grass options

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Well, my poor boys are so tired of having nothing but dirt underfoot. I have tried to seed with "pasture mix" from tractor supply and have been disappointed with the results. So here is the scenerio. I have three minis on about 3/4 or an acre. All is dirt, duh! Is there anything I can use to seed it so that there will be something - anything there for them? I don't mind buying hay, and in fact have a barn full at present - plenty to get me thru the winter but I really feel bad that they have nothing "green". I have heard someone say they seeded with wheat every winter so there would be something there.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

If there is nothing I can do, then so be it, but surely there is something that will grow out there?

Shelley

First, since you already don't have grass, put in a sprinkler system. When it gets dry and the grass quits growing, the horses keep eating; results = no grass. The cost for a system would probaby be under a couple of hundred, if you do it yourself. At this time of year, I would plant Annual Rye Grass mixed with Bermuda Grass. The Rye will come up now and hopefully the Bermuda will root and come up next spring. Keep the horses off the pasture until you get a good stand of grass and keep it watered.

Rick

Try looking at safergrass.org for possible ideas and tips....

Margo

Call your extension agent, they can tell you what you need to do, I would get a soil test done, they are not expensive. Then you know what you need to put into the soil to get grass to grow!! We are also looking to seed our pastures and are working with our extension agent to see what we need to do and what type of grass for our soil!!

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back