Grass or feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
Which makes horses gain more weight, feed or grass? I am noticing that two of my minis are a little overweight since shedding their coats. Just a bit overweight, not too much. They get feed twice a day. They graze all day then go to their pen at night. One is really old and has quite a bit of trauma. His teeth are getting really smooth. The other one is old but in great shape. He also had some sickness. They are both in great shape compared to when I got them. I just don't want them to get too overweight. I am thinking about cutting back their feed.

Both can make them fat, especially if they aren't working, but just pasture puff pets. I'd monitor their grazing time, perhaps pull them off earlier, and reduce their feed at least a little bit (perhaps to the minimum recommended on the bag, there is usually an absolute minimum on the tag).

I like pasture, its natural and much cheaper than bagged feed. My ponies out on pasture do not get grain in the summer because they do not need both. Every horse is different, and so many factors come into play (horse's age, size, work load, feed quality and quantity, pasture size, type and grazing time). Breeding animals and nursing mares may need more feed than a pasture pet. If the pasture is adequate and maintained, they may be able to go off grain for the grass season.

I was feeding them all Mare and Foal feed. Since the two old guys needed a little extra nutrient also. The new equine vet suggested a type of sweet feed. That is what they feed theirs. I already had some bc my husband likes to give them that. TS was out of mare and foal until Thursday. I don't know exactly how much I feed. A big scoop in those med size silver dog bowls! I think I will just cut way back on the boys feed. Patty and baby still need theirs. I don't like them being in their pen. I like to watch them run around the yard and play and not be cooped up. Plus they get lots more interaction in the yard. I am sure I over feed. They just looked so bad when they got here. I feel like they will lose this little extra as it gets warmer. I will also put them up a little earlier. I also give them hay when I put them in their pen. I am really only concerned with the oldest one.

Yes, always give some hay when penning them up. They do best when they are always munching and the majority of the diet should be comprised of fiber. Limiting the grass intake in fat or founder prone horses will help. Added grazing and supplementing with grain will help older or under weight horses. Some need lots or grain, others need little to none. They all have different metabolisms.

I wouldn't cut back on their forage too much....either pasture or hay. Because they are older and one of them has teeth issues from age,

perhaps a Senior feed may be better for them. We measure in cups, so our plump ones only get a cup with their hay. Do any changes

gradually and do a "touch test" over their ribs and back bone about once a week.

Latest posts

Back