
(Sorry...my sick sense of humour often gets me into trubble.) :DOH!

Yes, teasing the mares will certainly help, but you will have to put them al on your stallion report, and you will likely have to parent qualify/DNA all the foals of mares who'd been bred to the other stallion(s).

As for the yearlings, if any are showing signs of heat, and you think they have been bred...I think there is a "morning after" shot for horses that will stop the fertilization of an egg. I would definately be calling the vet to be sure. I'd not allow a yearling to carry a foal if at all possible to prevent it.

Latest posts

Back