Grazing Muzzle Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayuse

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
How much does a grazing muzzle really limit grass consumption for minis? I use one on my welsh pony and it does limit his intake a lot, probably by 80%.
My dry lot is full of fallen leaves and will be for amount a month. It is futile to rake or leaf blow it and then let them out as it fills right back up. So my minis are stuck inside unless they are being worked because they will stuff themselves with wilting leaves.
If I got a muzzle would it limit them enough so they could go out on grass for 20 minutes to a half and hour?
I really hate to disrupt their diet as they both need dry lots, but I hate to see them inside even though they are content and have "rooms with views".
Thanks!

They are supposed to limit grass 50-80%. If it works for your Welsh, then it should work for the minis. I don't think 20-30 min on pasture would hurt much. Mine only get 1 hr of pasture (counts as 3/4 lb hay or a meal) a day unless I use the grazing muzzle, then they can stay out 2-3 hrs. I haven't used my muzzles for a few years because of the weather and the grass getting too long before it's cut.
If you're home enough to watch them can you use the muzzle in the drylot to keep them from eating the leaves?
If you want, you can borrow mine to see if it works. I have 3. That way you don't shell out 75$ on an experiment.

They are supposed to limit grass 50-80%. If it works for your Welsh, then it should work for the minis. I don't think 20-30 min on pasture would hurt much. Mine only get 1 hr of pasture (counts as 3/4 lb hay or a meal) a day unless I use the grazing muzzle, then they can stay out 2-3 hrs. I haven't used my muzzles for a few years because of the weather and the grass getting too long before it's cut.
If you're home enough to watch them can you use the muzzle in the drylot to keep them from eating the leaves?
If you want, you can borrow mine to see if it works. I have 3. That way you don't shell out 75$ on an experiment.
Candycar,
I,too, am considering a grazing muzzle for my 8 year old mini gelding. He has gained so much weight since we got him 5 months ago. I don't have a dry lot. He grazes about 10 hours a day on a very short mixed Bermuda grass area. He gets 8 oz of Purina Miniature Horse and Pony Feed AM and PM. Since I am away from home 10 hrs a day during the week, I can't bring him out of the pasture midday. Would a grazing muzzle help?

The one I have "says" its supposed to limit up to 80%. Cayuse, for 1/2 + an hour out grazing it sure would help to limit intake. My little mare that wears one , is out for 2-3 hours grazing.

I know there are many owners that despise the "muzzle" , my opinion is, Id much rather see my minis out playing with one on, getting exercise , than locked up :)

Thanks guys. I guess a muzzle is the way to go :)
And thank you for the offer candycar! I did not see your post before I ordered one.

Candycar
Would you be willing to loan a grazing muzzle for my mini? I haven't purchased one yet.

Latest posts

Back