Gray Gene/White Markings on Face/Body in Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
DSC02409-11.jpg
Hey

I have a palomino colt that was tested for gray gene, because sire is gray(born sorrel). The tested show he was neg for gray gene, so he want change to gray.How is it that his sire is gray but didn't pass one gene to him?The shows gg which is no gray gene.The dam is solid buckskin.I like gray but I am glad he is staying palomino.He has Dippers duffy and dels cowboy in his bloodlines

I wanted to know if I should test him for LWO gene?He has blaze face.What causes white markings on the face.If you were to test what all would you test for?

http://www.paintbynu...501/126458.html show photos of him, i need to take new photos
default_smile.png

thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
His sire didn't pass on the grey gene, becuase it obviously only carried one. So he'd have to be Gg, and instead of the G (which is grey) passing on, the g passed on.

I'll leave the pinto stuff to those that know more about it, lol

I am no expert but I would assume that his sire is heterozygous for grey (just one grey gene and not two) and so he did not pass the grey gene on to your colt. If you plan to use him for breeding I would test for LWO - it can hide so better to know than to not know until it is too late. Sorry I can't advise what other things to test for but I am sure others will chime in.

Thanks you all
default_smile.png
He does not have rowdy in his pedigree that I saw, but I know other horses can carry the LWO gene.I have see on here that solid horses have tested for LWO gene with no white on them. Does the blaze markings mean pinto or what I can't remember? Could someone example the face markings to me thanks

If you plan to use him for breeding I would strongly urge you to get him tested for LWO. I think it is quite likely that he will turn up negative and then you will KNOW you can safely breed him to any mares. The consequences if you don't test, and he happens to be LWO+ and you happen to breed him to a mare that is LWO+ could be deadly. Just not worth the risk IMO, even though the risk is small. It only costs $25.

does anyone know of del cowboys or dippers duffy bloodlines with any LWO genes?

Your boy is a palomino because the dam passed him her cream gene while the sire passed him his sorrel.

You can have a horse with a full blaze and big white stockings but won't be pinto. That's the joy of white markings! Is there any reason you suspect pinto? What is he registered as?

I would test for OLW if unsure.

Your boy is a palomino because the dam passed him her cream gene while the sire passed him his sorrel.

You can have a horse with a full blaze and big white stockings but won't be pinto. That's the joy of white markings! Is there any reason you suspect pinto? What is he registered as?

I would test for OLW if unsure.
he is register palomino

i have see some solid horses surprised folks by having LWO gene.

I was just wondering does the face markings mean any pinto or splashed or etc?

Face markings are caused by sabino, splash or frame...I am not real good at looking at photos of horses with white markings and saying which gene is likely responsible as until quite recently I didn't have much experience with white markings (I always chose the horses that had as little white as possible!)

But yes, definitely face white can indicate pinto, just as white legs can. My Jewell is a loud tobiano/splash pinto (and possibly has sabino as well. She got her color from her sire, who is a solid chestnut with some white on his legs (no face white) He doesn't show the splash, but obviously it is there. Looking at that stallion you wouldn't really expect him to sire loud pinto foals but he has done it over & over again when bred to non-pinto mares.

I started learning when I bought my first pinto--that's when I really started taking an interest in white markings, and at that same time I got to know someone who is very knowledgeable about white markings and pinto patterns and so I would (and do) just ask her when I had questions about it.
default_biggrin.png

All white markings of any kind are an indication of Pinto, therefore your boy is technically a minimal Pinto. There is no such thing as "normal" white markings, as MM said, they all indicate Pinto.

I would say, just looking at him, thta he is Sabino, the blaze is pretty typical. BUT irrespective of whether it looks as if he has LWO, I think you should test him for it if you intend to use him for breeding.

Oh and he is not Grey because his sire is h/Z not H/Z for Grey, and thus had only one gene to pass on, which he obviously did not!! Clear as mud??

I would be very happy that he is not Grey- I do like grey ponies but I would never have a Grey stallion, nor a Roan if I could avoid it it- I think we had a thread on this not so long back??

Anyway he is a pretty boy, if you PM me his name I'll give you a pedigree for him if you want.

All white markings of any kind are an indication of Pinto, therefore your boy is technically a minimal Pinto. There is no such thing as "normal" white markings, as MM said, they all indicate Pinto.

I would say, just looking at him, thta he is Sabino, the blaze is pretty typical. BUT irrespective of whether it looks as if he has LWO, I think you should test him for it if you intend to use him for breeding.

Oh and he is not Grey because his sire is h/Z not H/Z for Grey, and thus had only one gene to pass on, which he obviously did not!! Clear as mud??

I would be very happy that he is not Grey- I do like grey ponies but I would never have a Grey stallion, nor a Roan if I could avoid it it- I think we had a thread on this not so long back??

Anyway he is a pretty boy, if you PM me his name I'll give you a pedigree for him if you want.

hey

my stud is WM Custom Made Duffys Cowboy

he has a small white markings on his upper lip as well.

do you have link about face markings what they mean?

thanks melissa

I have cleared my message box, sorry about that!!!

I'll go look him up- do you want me to put the pedigree up here??

From what I've read there is a fine between minimal 'normal' white and white markings caused by one of the sabino genes and of course other pinto genes
default_wacko.png

Have you got any links that talk about it all being pinto? Would be interesting to read
default_smile.png

Just wanted to add that I have a mare with the gray gene--she's a silver buckskin. She had three foals here and not one has the gray gene. She had very different colored foals... so I was glad her gray gene wasn't dominate.

If she is a silver buckskin she dont have the gray gene, she has the silver gene. Two different

Ashley--she can be a silver buckskin AND also have the grey gene. As I recall, Karla's mare is most definitely grey, I remember photos of her being posted on the forum & she was a silver buckskin going grey.

Latest posts

Back